Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Giant Evil Bunnies

Gail P
July 11th, 2010, 11:54 PM
I'm bad......I'm very, very bad.

A little background to bring you all up to speed:
I have a couple of friends who are very much "summer" people....love the heat etc. I'm just the opposite, very much a "winter" person...can't wait for the summer to be over and the fall and winter to come, with lots of snow of course :D So on the 21st of June I posted this on facebook "Longest day of the year today...you know what that means.....WINTER IS COMING!!!! :D"

That started a bit of a battle with one of my friends, bantering back and forth about summer vs. winter. He finally told me that he heard this winter is going to be warmer than usual with lots of rain. I responded by saying he heard no such thing, told him not to be a trouble maker and that what I heard was that giant evil bunnies had moved into our neighbourhood and were heading straight for his garden. (He's worked really hard putting in this garden at the new house, at the old place rabbits ate everything he had planted.) He said he's not worried about giant evil bunnies because he has a giant evil fence.

Today while they were away I'm afraid the giant evil bunnies found his garden, despite the fence. :evil:

Can't wait til he goes out to the garden and sees this :laughing: I only hope if they got home after dark that it doesn't rain tonight and any overnight dew doesn't ruin them. The one sitting up measures over 2' to the top of it's head, almost 3' to the tips of it's ears. My daughter helped make them. Wait no she didn't...we don't know anything about them or how they got into the garden :whistle:

hazelrunpack
July 11th, 2010, 11:56 PM
:laughing: Oh, you are bad!!!! :laugh: And drawing your daughter over to the dark side, as well :evil: *tsk tsk* :D

Dee-O-Gee
July 12th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Now you're the kinda neighbor I would like to have! That's hysterical Gail P! :thumbs up

Please let us know your neighbor's reactions k?

:laughing: :laughing:

Gail P
July 12th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Now you're the kinda neighbor I would like to have! That's hysterical Gail P! :thumbs up

Please let us know your neighbor's reactions k?

:laughing: :laughing:

My guess it that it will be one of three things...ignore it completely knowing I want to get a reaction....have some kind of comment....or some form of retaliation, just not sure what form that might take :o

Goldfields
July 12th, 2010, 01:43 AM
Now that is brilliant, and they do look sooo evil. :laughing: You can shift in next door here too, I love a good laugh.

Gail P
July 12th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Awwww....it rained last night here, hope the cardboard didn't melt in the rain. Here I thought I picked a perfect day, it was so nice and dry yesterday. These friends of mine are late night people, if they didn't get to see them before dark last night they probably won't until noon or later in the afternoon. They don't step out the door much before noon. Maybe I should have just gone in the early morning when they're sleeping, but I think one of their dogs would have heard me and woken them up. The other two not so much but one is always on high alert to anything that moves. We'll see this afternoon if anything is said....hopefully bunnies are still standing in the garden, not laying in mushy little piles. Somehow I don't think soggy bunnies will have the same effect :rolleyes:

Love4himies
July 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM
:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: That is hilarious!

lilsis261279
July 12th, 2010, 08:04 AM
That is soooooooooooooooo funny, Wish I gad a neighbor like you, must be loads of fun :thumbs up :highfive:

ancientgirl
July 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
That's hilarious. I can't wait to hear what his reaction is when he sees them.

14+kitties
July 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Great job on those bunnies!! They look pretty mean! :laughing: I hope they stood up long enough to have made it through the rain. When I first saw them I thought they were done with a scroll saw. :thumbs up Hard to tell they were just cardboard.

Ummm, I hope he has part of that big evil fence buried too. He knows rabbits burrow, doesn't he? :laugh:

BrownEyedGirl
July 12th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Love it! :thumbs up

Longblades
July 12th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Ho, ho. Must remember that. I'm with you on preferring the cold weather. But I do like my garden. Strangely, in our rural area, we have not had much trouble with wildlife eating our garden. I did learn to NOT tell the neighbours to come picking when we were away. What a mess they made.

Chris21711
July 12th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Great going Gail :thumbs up

When we used to grow veggies, Pepe used to pee :o all around the perimeter of the veggie patch, we never suffered any losses due to the bunnies....cabbage butterflies don't have the same respect for human pee though :frustrated:

Also, tell your friends who love summer, I read in the paper on the weekend that there is a La Nina on it's way for winter....which means, colder and more snow than usual :yell:

Gail P
July 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Great job on those bunnies!! They look pretty mean! :laughing: I hope they stood up long enough to have made it through the rain. When I first saw them I thought they were done with a scroll saw. :thumbs up Hard to tell they were just cardboard.

