Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Coyote Food

Love4himies
July 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Here we go again :rolleyes:, a person in my subdivision is scared because her grandchildren are coming and we have coyotes and deer ticks and blames me for feeding the deer in the winter :yell:. We live in a densely forested area that backs onto 100's of acres of pure woods.

She wants to get rid of all the deer so the coyotes don't come around :rolleyes::rolleyes:, sooooooo, I know deer can't be their main food here in Ontario, does somebody have any info on Coyotes main diet? Hoping maybe NoahGrey can help me with some info.

I do have an article that the deer ticks are from migratory birds that I am going to forward to them.

And these people were thinking of moving to Canmore AB :wall:, how would they control the grizzlies and cougars :yell:, stay in the city if you are afraid of wildlife :yell::yell:

joeysmama
July 15th, 2010, 06:57 PM
We had a coyote problem in our neighborhood about 16 years ago and I think, at that time, they told us that they eat small animals, rodents and such. We were quite upset becasue one of the coyotes was coming out a lot in the day time and we saw it stalk and catch a cat.

Are you putting out cats and mice for the coyotes? I didn't think so. With acres of woods does your neighbor have any idea how much food you would have to put out in order to keep the deer population strong ???

I hate when people react like that with no knowledge or information. :wall:

free
July 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
we haved lived with a pack of coyotes in the green space behind our house.when we moved in 14 yrs ago there was no deers left in the field only mice rabbits and stray cats. when the rabbit population decreased the coyotes moved on, the pass few years the population increased and the coyotes are back. people have seen them walking through the socceer field to their den during the day, they will leave you alone if you leave them alone

14+kitties
July 15th, 2010, 09:46 PM
L4, how could you!!! You, all by your lonesome, are responsible for all the deer and coyote around you! Badddddd!!!! Now her grandkids are going to be running around covered in little tiny deer ticks. If she lets them out. She'll probably wrap them in cellophane and make them stay indoors. :wall:
Seriously, do these people have nothing better to do with their time than think of ways to irritate others? Why did they move to a country area if they don't want to put up with country things? :confused:You move to the country it's supposed to be a given that the amenities and surroundings are a little different than they are in the city. :shrug:
We have problems with "city folk" moving to the country and then complaining about the farm smells. Well DUH! :rolleyes:

Gail P
July 15th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Here are a couple of links to info about coyotes you may find helpful:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW/2ColumnSubPage/287573.html

http://lewand.tripod.com/coyotefacts.html

Deer ticks may spend the early part of their life on birds or small mammals, but in the later stages of their life cycle they do move on to larger hosts such as deer, dogs or humans.

Tundra_Queen
July 16th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Here we go again :rolleyes:, a person in my subdivision is scared because her grandchildren are coming and we have coyotes and deer ticks and blames me for feeding the deer in the winter :yell:. We live in a densely forested area that backs onto 100's of acres of pure woods.

She wants to get rid of all the deer so the coyotes don't come around :rolleyes::rolleyes:, sooooooo, I know deer can't be their main food here in Ontario, does somebody have any info on Coyotes main diet? Hoping maybe NoahGrey can help me with some info.

I do have an article that the deer ticks are from migratory birds that I am going to forward to them.

And these people were thinking of moving to Canmore AB :wall:, how would they control the grizzlies and cougars :yell:, stay in the city if you are afraid of wildlife :yell::yell:

My best friend from high school lives in Canmore! Tell the lady there are coyotes there too as my g/f has seen them walking down the main street and in her backyard! :laughing::laughing: They also have deer but she doesn't feed them...they just show up. But really coyotes eat mice and rabbits and such.

Tell the person she will just have to check the kids for ticks when they come into the house...tell her also she can buy a few guinea fowl and they will eat the ticks! :laughing: Maybe she can rent some for when her grandkids are there.... :laughing:

Idiots!

