Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat not eating, only drinking water, vomiting, please help

mugenx
July 8th, 2010, 12:44 PM
My cat was diagnosed with CRF a few months ago, and the vet said only 25% of her kidneys remain functioning and to feed her low protein foods. She has been eating the Royal Canin L/P for dry food, and Turkey/Beef/Chicken flavored wellness can food (mixed with a bit of water and heated a little. I read this was ok on this forum for CRF cats). Just recently, about 2 days ago, she has stopped eating, and only drinking water. She is vomiting frequently and just likes to sit in 1 spot all day long. We give her 75 ml of sub-q fluids every other day (vet said so), and even comfort her when she tries to eat. The food is placed higher than her stomach so she would not feel nauseous when eating, but nothing seems to be working. Does anyone know what I can do? Thanks in advance.

sugarcatmom
July 8th, 2010, 01:05 PM
You might want to talk to your vet about this, but perhaps some Pepcid AC (NOT Complete, only the AC version is acceptable for cats) would help. Also, an appetite stimulant could be necessary at this point.

Here are some more tips for encouraging your cat to eat:
http://www.assistfeed.com/Enticing.htm
http://www.felinecrf.com/managd.htm

NoahGrey
July 8th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have to say I get pretty frustated when people ask what else they can do, when it comes to a health concern with their pet, without a vet in mind. You NEED to take your animal to a vet right away. You say that your vet stated 75mg sub-q's. (75 mg is nothing everyother day when you cat is vomiting everyday...your cat is losing more fluids then it is getting) Was this over the phone? or did you go into the vet clinic? You cat needs to be seen by a vet and maybe be even admitted for observation for a few days and have more testing done to determine the problem.

Cats become VERY dehrdrated VERY quickly and there body will start to shut down soon after. Please take you cat to a vet!! good luck

mugenx
July 8th, 2010, 10:51 PM
She was taken to the vet and was on fluid therapy for 3 days. Should I start giving fluids daily?

growler~GateKeeper
July 9th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Hi mugenx, your kitty needs to be back at the vets likely on an IV fluid drip with anti-nausea meds ASAP while they start her on an appetite stimulant & run bloodwork.

Have the vets run blood & urine work with in the last 3 months, did they run it with the last vet stay?

What was the circumstances surrounding her 3 days of fluids at the vet? Did the vet give a reason for why only 75ml every other day?

Good luck & lets us know how it goes at the vets :goodvibes: