Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog was attacked by another dog

Jack's Mom
September 9th, 2004, 05:23 PM
This is my first posting, please be patient. Jack, my 2 yr.old Golden/Duck
Toller mix has been attacked a couple of times by a neighbour's 1 yr. old standard Poodle. Both are neutered males. Both times the poodle got off
his tether in his yard & came gunning for Jack. This last time, I dropped Jack's leash. The fight only lasted a few seconds & they seperated on their own. My neighbour came out to get her dog & I called Jack to come.
(fyi The property is not fenced but I was walking on the sidewalk) Neither dog was injured.
My question; is there any way we can get these dogs to accept/tolerate
each other? Shall we bring them both to our local dog run when no other dogs are there & see what happens ?? I will call our dog obedience trainer tomorrow to get her input but I was wondering if anyone out there has suggestions.Thanks,

jenjen
September 9th, 2004, 07:03 PM
I bet Jacks feelings are a little hurt that he keeps getting beatin up by a poodle.lol Sorry for the joke, i'm sure its not pleasant

Lucky Rescue
September 9th, 2004, 07:19 PM
The dogs may NOT fight on neutral territory, like a dog run, but this may not make a difference when each is on it's own territory. The poodle may continue to behave this way.

Poodles, in spite of their foofy reputation, are very tough all purpose gun dogs and good watch dogs, and can be aggressive in defense of what they see as intrusion on their territory. The fact that both are male is not helping.

If your neighbour knows his dog is likely to be aggressive, he should either build a fence or keep him under control!

Cflat
September 9th, 2004, 07:42 PM
I second Lucky Rescue's post.

A small dog on its own territory can be aggressive to another- even the perimeter.
I feel that this dog needs more control. You were walking on the sidewalk and your dog did nothing but act defensively. The trainer that needs to be called is the Poodles (and its the owner that needs the training).

Writing4Fun
September 9th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Um, folks? This is a Standard Poodle - not a small dog by anyone's standards. Just thought I'd point that out. I, too, agree with LuckyRescue - the other owner has the agressive dog and should therefore be taking measures to control him.

Jack's Mom
September 9th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your responses.
To jenjen: I lol'd while reading your post, thanks for the humour & the
sympathy.
To LuckyRescue: Your input is greatly appreciated, and you may be right.
The two dogs might have a "dust-up" (or not) at the dog run & be OK there, but at home or "percieved" home, it could be a totally different story. My
obedience trainer knows both dogs, so I will talk to her as well before any
get together at the run.
To Cflat: Its' been raining cats & dogs here so I haven't had the chance to talk to the owner, but I know she is feeling terrible about this. Even so, I will discuss the incident with my dog trainer and then be more prepared for a discussion with the owner.

I'll keep you posted.

Jack's Mom
September 9th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Um, folks? This is a Standard Poodle - not a small dog by anyone's standards. Just thought I'd point that out. I, too, agree with LuckyRescue - the other owner has the agressive dog and should therefore be taking measures to control him.
Thanks, Writing4Fun, this dog is not a mini. Jack & he are about the same
size & weight.

Jack's Mom
September 16th, 2004, 10:21 AM
:) It's been a week since I wrote in of my problem and I'm happy to report that it is being resolved. We took our dogs to the run (equipping ourselves with water pails & pot lids - just in case of an incident) and all went very well. There was of course the initial "dust-up", but it was minor. We then put them on leash and walked around the parking lot close to each other - treating for the good behaviour. We drove back to the neighbourhood and walked the dogs, on leash, towards each other a few times, and then stopped & chatted with the 2 pooches sitting by us. We have both agreed to continue this"therapy", and I am thankful that my neighbour is a thoughtful & caring dog owner, willing to take the time.
Jack's Mom

Sneaky2006
September 16th, 2004, 11:35 AM
That is so cool that both of you are willing to associate your dogs so nothing happens. Not many ppl would do that, one too many times I've seen people's dogs going at it, or even just growling and the owners walk away angry at the other.

(equipping ourselves with water pails & pot lids - just in case of an incident)
Sorry, I had a chuckle at this line... reminded me of a knight ready for battle with his shield! :D

debanneball
September 16th, 2004, 12:26 PM
All's good now in Jack's neighbourhood. Poodles are no slouches. Over time, they may become very good friends. :D

wAggie
September 16th, 2004, 11:40 PM
awwwwwwwWW!! aren't u lucky!!

if only we had more owners like that in my community!

dogs, and all pets alike, should bring ppl together :D REALLY

krdahmer
September 17th, 2004, 12:12 AM
LOL....I know what the water is for, but pot lids? Is that a dog thing? :)

Jack's Mom
September 17th, 2004, 11:04 AM
LOL....I know what the water is for, but pot lids? Is that a dog thing? :)
The pot lids were to bang together (like cimbals). The loud clang noise could
have startled the dogs, giving us enough time, hopefully, to get them under control. I had 2 flat lids & they were very noisy when I tested it out for
sound. Luckily, we didn't have to put it to the test. :D