Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pug puppies

lorie
September 9th, 2004, 10:12 PM
I have pug puppies on the way.I am so happy but scared at the sametime. My husband says not to interfere or bother her to much when she has them.Should I be there keeping an eye on her ,how often should I check on her? Will she not want to leave for the first few days and ill have to drag her out side?..lol.These puppeis are her first litter so i want to scream and pull my hair I have lost puppies with my other dog,so I am worried about this litter.Any advise would be most appreciated. :)

GsdDiamond
September 10th, 2004, 08:22 AM
Dog's have an uncanny ability to handle situations like not being able to go outside. Put some paper down in the area, some food and water for her and let her be. More experienced members may have better advice, but that's the most common sense approach I can think of.

Just peek in every now and again, do a head count, and let us know how many of the little darlings there are!!! Pictures as soon as you can!!

CarlaD
September 10th, 2004, 10:09 AM
That is pretty exciting? Where are you located? Are all the puppies spoken for? My friend is looking for a pug and having a hard time.

Lucky Rescue
September 10th, 2004, 10:33 AM
IF you are a breeder of pugs, you must know they sometimes need a C-section, as some other breeds with large heads do. You will need to have your vet on stand-by if this occurs.

Is your bitch at least 2 yrs old and has she been tested and cleared of genetic defects common to this breed, like:

* Cataracts
* Corneal Ulcers
* Dry Eye
* Eyelids and Eyelashs
* Elongated Soft Palatte
* Encephalitis
* Generalized Progressive Retinal Atrophy
* Pinched or Undersized Nostrils

Leg problems that occur in Pugs include:
* Hip Dysplasia
* Legg-Calvé-Perthes disease
* Slipped Stifles

GsdDiamond
September 10th, 2004, 11:46 AM
See....I knew better advice would come along. :D

lorie
September 10th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Thank you for the advice.The puppis are due at the end of september :eek: .Ill have to wait to get the mom tested for all the health problems due to the fact that she is pregnant and only 9 months old(yes I know she is young it was unplaned)the father is also mine and has a few more tests to go.The colour of the mother and father are,mother..fawn with a little black.and the father a smut(lots of black with saddle markings).We live in Alberta and since it is her first litter we will see how many make it,and we will be very picky of where are puppies go.Thank you all again ;)

Lucky Rescue
September 10th, 2004, 06:39 PM
A puppy herself and no health testing whatsoever. Great. She'll probably need a C-section.

LaurenandDamian
September 10th, 2004, 09:33 PM
If all of the puppies aren't spoken for, we are possibly interested in adopting one! Please email at goodlookinoutx@hotmail.com

thanks!

:)

lorie
September 10th, 2004, 09:43 PM
I know she is a puppy her self that would be why I sad about this. :eek: In hre family line not one of the females had a problem with birth,I also ment to say not all of her tests have been done..Hemivertebrae..had that x-rayed.Elbow Dislocation.teeth are good,heart is good.No luxating Patella(slipping kneecaps)
so.so far its good knews but Ill have to wait untill she has her puppies for other tests I want.The vet says she is in good health and should not have a problem with the birth but to just keep an eye on her,and bring her in if there is a problem.I do not want her to have an operation.so fingers crossed :)

pug lover
September 12th, 2004, 11:19 PM
are you a breeder??? you mentioned another dog..

snub nosed dogs ie pugs and bulldogs need a lot of help during their births. because of their short snouts most mothers cannot remove the sacs in time for the puppies to breath and they drown in their own amniotic fluid.

They also have a hard time cleaning the pups of the fluid and you will most likely have to do this. I am hopiing that you have a good relationship with your pug because she will have to trust you full when the time comes.

this breed of dog needs to be under vet care during the entire pregnancy. the pelvic bones needed to be measured before and during the pregnancy to ensure a vaginal birth is possible. a cesarian section will be planned a head of time if ther is insufficient pelvic room for them or if there is just too many puppies

with the age of your dog she is already high risk

Have you had the mother ultrasounded yet ?? do you know how many puppies she is expecting?? pugs can have a litter between two and fourteen puppies(extremly high--but your pup is a pup itself so not unheard of)

Please contact your vet to have at least some of your questions answered. As for any congenital defects, when you purchased this dog were you intending on breeding her?? Doese she have papers and a proven championship history??if so, can it be proven by competion results?? this will be the only proof you will have of the pups being defect free (sorry to say) are you going to offer a health garentee??or warentee?? Not knowing everything about your dog this would be very hard to offer.

These puppies will need a lot of help during the labor process, or you WILL loose some or all of the puppies. They must be kept warm PLEASE talk to your vet about these small details,

and your husband is dead wrong with this breed. dogs with snouts however, do not need as much help with the birthing process--if you had another breed he would be correct

LL1
September 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Thank you for posting pug lover - this is a huge issue and without proper care you will lose all the pups and possibly Momma too.

I am disgusted she was bred so young and shocked at your vet's advice.

pug lover
September 14th, 2004, 07:07 PM
unfortunately most of my vet's advice is too late for this momma to be pug!!

MIA
September 16th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Hopefully your vet will advise you to spay her and save her trauma later in life.

Cflat
September 16th, 2004, 06:48 PM
There are almost 7,000 Pug's listed on Petfinder in Canada and the U.S.

I don't think I want to ask why an underage, unspayed female was let loose with an intact male. Tell me they aren't siblings.