Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Tiny Miss had anal glad issues.

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM
This morning I caught Kiska scooting across one of the steps. This couldn't come at a worst time, since I don't get paid until next Thursday and don't have a lot in my checking account. Luckily, my vets office has some really wonderful people. One of the girls spoke with a manager and said they'd wait until I got paid for payment, and to bring her in.

Turns out her anal glads were full and they had to extract them.:yuck: Now I'm going to be watching her like a hawk. They told me there really isn't much you can do to prevent that, but I wondered if anybody here knew of anything.

Winston
July 9th, 2010, 08:18 PM
AG Bomber had this too a few yrs ago and fortunately they expressed them and it never returned. I think its much more common in dogs when they have a loose stool...so maybe some pumpkin or something to firm her up a bit so that they express naturally.

Give little miss a kiss for me! :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
AG Bomber had this too a few yrs ago and fortunately they expressed them and it never returned. I think its much more common in dogs when they have a loose stool...so maybe some pumpkin or something to firm her up a bit so that they express naturally.

Give little miss a kiss for me! :thumbs up

Thanks Winston. I have some pumpkin in the freezer. I'll mix some in with her food tomorrow. I'm hoping this was a one time thing. :pray:

Love4himies
July 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Jasper is an anal gland chronic :frustrated:. The best way to keep them expressed is by hard poops!

ancientgirl
July 9th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Jasper is an anal gland chronic :frustrated:. The best way to keep them expressed is by hard poops!

I knew I'd recently read one of the kitties on here had some issues. Okay, hard poops. I'll definitely be giving her some pumpkin in her food then. Her poops are usually pretty firm. Actually, the only one around here who gets soft poops now and then is Czari.:shrug:

14+kitties
July 9th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Hope the little one feels better soon. :fingerscr

luckypenny
July 10th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Ouch. Hope this is just a one time sorta thing, AG :fingerscr. Can you give her a raw chicken neck once or twice a week? Might be more effective than pumpkin.

TeriM
July 10th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Good vibes for sweet Kiska :goodvibes:.

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone. She's her usual perky talkative self this morning. I went back to the vet to pay the bill, and one of the girls at the front desk said she had a dog that had anal glad issues once and never had a problem after that one time. So I'm hoping this is a one time thing too.

Ouch. Hope this is just a one time sorta thing, AG :fingerscr. Can you give her a raw chicken neck once or twice a week? Might be more effective than pumpkin.

A chicken neck will help her? I can look for some at the grocery store, or see if the farmers market near me sells fresher ones. She loves raw chicken so I don't think it will be a problem getting her to eat them.

Love4himies
July 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM

You are probably right, the bone content will definitely help.

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM
You are probably right, the bone content will definitely help.

Oh, it's the bone that will help? I'll try it. I'll get enough for thw whole gang. :D

chico2
July 10th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Vinnie has also been scooting the last couple of days,I guess a vet-visit is in the works:cat:
Glad little Kiska is ok:lovestruck:

Love4himies
July 10th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Oh, it's the bone that will help? I'll try it. I'll get enough for thw whole gang. :D

Bone hardens their poop. But be careful, it can make them constipated, so on a long term basis it is not feasible.

ancientgirl
July 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Bone hardens their poop. But be careful, it can make them constipated, so on a long term basis it is not feasible.

Do you think once a month would be good?

gardensgrow
July 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Nim and I earlier today had a visit with the warm water kitchen sink sitz bath, soaping up and gentle pressure (5 o'clock and 7 o'clock) to express her anal glands and they were full. Right now she is doing that I feel so much better little sandpaper licks and I love you nibbles.

Hope this helps.

Nim and Sharon