Love4himies
July 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
L4, how could you!!! You, all by your lonesome, are responsible for all the deer and coyote around you! Badddddd!!!! Now her grandkids are going to be running around covered in little tiny deer ticks. If she lets them out. She'll probably wrap them in cellophane and make them stay indoors. :wall:
Seriously, do these people have nothing better to do with their time than think of ways to irritate others? Why did they move to a country area if they don't want to put up with country things? :confused:You move to the country it's supposed to be a given that the amenities and surroundings are a little different than they are in the city. :shrug:
We have problems with "city folk" moving to the country and then complaining about the farm smells. Well DUH! :rolleyes:

I know those couple of months in the winter keep the deer around all year long :eek:, or is the natural vegetation that they feed on that keeps them around :lightbulb: :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:, these deer and coyote were here LONG before I moved in, we have convenants on our deed that states we must leave our lots in their natural condition, so the deer have not moved away.
Here is a link to my subdivision, you will get the idea of what type of wilderness we are living in:
http://www.landonbayeast.com/index.html

Maybe we should cut down all the trees and pave it :lightbulb: :thumbs up, that'l teach them deer not come around and bring the coyotes with them :laughing:

Love4himies
July 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Here are a couple of links to info about coyotes you may find helpful:

http://lewand.tripod.com/coyotefacts.html

Deer ticks may spend the early part of their life on birds or small mammals, but in the later stages of their life cycle they do move on to larger hosts such as deer, dogs or humans.

Thanks Gail. I love the first one. If they want to get rid of the coyotes, there are a lot of rodents, rabbits, chipmunks and wild turkeys they need to get rid of first. I will include those links in my e-mail.

Love4himies
July 16th, 2010, 06:39 AM
we haved lived with a pack of coyotes in the green space behind our house.when we moved in 14 yrs ago there was no deers left in the field only mice rabbits and stray cats. when the rabbit population decreased the coyotes moved on, the pass few years the population increased and the coyotes are back. people have seen them walking through the socceer field to their den during the day, they will leave you alone if you leave them alone

So true. When I bike into work (30 km of rural hwy), I have more of a fear of meeting domesticated dogs, than a pack of coyotes.

Tundra_Queen
July 16th, 2010, 08:31 AM
L4H...u bike into work? Like every day? Is that why it takes u an hr to get there?

The place is just beautiful...like a piece of heaven! How long have u lived there? And how large is your lot?

My parents and I use to go camping around there when I was a kid...lovely area!

NoahGrey
July 16th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Here the OMNR site

everything from behaviour, biology, landowner conflicts, disease, population, habitiat, life cycle, diet,

BenMax
July 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=14+kitties;937362]L4, how could you!!! You, all by your lonesome, are responsible for all the deer and coyote around you! Badddddd!!!! QUOTE]

Yep - all by herself she has caused mayhem for these people.!

Great job there 14+K. Can you do anything to ensure that we start reproducing more stupid people at the same time?

Love4himies
July 16th, 2010, 09:26 AM
L4H...u bike into work? Like every day? Is that why it takes u an hr to get there?
On the good days :D and yes that is why it takes an hour. It is so peaceful and I get to say good morning to the horses, geese, cows, chickens and ponies on my way in :cloud9:, just makes the day go so much better.

The place is just beautiful...like a piece of heaven! How long have u lived there? And how large is your lot?
We built in 2005, we live on 2.5 acres

My parents and I use to go camping around there when I was a kid...lovely area!

It is just beautiful here, well worth the drive into work. I back onto a campground, maybe it the same one you camped at??

Rick C
July 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM

A scattered response . . . .

Well, you shouldn't be feeding the deer but that's a debate, uh, for a thread already closed . . . . :crazy::sleepy:

If there is edible, normal deer food around then the deer will be around. It won't have a lot to do with whether or not they're fed by humans or not.

Coyotes are everywhere and have proven to be extremely adaptable to living with human's nearby. I see them virtually every day around my acreage southwest of Calgary. They are frequently sighted in major municipalities, frequently following park spaces or natural rivers into these cities. Cougars and bears are occasionally spotted in Calgary.

Coyotes generally won't bother with healthy deer but are interested in weak or dying deer or, better yet, deer that are already dead as they are scavengers. It's always amusing around here to see something large that's freshly dead and then see it disappear to nothing but bones through the ensuing week as scavengers like coyotes come back night after night.

Coyotes generally look for mice and gophers, after-birth from cattle, dead or dying deer, etc, etc.

Cougars, coyotes, wolves, lynx, bears and even more obscure but extremely nasty critters like wolverines will always be around Canmore, there for elk, moose, deer, rabbits, etc, etc.

In our valley southwest of Calgary, we're always suspicious when the deer DISAPPEAR because it might mean a cougar is in the area. Otherwise, the deer are around us every day.

A few weeks ago southwest of Calgary, a local acreage owner put out some road kill and a camera just to see what might show up. First a huge male cougar and then four others, a female and three older kit. This was about seven miles from our house and about four miles from where I regularly engage my lengthy, very lonely, early morning runs in the country.

Although I would encourage you to stop feeding the deer, whether you do or not probably has little to do with how many coyotes are around.

Mathematically, if you have a population of 8000 deer in your area and they live an average of 8 years, then that means there are 1000 corpses around every year for coyotes to scavange.

below, finding corpses on the prairie is one of Abby & Keeper's favourite things to do, in this case the final resting place of an elk (don't worry, this scene lasted about 30 seconds before I shooed them away):

http://www.goldentales.ca/CSC_3012-edit1.jpg

Below, I don't feed the deer but they're around all the time . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1120330_edited-1.jpg

And we live in a major elk migratory corridor, so our herd of more than 100 comes and goes with a seasonal rythem . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/18010005-edit1.jpg

Below, Le Coyote, up close and eyeing Abby. This one was obviously experienced and had probably been successful with domestic dogs at campgrounds in K-Country.

http://www.goldentales.ca/CSC_3570-edit1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

luckypenny
July 16th, 2010, 09:34 AM
You reside on a piece of heaven, L4H :cloud9:. The covenants state fencing can be put up within the development zone...perhaps you can suggest to your neighbor to install one...tell her certain colors deter ticks and coyote or something...she sounds likely to believe it :rolleyes:.

Floppy Dog
July 16th, 2010, 11:30 AM
OMG, why can't stupidity be fatal? L4H, if your neighbour moved to Vancouver, BC she'd still have to deal with cyotes, not to mention bears and beavers, in Canada's 3rd (or have we moved to 2nd to beat out Montreal yet?) largest city! This is Canada, for heaven's sake, get used to it. As for ticks. she should try New England! Largest concentration of lime disease due to tick bites in North America!

TwinTails
July 16th, 2010, 11:35 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote

From wikipedia:

"Diet and hunting

Coyotes are opportunistic, versatile carnivores with a 90% mammalian diet, depending on the season. They primarily eat small mammals, such as voles, prairie dogs, eastern cottontails, ground squirrels, and mice, though they will eat birds, snakes, lizards, deer, javelina, and livestock, as well as large insects and other large invertebrates. Any species of birds that nests on the ground are targeted by coyotes. Though they will consume large amounts of carrion, they tend to prefer fresh meat. Fruits and vegetables are a significant part of the coyote's diet in the autumn and winter months. Part of the coyote's success as a species is its dietary adaptability. As such, coyotes have been known to eat human rubbish and domestic pets. They catch cats and dogs when they come too close to the pack. Urban populations of coyotes have been known to actively hunt cats, and to leap shorter fences to take small dogs. In particularly bold urban packs, coyotes have also been reported to shadow human joggers or larger dogs, and even to take small dogs while the dog is still on a leash. However, this behavior is often reported when normal urban prey, such as rabbits, have become scarce. [5]
Coyotes shift their hunting techniques in accordance with their prey. When hunting small animals such as mice, they slowly stalk through the grass, and use their acute sense of smell to track down the prey. When the prey is located, the coyotes stiffen and pounce on the prey in a cat-like manner. Coyotes will commonly work in teams when hunting large ungulates such as deer. Coyotes may take turns in baiting and pursuing the deer to exhaustion, or they may drive it towards a hidden member of the pack.[5] When attacking large prey, coyotes attack from the rear and the flanks of their prey. Occasionally they also grab the neck and head, pulling the animal down to the ground. Coyotes are persistent hunters, with successful attacks sometimes lasting as much as 21 hours; even unsuccessful ones can continue more than 8 hours before the coyotes give up. Depth of snow can affect the likelihood of a successful kill.[29] Packs of coyotes can bring down prey as large as adult elk, which usually weigh over 250 kg (550 lbs).[30]
The average distance covered in a night's hunting is 4 km (2 mi).[5]"

