Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thai Got Nuetered....OUCH

ThaiGhing
September 10th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Hey all, this is the morning after the nuetering. Thai is laying at my feet as I type this message.
We took him to the vet yesterday morning, and picked him up last night. They told us he probably wouldnt want to eat anything, as he was groggy and maybe his tummy would get upset if he ate.
WELL>... they definitely didnt realize who they were talking about... Thai came home, chasing squirrels.... and when we got into the house, he literally cried at his bowl to get some food!! So i gave him a little, it was gone in seconds! I gave him more, again gone in seconds! This happened over and over... WOW. The little guy was hungry!
He didnt seem to be groggy or anything. We opted for the IV fluid push during surgery..... and I believe that helped him out of the sedation a lot quicker.
He is home and doing well now. He is resting alot, but as soon as we get out side for his walk, he is chasing squirrels, birds, planes, etc. Hard to imagine that he just had surgery.

GsdDiamond
September 10th, 2004, 09:10 AM
I'm so happy your little guy is doing so well!!! They sure have a way of surprising don't they??

Princesss04
September 10th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Meat Loaf was fixed this morning and he is home now. The vet told us to give him ice cream for the day. Did your vet give you pills for him? I am so glad to hear that your baby is doing okay.

ThaiGhing
September 10th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Well the vet told us not to give him much food, as he may have an upset tummy, or because he is groggy may make him vomit.
BUT.... Thai loves his food. And as I mentioned, he was literally crying at his bowl when we got home. He ATE so much, and no vomitting. He was not groggy at all. He is resting now.. but he has little spurts of energy, and will play for a few minutes with his toys, etc.
I am glad your baby is ok too. The vet said Thai wouldnt need any pain medication, as he was given some through his IV during surgery, and transdermally (sp) through his ear?? So he doesnt seem to be in any pain this morning, if anything, he seems almost back to normal.

Princesss04
September 10th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Justin (my husband) took him since I had to work and the vet gave him some pills and Justin did not ask what they are for. I do not know if they are for pain infection or what?

BamaRama
September 10th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Aww, glad to hear that your baby is okay!

I heard somewhere (correct me if I am wrong!) that it is less painful for a dog to be neutered than to be spayed--meaning that the surgery is less invasive on male dogs, therefore they recover quicker? Any truth to that? I imagine that would be true, as spaying actually involves stitches and such, and an internal surgery, whereas neutering just involves 2 little pokes?

Someone correct me here if I am wrong! :)

Princesss04
September 10th, 2004, 11:04 AM
No that is right it is alot harder for a femald dog than a male. Just the same as in the human race. It is easier for a male to get fixed than the female/. :D :eek:

ThaiGhing
September 10th, 2004, 11:11 AM
The vets said the nuetering is less painful than spaying. But I have only had male pets, so I wouldnt know from experience.
Thai is now in the middle of a puppy spaz... he is running around, playing, jumping around etc. (5 mins later) I just changed the laundry over, and the puppy spaz has ended.. He is now lying down on the patio outside, resting in the sun. LOL.

Donna Marie
September 10th, 2004, 12:39 PM
The vets said the nuetering is less painful than spaying. But I have only had male pets, so I wouldnt know from experience.
Thai is now in the middle of a puppy spaz... he is running around, playing, jumping around etc. (5 mins later) I just changed the laundry over, and the puppy spaz has ended.. He is now lying down on the patio outside, resting in the sun. LOL.

Spaying is more invasive.

That reminds me of when I adopted Cleo at the SPCA. On the cage it said the kitten was a male. Perfect, exactly what I wanted! When I got him home and looked him over, he had stitches on his belly. I panicked....I thought "What is wrong with this poor thing?". I phoned the branch where I adopted her and they said "Oh, no, that kitten is actually a female!" I actually named "him" Samson at first....that changed. We had a boy years ago that at first we thought was a female....and named him Cleo, so I figured I should just recycle the name. Suits her though...she is like the real Cleopatra...without lovers.

Luba
September 10th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Absolutely a spay is more invasive.

Tis the season for altering YIPPIE :D

I'm proud of all you responsible people!!!

Writing4Fun
September 10th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Tis the season for altering YIPPIE :D
Sure is! The vet just called. Phoebe is out of sugery and resting comfortably now. I'll be picking her up at 6:00 tonight.

Not looking forward to keeping her off of those stitches. I hope we don't have to resort to the "satelite dish"!! :p

Good job, Thai and Meat Loaf! Welcome to the "no nookie" club! :D

ThaiGhing
September 10th, 2004, 02:59 PM
You would not believe the number of irresponsible people I have had to deal with while deciding to neuter Thai.
Most of the people that I told we were getting Thai fixed, kept trying to sway me to let him breed just one time. I kept stressing the point, that if someone wanted a puppy like Thai, I would be happy to give them the breeders name and number, but Thai was not going to be a stud dog, he was a family pet, and I was being responsible.
I stuck by my decision, I had him fixed yesterday, and glad to report, Thai is feeling wonderful, he has a couple of stitches (he is not licking them, yippee), and now I will stop being hounded by people.
You see we take Thai daily to the leash free park, and the ladies there (who mostly own labs) keep bothering me to have Thai as a stud for their females. NOPE!! Not gonna happen, t hats what i keep telling them, and now, cant happen (well at least when there is no more residual sperm present). So thats the end of their hasselling me.
I am glad its all over with, Thai seems happy, and no issues so far. Thanks for everyones happy thoughts here. Makes me feel better about making this SMART and RESPONSIBLE decision. You would not believe what some people have resorted to to try to get me to breed him... telling me instead of spending money on my dog i could be making money... AS IF.. thats a reason to bring more mixed breed dogs into the world! YIKES...with thoughts like that no wonder there are so many animals out there still waiting for a forever home!

Writing4Fun
September 10th, 2004, 03:06 PM
"Residual sperm"? Wow! I learn something new every day on this board! :D

You mean total strangers are asking you to cross-breed your male with their females?? What are these people on?! I know I have this arguement with a couple of friends (luckily, most of my friends are completely pro-altering, or I'd have to move and get a whole new set of friends). But to be approached by a total stranger? Wow! Dog pimps in the park! What next?! :eek:

ThaiGhing
September 10th, 2004, 03:16 PM
There people that I assumed were responsible pet owners... were approaching me the first day they saw Thai and I. I could not believe it. And they were forceful, and they were trying to like twist my arm to give in.. NO WAY. Thai is our family pet. He is not a money making machine cause he doesnt have any pockets to keep his money in..LOL.
And yes, the vet mentioned to us yesterday when we picked Thai up, that there can be residual sperm present for approx. 6 weeks after the neutering, so to keep any unfixed female dogs away from him or risk an unplanned pregnancy! OOps... I didnt know that either. So I learned something new too! Thats a good bit of information to know.
So keep the doggie pimps away... cause Thai may have a few swimmers left. LOL. ;)

Beautygirl
September 11th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Congrats on having your pets spayed/neutered. It's great that you are being responisible pet owners (and yes, I'm sure Bob Barker would be proud). Beauty is scheduled to be done on the 20th.

moontamara
October 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM
This is an old thread, but I didn't feel like making a new one...

My toy poodle Casey is now gonadless too, and it has already been 2 days and he's not handling it very well emotionally. I'm sure he doesn't know his boys are gone or anything, but he is very sensitive about the incision area. He can't walk -- he just sprints from one area to another and promptly lies on the ground. He tries to lick there but I've scolded him (gently of course, my poor dear) and he does his best to resist. I took him back to the vet (my vet doesn't charge for this kind of visit) this evening and she said that he looks great and nothing is wrong with him physically.

Any thoughts on how I can make him more comfortable while he heals? He's eating and drinking water great, although peeing wherever the heck he wants (he does try to make it to the pee pad 75% of the time, but taking him outside doesn't work since all he wants to do out there is lie on the ground *sigh*). I know he's making these mistakes because he can't get himself into position comfortably and then ends up waiting until its an emergency.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chico2
October 7th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Tamara,having mostly had male cats,I know they,just like people react differently to any kind of surgery.
Anasthesia(SP)makes some sick and some just jump right back.
The whole experience might have traumatized Casey a bit and he knows something is missing :D
I know I get sick as a dog(no pun int)and I've only had 2 minor surgeries in my life!
If your vet has excluded any problems,Casey should be his normal self in no time :)

Writing4Fun
October 7th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Tamara, Phoebe had the exact same problem with her spay incision. She'd sprint around, running lower to the ground than usual (like she was expecting the roof to cave in) and then suddenly slam her belly to the floor. Luba suggested it's because the floor is cooler and helps to ease the itching/discomfort of the incision site. I don't think there's any kind of product you can put on it to help with the itching (I asked and don't remember getting a reply). I think all you can do is make sure he doesn't rip his stitches open, keep an eye out for infection, and let him deal with is as best he can. He'll be better in no time - you'll see. ;)

glasslass
October 7th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Poor little Casey! :( One time I accidently trimmed Den-Den's tail too close and he did the same thing. I felt soooo guilty! Do you have pure aloe vera gel? It can be very soothing. Did they shave the area? It might be the stubble more than the incision that is bothering him. If so, should only last a day or so.

moontamara
October 7th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Thanks Chico, Writing4Fun and Glasslass! I know he'll be okay... but I feel sorry for him -- all that trauma!!!

Vicki, yes that's exactly what he does!!! The running close to the ground thing too! So he mostly just sleeps in his kennel cab or on someone's lap. He's no longer allowed to sleep on the couch, as he's already peed on it once :rolleyes: (my fault, I know!).

Glasslass, my brother once gave a Bichon of ours a close-cropped cut (and a mohawk -- he was experimenting). He thought it would be cute and just grow out and be no big deal -- but Molly HATED the way she felt. Not only could she feel her tail on her back and hate the way the air felt on her skin, but everyone laughed at her when they saw her. Poor trauma puppy! Once we all stopped laughing, she improved immensely, but she wasn't herself for another week!!!

Yes, the shaving makes it worse, but it's already been a few days, and he's still quite bothered... he'll be fine, I'm sure.

Thanks again, all!!!

wAggie
October 8th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Aww!! doesn't it feel GOOD that u did something so wonderful for ur dog as neutering??!

after Choco was neutered, I couldn't stop smiling!! hehe :D