- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


No idea for poor Viateur!

July 13th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Viateur is a really sweet guy that has been at the shelter for a couple of months now. When he arrived, he got hit with a rhino almost right away (before he could be vaccinated). When through his antibiotic treatment, had a loss of appetite, and then came out of it with flying colors. He then was vaccinated and sterilised. Everything was fine and he went into adoption awaiting someone to fall in love with him and take him home.

About a month passed and he all of a sudden wasnt feeling like himself, less 'happy-happy-joy-joy', somewhat quiet, appetite changed, etc. We pulled him from adoption and within a few days he had a generalised physical pain. He would cry when picked up, palpated, turned-over, even a pat was too much for him. He also had swelling in his limbs. Let me also add, that even through all of this he still ate every day and got up to get into his litter. His profile showed that kidney and liver were good, but white blood count was a bit wacky, and all 3 vets that have been seeing him all agreed that it only indicated some sort of infection and he was put on antibiotics. We went as far as do a Lyme test on him (and waiting 2 long weeks for results), which came back negative.

He is now on clavaseptin and small doses of metacam. Swelling 'may' have gone down in his limbs, but it is still noticable. Since he hasnt been doing too much moving, most of his muscle mass is gone. He still eats every single day (dry/canned/whatever his little heart desires), and he still gets into his litter every day as well. He has gotten a bit more mobile, but it could be the pain medication...? Pulled him into my lap yesterday for some much needed snuggle-time, and he was a happy little camper. When he decided he was done, he climbed off me back into his cube.

So this is where we are right now, stuck in limbo, waiting it out...he sees 3 vets each week. We are going to continue throught this cycle of antibiotics and he has to return to the hospital for another visit.

Please someone tell me they have had a similar experience, and what we may have over-looked or missed? Viateur thanks you all.


July 13th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Aww, poor Viateur :grouphug:. Have the vets mentioned anything about Calicivirus? That can manifest as joint pain in some cats. Here's more info:

Hope he feels better soon!

July 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM
monitored for calici, but dosnt seem to be that :(

July 13th, 2010, 09:57 AM
It does sound very familiar to calicivirus that my fosters had. One had it so bad he wouldn't move to go and nurse :(, but would eat when I force fed him.

July 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
There are other tick-borne diseases besides Lyme's disease. We often see similar symptoms (right down to the wonky WBC counts) in our dogs when they have anaplasmosis--and ehrlichiosis or babesiosis can cause those symptoms as well. Have they tried doxycycline? It might be worth a shot since all these disease, plus leptospirosis, usually respond to least in people and dogs. Don't know if it's used with cats or not. :o

:goodvibes: for Viateur! I hope the vets can come up with some answers soon!

July 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Viateur will be seeing the vet yet again tomorrow...poor guy - i was even on the phone with the pathologist for quite a while this afternoon too...his idea was to extract fluid from a joint and send it to them. not as easy as it sounds for this poor kitty with sore limbs. will discuss with the vet tomorrow.