Love4himies
July 16th, 2010, 12:07 PM
A scattered response . . . .

Well, you shouldn't be feeding the deer but that's a debate, uh, for a thread already closed . . . . :crazy::sleepy:

If there is edible, normal deer food around then the deer will be around. It won't have a lot to do with whether or not they're fed by humans or not.

Coyotes are everywhere and have proven to be extremely adaptable to living with human's nearby. I see them virtually every day around my acreage southwest of Calgary. They are frequently sighted in major municipalities, frequently following park spaces or natural rivers into these cities. Cougars and bears are occasionally spotted in Calgary.

Coyotes generally won't bother with healthy deer but are interested in weak or dying deer or, better yet, deer that are already dead as they are scavengers. It's always amusing around here to see something large that's freshly dead and then see it disappear to nothing but bones through the ensuing week as scavengers like coyotes come back night after night.

Coyotes generally look for mice and gophers, after-birth from cattle, dead or dying deer, etc, etc.

Cougars, coyotes, wolves, lynx, bears and even more obscure but extremely nasty critters like wolverines will always be around Canmore, there for elk, moose, deer, rabbits, etc, etc.

In our valley southwest of Calgary, we're always suspicious when the deer DISAPPEAR because it might mean a cougar is in the area. Otherwise, the deer are around us every day.
You mean you don't actually have to feed them to have them around and attract the coyotes :eek:, who would have thought :laughing:

A few weeks ago southwest of Calgary, a local acreage owner put out some road kill and a camera just to see what might show up. First a huge male cougar and then four others, a female and three older kit. This was about seven miles from our house and about four miles from where I regularly engage my lengthy, very lonely, early morning runs in the country.
I'd be changing my route :eek:

Although I would encourage you to stop feeding the deer, whether you do or not probably has little to do with how many coyotes are around.
There were three tiny orphan deer, a set of twins whose mother was hit at the end or our road when they were only 6 weeks old :(, I spoke to a biologist who stated they wouldn't have enough fat to make it through the winter. I could not live with myself knowing that I didn't do what I could to help them through it. They were coming to my yard since they were a week old with their momma (feeding off the vegetation and drinking from the pond, I wasn't feeding them). They were the ones that I was feeding (along with a few others that discovered the food and who have always went to my pond to drink)

Mathematically, if you have a population of 8000 deer in your area and they live an average of 8 years, then that means there are 1000 corpses around every year for coyotes to scavange.

below, finding corpses on the prairie is one of Abby & Keeper's favourite things to do, in this case the final resting place of an elk (don't worry, this scene lasted about 30 seconds before I shooed them away):

http://www.goldentales.ca/CSC_3012-edit1.jpg

Below, I don't feed the deer but they're around all the time . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/P1120330_edited-1.jpg

And we live in a major elk migratory corridor, so our herd of more than 100 comes and goes with a seasonal rythem . . . .

http://www.goldentales.ca/18010005-edit1.jpg

Below, Le Coyote, up close and eyeing Abby. This one was obviously experienced and had probably been successful with domestic dogs at campgrounds in K-Country.

http://www.goldentales.ca/CSC_3570-edit1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Thanks for the info. Can you imagine these people if they had chosen Canmore over the 1000 island region :laughing:.

OMG, why can't stupidity be fatal? L4H, if your neighbour moved to Vancouver, BC she'd still have to deal with cyotes, not to mention bears and beavers, in Canada's 3rd (or have we moved to 2nd to beat out Montreal yet?) largest city! This is Canada, for heaven's sake, get used to it. As for ticks. she should try New England! Largest concentration of lime disease due to tick bites in North America!

:laughing::laughing: It used to be about a million years ago :laughing:

The ticks are actually brought in by migratory birds, not the deer, cause the deer aren't swimming across Lake Ontario :laughing:

You reside on a piece of heaven, L4H :cloud9:. The covenants state fencing can be put up within the development zone...perhaps you can suggest to your neighbor to install one...tell her certain colors deter ticks and coyote or something...she sounds likely to believe it :rolleyes:.

Geographically it is pretty much impossible unless it is a small one around your septic. There is pure granite just under the soil here. But I do like 14+'s idea of bubble wrapping them :laughing: Plus, what would they biatch about then?

14+kitties
July 16th, 2010, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=14+kitties;937362]L4, how could you!!! You, all by your lonesome, are responsible for all the deer and coyote around you! Badddddd!!!! [QUOTE]

Yep - all by herself she has caused mayhem for these people.!

Great job there 14+K. Can you do anything to ensure that we start reproducing more stupid people at the same time?

We don't have to ensure it. It's happening all on it's own! I swear I see some pretty stupid people during my working hours. Occasionally I am one! :o

chico2
July 16th, 2010, 04:48 PM
L4h,I know it's easier said than done,but please do not let people like that bother you,you live in paradize and that includes wildlife,there is not a darn thing that stupid woman can do about it,other than getting out of there.
The one reason I would move to the country,would be because of nature in all it's glory,a woman like her,not included in that scenery:yell:

Love4himies
July 16th, 2010, 06:13 PM
L4h,I know it's easier said than done,but please do not let people like that bother you,you live in paradize and that includes wildlife,there is not a darn thing that stupid woman can do about it,other than getting out of there.
The one reason I would move to the country,would be because of nature in all it's glory,a woman like her,not included in that scenery:yell:

Thank you, chico :grouphug:. It is a very small, isolated subdivision, only 18 homes in here so it does get very upsetting. The lots are very big and she lives about 1 km down the road at the very wooded end (I live close to the 1000 Island Parkway and St Lawrence River so not so wooded) so of course there is more wildlife at her end. I didn't sleep last night thinking about what the people are saying about me :(. I can't imagine their logic living in wilderness and thinking one person putting out a couple of liters of deer feed a day in the winter would control a herd of deer and packs of coyotes all year long :confused: :shrug:

Etown_Chick
July 16th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Living on the edge of wilderness, but someone wants to get rid of the wildlife...sigh....

Tell 'em coyotes mostly feed on grandchildren.

14+kitties
July 16th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I can't imagine their logic living in wilderness and thinking one person putting out a couple of liters of deer feed a day in the winter would control a herd of deer and packs of coyotes all year long :confused: :shrug:

Yep. Told you you were BAAADDDD!! :p:laughing::laughing:
Honestly, anyone who had a brain in their head would be able to figure out they live in an area that belongs to wildlife. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The dense forest and all those trees tell the story. Maybe she needs to be wrapped in that cellophane too. I bet if she actually had a tick on her she would say you purposely took it down to her place and put it on her front porch so it was there to get her when she opened the door.
http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble1/15.gif lady! - or some websites!

Love4himies
July 16th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Living on the edge of wilderness, but someone wants to get rid of the wildlife...sigh....

Tell 'em coyotes mostly feed on grandchildren.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Love4himies
July 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Yep. Told you you were BAAADDDD!! :p:laughing::laughing:
Honestly, anyone who had a brain in their head would be able to figure out they live in an area that belongs to wildlife. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The dense forest and all those trees tell the story. Maybe she needs to be wrapped in that cellophane too. I bet if she actually had a tick on her she would say you purposely took it down to her place and put it on her front porch so it was there to get her when she opened the door.
http://bestsmileys.com/textinbubble1/15.gif lady! - or some websites!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:, you are so right. They are from Oakville and before that Montreal, so no experience with living in the woods. I bet they would be the type of people that would demand any wildlife to be hunted down by animal control and killed should it set foot in city limits:yell: :frustrated:

Tundra_Queen
July 17th, 2010, 11:47 PM
It is just beautiful here, well worth the drive into work. I back onto a campground, maybe it the same one you camped at??

L4H...I'm not usually a jealous person..BUT I am extremely jealous of YOU because where u live! :D I was very young when we camped around where u live, I was only 8 or so, but I just remember how pretty it was. :)

Your ride to work sounds absolutely beyond my word capability. All I know is that I would love to live where u do! ((big hug))

Debbie

chico2
July 18th, 2010, 03:58 PM
L4H,Oakville,eh,we do have a few snobs here,especially the ones in their 3-10 million dollar homes,us not being one of them of course:laughing:

This woman should thank her lucky star she lives in such a beautiful area and enjoy the wildlife around her,I certainly would.

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
You know, L4, I've been thinking. If you send her here, I'll put her in a tent outside the fence near the feeders for the next bear and raccoon raids. As she's running screaming through the woods to get away from the wildlife, she's bound to get heavily infested with our plentiful tick crop!

By the time she gets home, she's gonna be ready to move back to the city--and your problems will be over :highfive:

Whaddya think?

Love4himies
July 18th, 2010, 05:05 PM
You know, L4, I've been thinking. If you send her here, I'll put her in a tent outside the fence near the feeders for the next bear and raccoon raids. As she's running screaming through the woods to get away from the wildlife, she's bound to get heavily infested with our plentiful tick crop!

By the time she gets home, she's gonna be ready to move back to the city--and your problems will be over :highfive:

Whaddya think?

I love it :thumbs up

This is not the person who gave the speech at our AGM in the spring, this is because this person believes what was said at the AGM. That feeding he deer will attract the coyotes and bring the deer ticks. Not the fact that we live in wilderness, not the fact that this year is bad all over North America and not the fact that the pack of coyotes and the deer were here before we moved in.:frustrated:

I keep thinking what 14+ said. How in the world can I possibly be responsible for a herd of deer and a huge pack of coyotes when I live in a large wilderness area and only feed them a couple of litres of food a day (one max scoop plastic container) a couple of months a year? :shrug:

hazelrunpack
July 18th, 2010, 08:26 PM
We don't feed the deer here and we have wolves to go along with our coyotes :rolleyes: So tell her that if you stop feeding the deer, she'll end up with wolves, too! :laughing:

Sigh...

How did that whole thing turn out last spring, anyway? :o I don't recall hearing...but the way my memory is(n't) these days, I'm probably just forgetting... :o Jog my memory, please? :D

Love4himies
July 19th, 2010, 06:59 AM
We don't feed the deer here and we have wolves to go along with our coyotes :rolleyes: So tell her that if you stop feeding the deer, she'll end up with wolves, too! :laughing:

Sigh...

How did that whole thing turn out last spring, anyway? :o I don't recall hearing...but the way my memory is(n't) these days, I'm probably just forgetting... :o Jog my memory, please? :D

My neighbour (not the one who recently is accusing me of attracting the coyotes) handed out a printout from our Gov't website about feeding the deer: (It has been on for years and not updated :rolleyes:

DEER FEEDING NOT NECESSARY THIS WINTER
The Ministry of Natural Resources reminds you that it is not necessary to feed local deer this
winter. There is abundant natural food available this year such as twigs and foliage.

