Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost cat too

squirt19
July 20th, 2010, 12:08 PM
I have also lost a Cat, strictly indoor and declawed, (found him as a stray declawed) but he got outside, (learned how to open a closed but unlocked patio screen door), and with all the work having a newborn baby, I did not notice he was missing till the next morning. So missing since july 14th, and I had not seen him until sunday the 18th, close to the house, 2 or 3 blocks away.

Imagine my surprise to see him crouched in the bushes, that warm feeling that I have finally been reunited with my beloved cat. So I crouch down and call to him for a minute or so, and he stays put when I expect him to come to me, well he did not approach me and in my eagerness to catch him I advanced towards him and he bolts in the other direction.

So now I have not seen him since the 18th, put some info in peoples mailboxes, there are not alot of cats in my area (ajax also, harwood and bayly) so you think he would be easy to find but I have only seen him once in a week.

How the hell am I supposed to get him back if he won't come to me.
I thought about a cage but I dont really have the time to monitor it and I could catch a skunk/racoon/other cat etc.

I wish you luck in finding Scout but even if you do see him he may not come to you,

Hopefully your cat is smarter/less skittish than mine.

Love4himies
July 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM
You could try having a bag of his favourite treats, shake the bag and allow him to come to you. have a carrier waiting (if you can) to put him in. Do you have a friend that he knows that he wouldn't be too afraid of and could help you?

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2010, 12:20 PM
squirt19, do you have pics? If so, you should start a new thread about your kitty--you never know--someone might have seen him! :fingerscr More people will look at a new thread they haven't seen before.

squirt19
July 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
You could try having a bag of his favourite treats, shake the bag and allow him to come to you. have a carrier waiting (if you can) to put him in. Do you have a friend that he knows that he wouldn't be too afraid of and could help you?

tried the treats no go, I now assume all the time I was looking in the same area and called for him he just stayed hidden, unfortunately the night I saw him I was ill prepared and did not have any bait, (I figured I wouldnt se him again, and then there he was,

He pretty much avoided most visitors to the house unless they were in the house for a few hours at a time, even then if they got up from there seat he was gone,

But I was really surprised he did not come to me, not like I was yeling, very calm, calling him in the same way I would if he were in the basement and I were upstairs and he would come a runnin, apparently not when he is outside,

squirt19
July 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM
squirt19, do you have pics? If so, you should start a new thread about your kitty--you never know--someone might have seen him! :fingerscr More people will look at a new thread they haven't seen before.

I still think it may be early for picks, I am pretty sure he is staying in or around the field where I last saw him on sunday and since he is not so people friendly, (especially hates Childreen high pitched voices or otherwise I dont know) I dont think anyone would be able to catch him anyway, I mean if he wont approach me who knew him for the last 10 years, I cant see the liklihood of anyone else being able to help more,

I saw a good tip online, using a cat carrier and feeding a fishing line thru the holes in the back and closing the door behind kitty when he goes in I will try that but finding the time to hold a string 50 - 100 feet away fromt he carrier for 2-3 hrs straight is difficult while helping my wife attend to a 1 month old Baby.

Especially doing it late at night when he will be most active and then being able to function the next day with little sleep is almost not worht it, I mean if he doesnt want to come back who am I to argue.

I am sure he know where he lives but there is a Tomcat in the area closer to my house that may be keeping him away, I dont know.

Love4himies
July 20th, 2010, 12:47 PM
He may have been just scared :shrug:. Are you able to get a live trap to set where you last saw him?

squirt19
July 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
He may have been just scared :shrug:. Are you able to get a live trap to set where you last saw him?

I could access one but I have no time to monitor it, it was not near nor in sight of my property, if someone stole the trap I would be responsible for it.
I also work from 7:30am to 6:30 pm mon - fri (including commute)

So yeah, not alot of possibility there.

squirt19
July 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Quite surprised by the quick replies, thanks

I have heard of cats coming home weeks/months later, so I am keeping hope alive, it is good to know despite the drought we are having and no constant food that he was still alive after 5 days, Dont know how long he will last though.

chico2
July 21st, 2010, 08:10 AM
squirt,even if you cannot monitor a trap at all times,the best time to get a cat is at night,then you can keep an eye on it.
I've trapped cats and I do usually not leave a trap outside in the daytime.
At night with some smelly fishy cat-food,will work.
If you trap another cat,it's no biggie,you just set him free.
I am a bit concerned about your reluctance,I would do anything possible to find my cats,even if it meant losing sleep.

aslan
July 21st, 2010, 12:24 PM
Squirt you were given excellent advice on how to find your cat,,you have pushed each and everyone aside...your cat is in a strange world, scared,,now hungry and thirsty so yes he's in hiding. A comment about not looking for him cause you wont get enough sleep is going to upset people, especially when most of them gave you advice out of the goodness of their heart. and just as many are in rescue...

so once again,,go out late at night when it's quiet with a flashlight,,look under bushes,,take a bag of treats and a cat carrier..at your home put out his litterbox,,,something that smells like you to try and draw him home..

14+kitties
July 21st, 2010, 01:01 PM
I am sorry I am so late coming to this thread. Internet was down last night and I have been a little busy looking after my kitties plus a new baby that was dumped last night.
Anyway - I am pretty tired today so instead of typing out all of the tips please follow this link... :o
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69919
Maybe it will give you some help and things you haven't thought of before.

If you do not want to take on the responsibility of borrowing a live trap you can buy one at Home Depot, TSC stores, Canadian Tire, etc. They run around 80 to 100 dollars. They are a great investment for trapping cats. After you have successfully trapped your kitty it would be a wonderful donation to a cat rescue in your area. Ajax really does have a lot of cats.
When you set up the trap set it in an area that is off to one side and under some shelter - trees, etc. You can make it even better by covering it with an old blanket that smells like you or your wife. Bait it with sardines, tuna, whatever you can think of. Yes, you may get other animals. If so release them and try again. They won't go in twice. Hopefully it won't take long to catch your guy.
Seeing as you are up anyway in the middle of the night helping your wife with a one month old it's a perfect time to run over to the field where you think your kitty is and check.
Btw - he ran from you not because he doesn't love you. He ran because he was, and probably still is, petrified.
Good luck. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

squirt19
July 21st, 2010, 01:13 PM
Squirt you were given excellent advice on how to find your cat,,you have pushed each and everyone aside...your cat is in a strange world, scared,,now hungry and thirsty so yes he's in hiding. A comment about not looking for him cause you wont get enough sleep is going to upset people, especially when most of them gave you advice out of the goodness of their heart. and just as many are in rescue...

so once again,,go out late at night when it's quiet with a flashlight,,look under bushes,,take a bag of treats and a cat carrier..at your home put out his litterbox,,,something that smells like you to try and draw him home..

I understand that, and should have said "I wont get anymore good advice"

I did not push any suggestions aside, I neglected to mention that I have placed food and water out where I last saw him, and have been doing that since sunday when I saw him for the first time since he went missing cause obvoiusly I had no idea where he was hanging out.

While I have been searching every evening devoting 2 - 3 hrs each night which is as much free time as I have available, I cannot keep doing that until he is safely back home, I have other responsibilites that take presidence. Call me heartless/cold/noncaring/irresponsible, whatever, I am saying that a newborn baby and my relationship with my wife and her mental well being (post pardum) is 1000 times more important than finding my missing cat, I also see how it seemed that I said sleep vs kitty, and yes I did say that since I am employed and need to function during the day, selfish? your entitled to your opinions it doesnt mean I dont care about the cat.

As stated I am devoting as much time as I possibly can to look for him and the only thing I havent tried or discounted is a trap. Still no cat,

I do appreciate helpful tips such as the litter idea, but once again it has failed to draw him home. It's mostly the one guy who suggested his new owners might take care of him that got me raging, to call me irresponsible is so wrong. We could say the people who's children go missing because they take thier eyes off them for a second are also irresponsible but I dont think you would hear someone say that to the parent who's child is missing, while they may even be correct in that assertion they just dont know and it's rude.

Also in the 6 days now he has been missing and the 2 - 3 hrs each night of searching, I have only seen him once. my odds of bumping into him at this point seem slim at best, I realize the more I search the better chance I have but unfortuneatly for kitty, time is something I do not have.

I am quite confident walking with a flashlight and calling for him is useless as he already saw me in plain view, and ran away faster than I have ever seen him move.

squirt19
July 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM
I am sorry I am so late coming to this thread. Internet was down last night and I have been a little busy looking after my kitties plus a new baby that was dumped last night.
Anyway - I am pretty tired today so instead of typing out all of the tips please follow this link... :o
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69919
Maybe it will give you some help and things you haven't thought of before.

If you do not want to take on the responsibility of borrowing a live trap you can buy one at Home Depot, TSC stores, Canadian Tire, etc. They run around 80 to 100 dollars. They are a great investment for trapping cats. After you have successfully trapped your kitty it would be a wonderful donation to a cat rescue in your area. Ajax really does have a lot of cats.
When you set up the trap set it in an area that is off to one side and under some shelter - trees, etc. You can make it even better by covering it with an old blanket that smells like you or your wife. Bait it with sardines, tuna, whatever you can think of. Yes, you may get other animals. If so release them and try again. They won't go in twice. Hopefully it won't take long to catch your guy.
Seeing as you are up anyway in the middle of the night helping your wife with a one month old it's a perfect time to run over to the field where you think your kitty is and check.
Btw - he ran from you not because he doesn't love you. He ran because he was, and probably still is, petrified.
Good luck. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

Thanks 14+,

I realize I must sound heartless, I am going to get a trap for the weekened when I have much more free time, I will have to lock it as (maybe stupid) someone may steal it. Unlikely but not impossible.

I was pretty sure he knew who I was and someone else mentioned he is just scared, but Im thinking a trap is my only option at this point, the other problem (excuse) is I will probably get myself arrested as there are houses that back onto the field where he is and some guy walking around their houses in the middle of the night could seem suspicious.

I appreciate your well wishes and will do everything I can (which is apparently much less than others in the same situtation would do) to find the little guy.

14+kitties
July 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM
I was pretty sure he knew who I was and someone else mentioned he is just scared, but Im thinking a trap is my only option at this point, the other problem (excuse) is I will probably get myself arrested as there are houses that back onto the field where he is and some guy walking around their houses in the middle of the night could seem suspicious.

I appreciate your well wishes and will do everything I can (which is apparently much less than others in the same situtation would do) to find the little guy.

If you put a cat in an unfamiliar situation, such as outdoors as yours is, they can react quite violently. It does not matter that he has known you for 10 years. That is why I have said time and time again when you go to the shelter to please check the sick room and feral room as well. Too many tame house cats get put down because they "acted feral" when picked up. It is panic pure and simple. Cats are very much home bodies. They love their familiar area and do not do well outside of it.

Please understand you asked advice on a pet forum. A lot of us are deeply involved in rescue. We live, breathe this stuff daily. Yes, if one of ours was missing we would move heaven and earth to find them. That's just the way it is. I understand the new baby/wife thing. I had three of my own and suffered Postpartum with two. It's a difficult situation to be in. But I know you will do the best you can to find your companion.

Re the neighbours. Could you go door to door and speak to them or at the very least put notes in their mailboxes explaining why you are in the field? You never know. You may get some good leads. :fingerscr

aslan
July 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
squirt,,he most definately knew who you were but as 14+ said, right now he is petrified of what can happen to him between his hiding place and making it to you. The flashlight wasn't so he could see you it is so you can see his eyes reflect in the dark giving you a possible chance once again of coaxing him out.

I do understand you can't spend every waking moment looking for him, and now that you have given more info i'm sure you wont come off as uncaring. :fingerscr:goodvibes: that you and your kitty are re-united.

squirt19
July 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
If you put a cat in an unfamiliar situation, such as outdoors as yours is, they can react quite violently. It does not matter that he has known you for 10 years. That is why I have said time and time again when you go to the shelter to please check the sick room and feral room as well. Too many tame house cats get put down because they "acted feral" when picked up. It is panic pure and simple. Cats are very much home bodies. They love their familiar area and do not do well outside of it.

Please understand you asked advice on a pet forum. A lot of us are deeply involved in rescue. We live, breathe this stuff daily. Yes, if one of ours was missing we would move heaven and earth to find them. That's just the way it is. I understand the new baby/wife thing. I had three of my own and suffered Postpartum with two. It's a difficult situation to be in. But I know you will do the best you can to find your companion.

Re the neighbours. Could you go door to door and speak to them or at the very least put notes in their mailboxes explaining why you are in the field? You never know. You may get some good leads. :fingerscr

I thought I had mentioned here but did not, that I have actually placed a letter (no photo) in the mailboxes of those that back onto the field, so Hopefully if they do see the same strange guy back there they will get the idea, I spoke to a couple of them and one guy (before I actually saw my cat) based on the description said he saw it. as it turns out he did. Another said he works late which is perfect as the cat will be out early mornings late nights, then and I told him to call me anytime day or night.

so yeah hoping for some leads there.

BenMax
July 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM
I thought I had mentioned here but did not, that I have actually placed a letter (no photo) in the mailboxes of those that back onto the field, so Hopefully if they do see the same strange guy back there they will get the idea, I spoke to a couple of them and one guy (before I actually saw my cat) based on the description said he saw it. as it turns out he did. Another said he works night which is perfect as the cat will be out then and I told him to call me anytime day or night.

Best of luck to you squirt19. I hope you get him back soon. Usually cats do come back where they are most comfortable. He is obviously frightened and that is why he ran.

14+kitties
July 21st, 2010, 02:03 PM
I thought I had mentioned here but did not, that I have actually placed a letter (no photo) in the mailboxes of those that back onto the field, so Hopefully if they do see the same strange guy back there they will get the idea, I spoke to a couple of them and one guy (before I actually saw my cat) based on the description said he saw it. as it turns out he did. Another said he works night which is perfect as the cat will be out then and I told him to call me anytime day or night.

You may have mentioned it but I am getting old-er. :o :D Short memory. I do remember reading something about letters in mailboxes but I thought you meant in the immediate area around you.
Good luck. I will keep an eye out hoping for some good news. :thumbs up

squirt19
July 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
You may have mentioned it but I am getting old-er. :o :D Short memory. I do remember reading something about letters in mailboxes but I thought you meant in the immediate area around you.
Good luck. I will keep an eye out hoping for some good news. :thumbs up

funny enough he looks just like the one in your picture,

squirt19
July 21st, 2010, 03:02 PM
squirt,,he most definately knew who you were but as 14+ said, right now he is petrified of what can happen to him between his hiding place and making it to you. The flashlight wasn't so he could see you it is so you can see his eyes reflect in the dark giving you a possible chance once again of coaxing him out.

I do understand you can't spend every waking moment looking for him, and now that you have given more info i'm sure you wont come off as uncaring. :fingerscr:goodvibes: that you and your kitty are re-united.

Ahhh.. yes I have been looking for the flashy eyes in the bush, to no avail,

Thanks though.

14+kitties
July 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
funny enough he looks just like the one in your picture,

That's my Tinker. He is one of the ones that were born here of a feral mom. I hope your guy is as big of a suck as Tink is. :cloud9:

marko
July 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Only positive advice is required in this thread. Thanks in advance.

I too lost my cat about 5 years ago and when I spotted him, the bum ran away. I lost him in the same way, he opened a screen window and took off.
As the advice in this post has already mentioned, sometimes their instincts just take over when they see you outdoors.

I WAS able to find my cat a few days after he bolted when I saw him in the middle of the night, it was during the early morning. I heard him fighting with another cat.

Good luck Squirt19 :goodvibes:

squirt19
July 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Only positive advice is required in this thread. Thanks in advance.

I too lost my cat about 5 years ago and when I spotted him, the bum ran away. I lost him in the same way, he opened a screen window and took off.
As the advice in this post has already mentioned, sometimes their instincts just take over when they see you outdoors.

I WAS able to find my cat a few days after he bolted when I saw him in the middle of the night, it was during the early morning. I heard him fighting with another cat.

Good luck Squirt19 :goodvibes:

I was hoping the other cat may actually help me find Bitey but I have not heard them fighting outside so I think he is still away from the house,

I went to pick up a trap at the humane society but I made the mistake (didnt know it was a mistake at the time) of telling the humane society that the cat was not near my property and that I would be attempting to trap in a vacant field (public land) they informed me that it is illegal to trap on any other property than your own, and would not give me a trap after that, Guess I will have to go back and hope the same person is not there to try it on the weekend. hopefully it works, I have not seen him since sunday where I was searching and feel he could be anywhere now, or taken in, which I would not really consider a bad thing as long as he is getting taken care of but I will never know if thats the case, unless someone replys to my missing posters.

I have set out his old litter and a pillow which him and Squirt (cat # 2) sleep on, No word yet whether he came back but I fully expect to see him on the porch one of these days, more than a week now and no sign of him. I know cats are very resilient so I have high hopes but it is slowly dwindling with everyday.

chico2
July 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
squirt,put the trap out on your property,you don't know if he might be coming during the night,outdoor cats are more active after dark.
If you catch something else or the neighbors cat(like I did)just release him.
I put the trap out just before dark,kept an eye on it most of the night and got the cat I wanted to trap(not my own).
There is no need for the trap to stay out while the sun is shining and it's too hot,I always took my trap in in the morning.
You can do that,before leaving for work.

squirt19
August 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
***Update***

I accidentally left my patio door open on Saturday evening and lo and behold, poor Bitey showed up early sunday morning,
A lot skinnier and thirsty but seemingly no worse for wear, and he seems really happy to be home again,

I have locked him in the garage, in case he may have caught something in his adventure, that he could pass to the other cat before I get him to the vet.
So far he is eating, drinking and playful.

So happy ending,

thanks to all for thier advice and tips in finding the little guy.

chico2
August 3rd, 2010, 09:32 AM
Squirt,that's great news,I bet you are soooo relieved,a lot of bad things can happen to a declawed cat out there,I feared the worst.
Thank you for the wonderful news:thumbs up

Love4himies
August 3rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
I am so glad you found him :thumbs up and I hope he has learned from his experience. Being declawed, he has no defence or able to climb a tree :(.

14+kitties
August 3rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
:thumbs up That wasn't an accident. That was meant to happen. I am so happy he is back where he belongs. :highfive:

squirt19
August 3rd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Probably setting myself up for a swift asskick here, but.....

Since the cats seems fine, is energetic, playful, eating and using the litter.

Is it necesary for him to go to the vet.

I have him quarantined at this point so as to not affect/infect the other cat, but didnt feel it was necesary, if he was limp/immobile/vomiting/coughing,sneezing,runny nose, etc, there wouldnt be a second thought regarding it.

I think I am, already going to get a flood of, definately's but I was just wondering.

14+kitties
August 3rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
:laughing: You've been around the forum long enough to figure that out huh?
Have you checked him thoroughly for any scratches, bites, abcesses, etc that would indicate that he has been in a fight with other cats? Is he up to date on his shots? Can you at the very least phone your vets office and see what they would recommend? You may want to check him for fleas, ticks and ear mites as well and treat accordingly.

squirt19
August 3rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
:laughing: You've been around the forum long enough to figure that out huh?
Have you checked him thoroughly for any scratches, bites, abcesses, etc that would indicate that he has been in a fight with other cats? Is he up to date on his shots? Can you at the very least phone your vets office and see what they would recommend? You may want to check him for fleas, ticks and ear mites as well and treat accordingly.

If there was any life/death issue, the question would not have been asked,
I know he is not up to date on shots, I dont know that he ever had them, as I found him as a stray, and I dont think that's irresponsible, I just never intended him to be an outdoor cat and he has never been sick to have to go to the vets.

There are a couple marks I could consider bites, but it doesnt seem serious. Pretty close together to lead me to believe they are fangs, but not sure, they could be burrs burried in the fur, he is not upset about me rubbing the area but wont sit still enough for me to truly investigate. He always bites when you do something he doesnt like and I wanted to keep him biting me to a minimum so I have not forced anything on him so as to keep him calm, (he has still bit me. nothing serious light break inthe skin but again for this cat that's normal for the last 10 yrs.)

I hate to say it but the vets for the most part I find a money grab and will most likely tell me to come in regardless. While they do some good work when it is necesary, ( I have had pets in emerg for overnight care and such, when sick enough to warrant it.) I never felt a check up as necesary, (insert foot in butt right about now)

I Intended to leave him for a few days quarantine in the garage and then try to reintroduxce him and Fatty. I already know him and Fatty are not going to get along right away, but I am quite sure they will not kill each other over it and within a week they will be pally pally again.

I called the vet, but they put me on hold and have not come back yet.

chico2
August 3rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Squirt,if it was me and one of my cats were gone for that long,yes,I would defenitely take him for a check-up,just not to risk my other cats catching anything,then it would be really expensive,not to forget pain and suffering.

Chances are your kitty is ok and you do what you want,it's after all up to you.
I am very happy he's home though:thumbs up