Ummm, I hope he has part of that big evil fence buried too. He knows rabbits burrow, doesn't he? :laugh:

The fence is not buried and there are a LOT of rabbits around there. Actually, in one corner the fence even is up off the ground so that the top was level, but he's been working at filling and surrounding that part of the fence with big rocks piled along the bottom. I really hope it works for him, he was so disappointed when the rabbits ate everything in his garden at the old house. They're not expecting too much of the garden this year, the soil isn't good there yet, they just turned up the grass and weeds and planted. Later they were able to put some composted manure on top but he's thinking it will take a couple of years to get it doing well.

They just live up the road from me and I do have some rabbits around here too (though not as many) but they mostly stay further back along the treeline. My garden is right behind my backyard fence where the dogs spend a lot of time so the rabbits stay away.

I haven't spoken to him yet but he did find the bunnies in the garden based on this facebook post he made:

"Playboy bunnies in my garden! Cool. Wait a minute, those aren't Hugh's girls!"

to which I responded:
"Playboy bunnies in your garden, really??! Wow! What kind of seeds did you have to plant to grow them? :P "

BenMax
July 12th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Oh my goodness GailP.

Listen, I can ask our rescue to courtesy post if you wish. All I ask is for you continue fostering them until we can place. I hope that we can place together as they seem fairly attached to one another. Can you please provide me with a bio on all? I also require a recent...perhaps less angry picture if possible.

Thanks for looking out for these wonderful little critters. You are a saint!:angel:

Dog Dancer
July 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM
GailP that's hillarious! I love your sense of humour.

Frenchy
July 12th, 2010, 04:55 PM
:laughing: I love it :evil:

chico2
July 12th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Gail,that's hilarious :laughing::laughing:

CsqU4r3d
July 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM
That is hilarious!! I love your slightly twisted sense of humour!

Gail P
July 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Oh my goodness GailP.

Listen, I can ask our rescue to courtesy post if you wish. All I ask is for you continue fostering them until we can place. I hope that we can place together as they seem fairly attached to one another. Can you please provide me with a bio on all? I also require a recent...perhaps less angry picture if possible.

Thanks for looking out for these wonderful little critters. You are a saint!:angel:
Do you deal with angry bunnies? These will need a really special home...I'm not sure but their anger may be neurologically based...this particular kind of bunnies don't do so well in wet weather and I do believe that they are a little soft in the head right about now. :laughing: The pictures are recent, just taken yesterday. Not sure about getting a less angry one...unless maybe the rain will also soften their hard little hearts as well as their heads. :D

That is hilarious!! I love your slightly twisted sense of humour!

slightly? :p

But, but...usually I'm not this bad...honest. This time I was just particularly inspired...don't ask me why cause I don't know :crazy:

More followup on the facebook post, re playboy bunnies in his garden -NOT:

another friend: "Might make the naked gardening much more entertaining?" (they joke about a naked gardeners club)

him: "These bunnies are very much without substance, two dimensional and cardboard. Wait, maybe they are Playboy Bunnies!"

him again: "But how much gardening would I really get done?"

Tundra_Queen
July 13th, 2010, 01:27 AM
:laughing::laughing: Gail you are a hoot! :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
July 15th, 2010, 03:24 AM
:laugh: Love them :laugh: that's hilarious :highfive:

BenMax
July 15th, 2010, 08:37 AM
GailP - yes we deal with anything actually. I do know a very good bunny behaviouralist who is committed on rehabiliating bunnies with bad attitudes. You can check her website: "Bunny, bunny with a 'tude', who is the meanist or most rude". Let me know if you want her contact name. I am certain that she will be able to help and make them more loveable.

Thank you so much GailP for taking such great care of the bunnies. It's great to know that you do not mind them eating up your garden. :clown:

Gail P
July 15th, 2010, 01:50 PM
GailP - yes we deal with anything actually. I do know a very good bunny behaviouralist who is committed on rehabiliating bunnies with bad attitudes. You can check her website: "Bunny, bunny with a 'tude', who is the meanist or most rude". Let me know if you want her contact name. I am certain that she will be able to help and make them more loveable.

Thank you so much GailP for taking such great care of the bunnies. It's great to know that you do not mind them eating up your garden. :clown:

But it's not my garden they're eating :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: They are living in friend Bill's garden...he who threatened me with a warm, rainy winter. He should know never to say such things to a musher. :evil: I think the bunnies are pretty happy right where they are for now.

On another unrelated fb post he called me a chicken, so I posted this friendly girl on his "wall" :evil: He just LOVES chickens (voice dripping with sarcasm - he won't step foot into my chicken coop :rolleyes: )

chico2
July 15th, 2010, 04:20 PM
WOW Gail,that's a beautiful chicken,is that yours?
What kind of man is this person,he threatens you with a rainy winter,does not like bunnies or chickens:laughing:

Gail P
July 15th, 2010, 06:50 PM
WOW Gail,that's a beautiful chicken,is that yours?
What kind of man is this person,he threatens you with a rainy winter,does not like bunnies or chickens:laughing:

She's one of mine, they usually aren't quite so angry looking but the poor girl was sitting in a nest box trying to lay an egg and I stuck a camera in her face :laughing: Most of them don't get too worried if I reach into the nests to get eggs out but once in awhile one will get protective.

He likes bunnies just fine if they stay out of his garden but he's not a bird person. He does have some redeeming qualities though, they have 2 cats, 3 dogs and 2 horses. He also takes good pictures and puts them on my websites for me :o

hazelrunpack
July 16th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Love the angry hen, GailP! :laughing: That probably gave him nightmares! :eek: :D

Gail P
July 16th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Love the angry hen, GailP! :laughing: That probably gave him nightmares! :eek: :D

Since we're trending towards angry animals here, how 'bout this then?
Evil, evil Flurry :evil: What a demon dog :laughing:

And this! Vicious Lightning! Watch out Rain, he might take your face off! ;)

What a nasty looking bunch of animals I have. Don't nobody cross me or I might have to set the angry menagerie on you :p

luckypenny
July 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
What a wonderfully entertaining thread :laughing:.

hazelrunpack
July 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
What a nasty looking bunch of animals I have. Don't nobody cross me or I might have to set the angry menagerie on you :p

They need to practice their :evil: faces so that they can more easily cow the really angry bunnies. :thumbs up :laughing:

But in reality, it's all an act because we know they're all perfect :angel:s. :cloud9:

luckypenny
July 16th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Gail, I have a question although it's pretty off-topic :o. Do all your dogs get on fine with the rest of your animals? How did you manage that? I'm always in awe when I see them with your chickens and ducks.

Goldfields
July 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Since we're trending towards angry animals here, how 'bout this then?
Evil, evil Flurry :evil: What a demon dog :laughing:

I love those pink eyes and shiny teeth. :laughing: A Devil dog for sure.

Gail P
July 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Gail, I have a question although it's pretty off-topic :o. Do all your dogs get on fine with the rest of your animals? How did you manage that? I'm always in awe when I see them with your chickens and ducks.

They do get along by accustoming them all to each other from a young age and careful management. Although several of my dogs have been adopted I chose to adopt puppies vs. adults feeling that it would be easier to integrate pups into a larger pack and because I need young dogs with athletic ability for what I do with them. I think it's wonderful when people can adopt older dogs or special needs dogs but those ones just wouldn't be the right fit for me. It's not so very difficult to start with a pup that's never learned any different and teach him/her the "rules" around the other animals. And it's not just the dogs that are desensitized, with the exception of my peacock all of my poultry has been raised from day old and got used to seeing the dogs all hanging their heads into the brooding area so they are not very afraid of them. I did get two Chinese ganders a few years ago that I was going to use for herding practice instead of the ducks I later got, but they were not used to dogs and it didn't work out so well. They'd run all over the place and get stressed any time the dogs came near so I gave them to a friend who had a lonely goose and needed company. The adult ducks I have now were bought as day olds and of course my 34 ducklings were hatched here. They respect the dogs when I take a dog out to put them away at night but they're not really afraid of them. I often take 9 dogs right into the chicken coop with me and the chickens and turkeys don't really care. The only time it can become a problem is if I take the whole pack of dogs out when the poultry is already outside free ranging all over the place. If they can get any of the birds running around flapping they'll chase them down and surround them, sometimes pulling some feathers out but not really doing any damage. Still, it's stressful and not fair to the birds so I don't take the whole pack of dogs out there when the birds are free ranging. They can go in the coop while I do chores in the morning, then I'll open the door to let the birds out when I'm done and call all the dogs to follow me back up to the house and it's okay. And I can take a smaller group of dogs out at a time when the birds are free ranging without any problems too. At night depending on what time I go out to do chores, the poultry might already be inside the coop and I just have to shut it, or they might be out in which case I take one dog out to put them away and then bring out all the other dogs for their run.

The dogs and horses are all pretty well used to each other too but the more dogs I get the more careful I become about having them near each other. The horses don't mind the dogs at all if they just wander around them but when I let the pack out to run it's utter chaos for a few minutes, they come flying out at top speed barking and chasing each other. They would rush past the horses which can startle them, then if the horses run at all I can have a pack at their heels following. So what I do is take the horses grain out and feed them in a small area under some trees and close the gates so they stay there when I let the dogs run. In the winter I don't pen the horses there but put their hay out along a different tree line, or even in the trees and the dogs like to stick to the groomed trails I maintain where they are able to run fast. It all just comes down to training (starting them off on the right foot) and management.

luckypenny
July 17th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Gail. It sounds like a lot of work but, work that pays back tenfold :cloud9:.