Ummm, then why did the biologist tell me that these fawns would more than likely starve to death over the winter :rolleyes:
The ministry asks people not to feed deer because:
Using the wrong feed can result in digestive problems. People may inadvertently do
I use a specially formulated feed for deer

more harm than good through improper feeding practices.
Feeding may encourage more deer in an area than the habitat can support. This can
result in poor reproduction, smaller fawns, and, ultimately, higher winter mortality
rates.
Deer-vehicle collisions often occur as deer cross roads to and from feeders. Deer
Ummmm, St Lawrence River on one side of us, so deer are only coming from the woods

that come to feeders may lose their natural fear of humans and become a problem in
summer gardens.
A concentration of deer around artificial feeders can tempt natural predators of deer
such as wolves to change their natural habits and come closer to populated areas.
This is what scared the people. But I feed only at night and like I mentioned, one max scoop platisic pail. It would only take the deer a matter of minutes to eat, then they moved on. I have yet to see any deer stay in one area for too long, they know there are coyotes around.

Concentrating deer in an area increases the risk of disease transmission between
animals. Although Chronic Wasting Disease has not been found in Ontario, there
are concerns that encouraging concentrations of deer increases the risk and speed
of disease transmission. In other areas of North America where Chronic Wasting
Disease is a concern, concentrating deer at feeding stations is discouraged.

Small troughs were scattered, only enough for a small feeding for one deer, unless it was momma and baby then they would share a trough

Deer can store fat in the summer months and successfully process that fat in the winter,
adding natural foods as needed. If deer become dependent on artificial feed, their metabolic
rate increases and they need even more food. When artificial feeding stops, deer can die
from the resulting stress. In areas where natural food is plentiful, supplemental feeding may
do more harm than good.
That is consistant with almost any mammal, including humans. The less you eat, the lower your metabolism.

Then he mentioned deer ticks :yell: and lymes disease and everybody started getting stirred up even more :yell:. Can't believe he didn't mention the deer flies too :eek: :laughing:

So then I had to bring up my points:

Coyotes are opportunistic feeders so if there are rodents, bunnies, wild turkeys eating seed at one of their feeders, and there is a coyote in the area, the coyotes will go after it. If there is an injured deer, they will go after that. They eat what is available at the time.

I also told them that the deer ticks are from migratory birds and not from the deer, so if they are concerned about coyotes, they should not feed the birds either. Of course they aren't stopping that :rolleyes:.

He mentioned that there were two deer in the same area killed (my backyard bordering onto his property) in some very thick brush that has a deer path going through it (yup formed before we moved in, not because I feed the deer). I think it was only one deer, because the night after the kill, the carcass disappeared. I am thinking the coyotes came back to scavange the bones and moved it so he found the same carcass??? :shrug:

chico2
July 19th, 2010, 09:30 AM
L4H,I have zilch respect for the Ministry of Natural Resources.for years they have been more in to killing wildlife,than protecting anything.
Their latest victims,a family of Beavers in Oshawa,trapped in lethal traps,that either break the Beavers back or catch them by the legs so they drown...absolutely evil and cruel:evil:

Sylvie
July 19th, 2010, 09:34 AM
OMG Chico :eek:

That is disgusting. :mad:

Love4himies
July 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM
L4H,I have zilch respect for the Ministry of Natural Resources.for years they have been more in to killing wildlife,than protecting anything.
Their latest victims,a family of Beavers in Oshawa,trapped in lethal traps,that either break the Beavers back or catch them by the legs so they drown...absolutely evil and cruel:evil:

:(:(:(
:rip: Beavers :candle:, you are suppose to be one of our national symbols, but in reality the gov't just treats you like you are crap on the ground.

Rick C
July 20th, 2010, 10:21 AM
A campaign this spring in Saskatchewan saw 71,000 coyotes killed as part of a population suppression program. The government was paying $20 per coyote killed.

http://www.swbooster.com/News/Local/2010-05-26/article-1160875/Province-pleased-with-success-of-coyote-control-program/1

I hope they enjoy the mice they're going to have in their graineries this Fall.

Also, this story from urban Rye, New York about coyotes attacking young children.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-ny-coyotes-20100720,0,5667256.story

And . . . . . Keeper found a treasure on Sunday, a cow felled in the spring and picked clean.

http://www.goldentales.ca/DSC_4114-edit1.jpg

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca