Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mackenzie

garyb
July 21st, 2010, 11:23 AM
Our beloved Shih Poo, Mackenzie passed away last Friday. In spite of attempt by the neurologist to find the problem it was too late. He feels that Mackenzie developed a serious case of meningitis. An MRI was done and that was followed by a spinal tap.
However, I am wondering if Mackenzie had cancer as opposed to meningitis. He began to suffer some slight pain back in December of 2009. We took him to the vet and she couldn't find anything. However from time to time he would "yelp" when touched in certain areas. We took in back to the vet 2 weeks ago and she felt an area around his back and he once again flinched and cried out. He was given an anti-inflammatory and was sent home with some pain killers. A few days later we noticed that he seemed to still be in a drugged way and had not really improved. We took him back to the vet and it was suggested to see the neurologist as soon as possible, which we did. The vet suggested we get the MRI and that was followed by the spinal tap previously mentioned.
Additional tests were to be run, but Mackenzie was to far gone to proceed so we will never know.
So i am writing to see if anybody else has run into this situation.

Sylvie
July 21st, 2010, 11:25 AM
So sorry for your loss

I don't know anything about this but I am sure someone will be able to give you some information.

:rip: Mackenzie

hazelrunpack
July 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
I'm so sorry to hear abut Mackenzie, garyb :grouphug: It's so hard to lose a loved one.

A post-mortem exam might tell you more--if there was cancer there, they might be able to detect it in an autopsy.

:candle: Mackenzie

garyb
July 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM
He was cremated last week. Also this would be another expense and the whole thing has already cost us over $5,000.00.

hazelrunpack
July 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM
You know you did everything you could, Gary. :grouphug: No regrets--the end would have been the same regardless of the diagnosis. :(

I think everyone feels some guilt or unease after losing a beloved pet--could we have done more, did we wait too long, etc. But the truth is, you never know for sure. You just have to do your best--and no one can ask more of you. Not even Mackenzie. He knew how much he was loved, never doubt that. And try not to doubt yourself :grouphug:

I wish you peace of mind and heart's ease, Gary. May the happy memories quickly outweight the sad ones.

:candle:

Dog Dancer
July 21st, 2010, 06:04 PM
So sorry for your loss. You did what you could and Mackenzie left you knowing he was loved. RIP sweet pup.

garyb
July 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
thank you for all your kind words and thoughts, but I guess we are still looking for answers as to why what seemed to be a more or less healthy dog deteriorated so quickly in just a matter of a few days. Was it meningitis or was it cancer or perhaps something else? That's why I posted here to see if anybody had similar situations that we could compare it to.
Again, I thank everybody for their kinds words.

growler~GateKeeper
July 30th, 2010, 01:48 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Mackenzie :candle: He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: :grouphug:

garyb
July 30th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Thank you all for your kinds thoughts