Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HI!! and Help!! Please :)

cherryblast
July 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
new here, proud owner of a seal point siamese named Miss TT(4 years old) i've had her for under a year now and just last week added in a chocolate point siamese 18 months old (mother and daughter...) Misty.

Miss TT is very domeint! and she rules the house, when Misty came to us last week Miss TT was very well behaved and didn't show any aggressive behavior towards Misty, one night that all changed(we put Misty in our room by herself)and a fight broke out since then Misty has been hiding under bed she will come out to eat, litterbox and she will come out to get some loving from me.:)
They maybe have one fight a day otherwise Miss TT will sit there and watch her every move and when Miss TT goes under the bed Misty will growl/hiss at her. My DH does not believe in keeping cats separated while they adjust, so at night the bedroom door is open.

What can i do?? I really don't want to return Misty i'm just afraid that Misty will never come out of our bedroom in fear of being attacked!
Any help suggestions would be great!!:)

Frenchy
July 21st, 2010, 11:52 AM
When you get a new cat , you're suppose to keep the newbie separated from the resident cat for a while , like 1 to 3 weeks. That gives them time to get use to their scent. Then you can let newbie out for a few minutes a day and see how it goes.

also , putting a bit of baby powder on each cat would help. If they both smell the same , integration can be easier.

ancientgirl
July 21st, 2010, 11:57 AM
It sounds like you didn't allow enough time for proper introductions. When you bring a new cat into a home with existing cats, it's very important to give everyone time to get used to each other. Here are some sites that may help.

http://www.messybeast.com/first-impressions.htm

http://www.messybeast.com/first-impressions.htm

cherryblast
July 21st, 2010, 12:06 PM
Sounds like i have to start over its just my DH does not close our bedroom door at night even when ask him too, i think i will go to Wally world and buy a baby gate.:lightbulb: Maybe that will work??:)

ancientgirl
July 21st, 2010, 12:33 PM
Do you have an extra room or a bathroom or something where you can put the new kitty for a bit?

cherryblast
July 21st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Not quite sure if i could use the bathroom....no extra room....how about the basement??

ancientgirl
July 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM
I guess the basement would be okay. Is there plenty of light down there?

It's a matter of making the new kitty feel safe, then allowing each to explore the house at different times. Also, getting them used to each other's scents is important as well.

CallysMom
July 21st, 2010, 10:19 PM
Good luck with your kitties!!!:goodvibes: