Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Focus - a good evening at work

Gail P
July 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Last evening I got a call from someone telling me that the geese were back in town (for anyone who doesn't know, I provide a goose control service with two of my dogs). So I went into town and discovered that part of the road by the river was blocked off, there was a band set up there playing and a crowd of people. Went around a different way, parked down by the end of the "riverwalk" and began to do our thing. My daughter helps me, there is a path along each side of the river so we each take a dog and work on opposite sides. Until the goslings are fully fledged and the adult geese finished their summer molt we can't make them fly away but encourage them to swim downstream away from the public areas so that they don't mess up the pathways. The dogs stalk the geese, making them feel uncomfortable/unsafe and they move on. My daughter works Storm and since he is better suited to working in a different, more open kind of setting (like golf courses, parks, resorts) she keeps him on a 50' line until we are further downstream and well away from the public pathways. Rain works very well off leash, totally ignoring everything and everyone when she is working. Well the closer we got to the main bridge, the busier it got with people walking the path, standing/sitting around and some with dogs. The dogs ignored them all, Rain slinking along the edge of the river, eyes on the geese, so completely focused she couldn't have cared how big the crowd was. Got some questions and lots of positive comments. Also some laughs when Rain jumped over a guy laying on the grass on the riverbank :o I said she doesn't let anything interfere with her work, including someone laying in her way :p There seemed to be a lot of people interested in watching the dogs work, it was a good PR opportunity.

hazelrunpack
July 17th, 2010, 11:41 PM
That does sound like a great PR op! :D Wish I were one of the crowd! :o I'd love to see your dogs at work!

growler~GateKeeper
July 18th, 2010, 07:27 AM
:laughing: Way to go Rain :D

Tundra_Queen
July 19th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Gail, sounds like the dogs enjoy their work.:D

Sylvie
July 19th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Good work guys

I have never seen geese herding in real life but have seen it on TV

I too would like to see your guys in operation. :thumbs up

Gail P
July 19th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Gail, sounds like the dogs enjoy their work.:D

They sure do :thumbs up

Anyone wanting to see them work, there is lots of opportunity these days. The geese are just not getting it this year. Last year at this time we had convinced them that the town wasn't a very friendly place to be and they were staying away for a few days or a week or two at a time and then they were gone for the whole month of August and only returned for a few days in September. This year they have been coming back every single day except one or two, and sometimes more than once/day. The last few days we've worked mornings and evenings, which makes the dogs happy. :dog: The pay I will be accumulating will make me happy :D The people who walk the path daily are happy :thumbs up. Will the town be happy? :shrug: Yes and no I would guess. Yes that the job is getting done, no that it's costing them more this year. Thems the breaks though I guess...we're dealing with wildlife and we can't always predict how they will act.

Dog Dancer
July 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Gail, I think last summer you posted some pics of the dogs at work. So cool! I bet the crowd would have loved watching them. I know I would have.

Gail P
July 22nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Gail, I think last summer you posted some pics of the dogs at work. So cool! I bet the crowd would have loved watching them. I know I would have.

I did post some last year, last year's photos are the only ones I have of the dogs working. I don't normally take a camera along when working and besides, I'd mostly get butt shots of Rain stalking the geese :laughing: Would be neat to have someone with a really good zoom take some from the opposite side of the river when she's slinking along. If I can ever remember I may try to take the camera along again and see if any good photo ops come up.