Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

North Carolina USA flooding

dmc123
September 9th, 2004, 08:17 PM
We had some bad flooding in my area, from Hurricane Frances. Much damage but fortunately no human deaths.

On the news yesterday, they showed many rescuers of dogs and cats from the All Creatures Great and Small rescue and adoption center. They are about 45 miles from where I live. Their site is: http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/NC92.html

I have tried to find pictures online of the rescues, but haven't been able to find any yet. The news footage was so sweet, it made me cry as much as I did when I saw those of folks losing their property. They had dogs and cats in boats moving them to dry land.

I did find one rescue, not related to that shelter, of a cat, I am attaching it. Quote:"A 16-year-old cat named "Cat" was trapped in the office of Harrin's Sand & Gravel. Jeff Rice, in the front of the boat, and David Ingram rescue Cat who was handed over to Robin Rice. Photo by Keith Leonard....Special to the Citizen-Timesm Sep 8, 2004"

According to the news last night, they lost a few animals, but today's news sites said they lost so many more. That is so heart breaking.

I am including some other pictures of the flooding if you want to see, and will include some of the really neat rescues when I find them.

I hope this is ok to post all this here.....

sammiec
September 9th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks for sharing those pics DMC. That's great that those people considered their pets!! :D I am on business in Richmond Va right now and I was really worried yesterday with the server tornado warnings from the tail ends of Frances.
Lets just pray that Ivan doesn't come to shore!

Those pics that you posted are great!

chico2
September 9th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Thank's DMC....of course I am always thinking of people in devestations like this,but also worry very much about the animals,wild and domestic,after all they don't know what is happening.
Luckily there are wonderful people who do their best to save them.
I am hoping Ivan will peeter out to nothing,enough is enough,it will more than likely flatten Jamaica on it's distructive course.
Good Luck to everyone down south!!!!

Luba
September 9th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Thank you for this post. It reminds us how lucky and fragile our lives are and how nature can take it over in a moment.

dmc123
September 9th, 2004, 10:04 PM
thanks sammie, chico and luba, i should have posted in off topic? thanks for answering

Luba
September 10th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Poor Grenada 90% of their homes are GONE
Now Ivan is on it's way to Jamaica and then enroute towards Florida where for the 3rd time people will be evacuating.