Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A full house.

Goldfields
July 20th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Apart from my own 8 dogs, for 3 days I have had my sister and BIL here with their pack, below. Starting at the bottom with the tricolor, Sparkle, the order is Jenny, Shad(15 years old), Jessica(the GSD), Susie and Smokey Joe, then at Barbara's feet, the 7 month old pup, Cindy. The more I see of GSDs, the more I'd like one, Jessica is just so intelligent. Sadly she may be coming to the end. The vet believes she was injured as a tiny baby, probably by her mother standing on her, and they gave her around 18 months before they thought she would need to be put down. She is now 9, so they've done an excellent job of looking after her, however she suffers pain attacks and one day she'll not be able to be helped. Very sad.
I just loved having the puppy here. :lovestruck:I MUST NOT even think about getting another one myself though, my oldies come first. That's very sad too. :D
A few things I noticed. The sheep came nowhere near the house yard when the strange dogs were here.:eek: The cockatoo did very little talking, and I saw next to nothing of our outdoor cats. I'm sure all our animals are glad they've returned home, I might be the only one who misses them.

Love4himies
July 20th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Awww, they are beautiful :cloud9:

So where are your dogs??? We need to see them too :o :p

chico2
July 20th, 2010, 07:54 AM
L4H,I believe the beautiful Shelties belong to Goldfields,I LOVE Shelties,gorgeous gentle pups:lovestruck:

ancientgirl
July 20th, 2010, 08:56 AM
They are all so cute! :lovestruck:

Dog Dancer
July 20th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Okay I was totally lost on who was who, but what a great looking bunch of pups. Who doesn't love Shelties??

Love4himies
July 20th, 2010, 09:56 AM
L4H,I believe the beautiful Shelties belong to Goldfields,I LOVE Shelties,gorgeous gentle pups:lovestruck:

I thought they were all her sister's dogs :confused:

Goldfields
July 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Love4himies, yes, you are right, those are Barb's dogs. While I'd been showing dogs off and on for quite a while, she started off showing Dobes, then got into Obedience with shelties I'd reckon back in the 70s, and tracking with both her Shepherds and shelties. To try and sort the dogs out for you, the black one with her back to the camera(a tricolor), Sparkle, is the mother of the pup at Barb's feet. The sable girl to the left of Sparkle is Jenny, the mother of the sable girl, Susie, on the right of the GSD. The other two are the sheltie boys, dear old Shad in front of the GSD, and the blue merle on the right, Smokey Joe. All bar the pup, Cindy, would have obedience and Tracking titles and a couple may be Tracking Ch's.

The GSD is loose with her shelties and I guess is alpha dog, but she rules without hurting any of them. I would not introduce my pack to hers partly because of the Shepherd, which can be overly protective, and also because my boys and hers may not get on. We both felt it was unwise.
Here are some of mine, just the two sable girls , Silk and Gemma(closest to camera), and the shaded sable boy that had the bladders stones, Toby. Need to get the grooming up to date and take some more pics of the rest before they drop their winter coats.

hazelrunpack
July 20th, 2010, 12:11 PM
They're all beautiful, GF! Love the name, Sparkle! :D Love Sparkle's coloring, too!

Dee-O-Gee
July 20th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I remember my old neighbors next store (god rest their souls), had 2 beautiful shelties.

Your Toby boy reminds me alot of my neighbor's shelties and brings back good neighborhood memories. :angel:

Goldfields
July 20th, 2010, 11:17 PM
These are for you Hazel, a better look at Sparkle, which I agree is a lovely name, and one of her son, Orlo, seeing you like the tricolors. I could have done so much winning in the showring with a nice little sheltie like Sparkle, but Barb won't show at all.

Goldfields
July 20th, 2010, 11:29 PM
klm, Toby's a dear little guy. We call him our boy soprano seeing he has a high pitched bark compared to the others. LOL. Wish I'd had neighbors with shelties when I was a child. The highlight for my week back then was when an elderly chap walked his superb Collie Rough past our place, or when Kim, a Border Collie from around the block, would come around and lay on the nature strip opposite our place, hoping to lure my Fox Terrier into chasing him. They'd roar off to the bottom of the street, where Kim would turn and get into Scottie, but I can't recall him ever really hurting him much. The other thing I loved was when close friends used to let their two Greyhounds out for a run, just up the street and back. All memories that helped make me the dog lover I am I guess.

lindapalm
July 20th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Goldfields, the picture of Sparkle brought tears to my eyes, Mollie could have been her twin. The first picture of all the dogs gathered around looked like it was story time at day care, too cute.

Goldfields
July 21st, 2010, 12:09 AM
Oh, that's nice, Lindapalm, then I'm glad I posted it. :) It's nice to remember our angel fur kids. Barbara lets her dogs follow her everywhere, she trains with food, so they not only pay close attention to her, there is some separation anxiety going on if they can't be with her. Not sure if it effects the dogs or her the most. LOL. Ours on the other hand are used to being left inside when we need to do outside work. Can you imagine me trying to pull a lamb with 8 dogs hovering? LOL. The poor old ewe might get a bit upset. Or doing something with the stallion. He'd get after the dogs I imagine.

Golden Girls
July 21st, 2010, 08:32 AM
Their all beautiful :cloud9: Thanks for sharing!

luckypenny
July 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
Gorgeous pups! And omd, Orlo :flirt:!

Goldfields
July 21st, 2010, 10:15 AM
Orlo is a bit special, isn't he, LP? Barb won't sell any pups to show homes you know, only to pet homes or to people interested in obedience. She likes the dogs to lead an interesting life. I think it just depends on the dog whether it will find showing enjoyable or not though, the first cattle dog girl I titled thought home was much more entertaining than the show ring, but my red pair loved it. With my shelties, if they didn't like it, like my spooky boy, Toby, I wouldn't enter them, it's not fair to them. The thing both of us hate though is that a lot of show people will rehome dogs after they finish showing or breeding with them - poor dogs that probably adore them too, it's heartless.

Floppy Dog
July 21st, 2010, 04:51 PM
Goldfields, Just a quick question about breed names. Are the larger versions of Shelties called Shelties too? You know, the "Lassie, Come Home" dog. Also, I've read that the name derives from Shetland and that the breed originated in Shetland Islands off the cost of Scotland. Is this also true?

hazelrunpack
July 21st, 2010, 08:38 PM
They're both gorgeous. And I am just a tad biassed toward the tris...but only just a tad cuz I don't wanna hurt any of their feelings. :D