Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toronto Animal Services Ordered NOT to adopt out PBT's

Luba
September 9th, 2004, 05:21 PM
I just found out 5 mins ago that Toronto Animal Services has been instructed not to adopt out ANY Pits until they find out whats going to happen with legislation through the attorney general.

So all these dogs SIT in shelter!!

ANYONE who has some time may want to contact a Toronto shelter NEAR you and volunteer maybe to take these dogs out on walks and socialize them or something.

This is disgusting.

Figures though, David Miller a couple weeks back was in agreeance with pit banning across Ontario so he's probably the one that initiated this!!!

CAN U BELIEVE IT??

mastifflover
September 9th, 2004, 05:37 PM
That is awful those poor dogs and those idiot politicians who don't know there a$$es from a whole in the ground what right do they have there is no law yet and hopefully never will be.

Luba
September 9th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Well If they do ban them in Ontario I assume they will PTS all the dogs in shelter currently.

WTF is wrong with them?

David Miller our dumbfounded Mayor has admitted to wanting the ban province wide so there's no doubt in my mind this is somewhat part of his idea!

From globe and mail Mr Millers comments:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040901/PITBULL01/TPNational/Toronto
Toronto Mayor David Miller applauded Mr. Bryant's efforts as the "right direction to go."

"I think this kind of thing would be helpful if there was provincewide legislation," he said.

sammiec
September 9th, 2004, 06:18 PM
OMG!! I had no idea this was happening - well, they don't care about Toronto down here in Virginia... that's HORRIBLE Luba! While I am away hubby has been home with Briggs all alone! He hasn't said anything about ANY of this! Those stupid politicians need a wake up call! They need to be faced with a wonderful pit bull and maybe those dim bulbs will actually come on!! What a tool David Miller is - I wish Mel was still there!... ;) :eek: :p

Luba
September 9th, 2004, 06:35 PM
A worker at TAS told me, it wasn't in the news that they're not adopting them out..so I guess they wanna keep it hush hush maybe to prevent a big public outcry? Who knows.

It is very upsetting that some of these dogs in shelter could be adopted but they sit there in cages instead.

LavenderRott
September 9th, 2004, 07:49 PM
From everything I have read in your local media lately and the stories I have heard about people doing or saying to people who own pit bulls, it is probably a good thing that it was not announced in the media. At this point the public outcry would most likely be that the dogs be pts.

The newspapers up there really have the public in a frenzy over how dangerous these dogs are. The heat needs to be put on the press for truth in journalism. They have no solid statistics to base these stories on. They need to be held accountable.

Luba
September 9th, 2004, 08:01 PM
One more thing to add....

Since the Attorney Generals decision to consider BSL/Banning PBT's the shelters have had some owner surrenders of PBT's because people are terrified of what's going to happen.

You're absolutely right LavR it's horrible.

LavenderRott
September 9th, 2004, 08:05 PM
If the ban passes, will they allow these dogs to be pulled by out of area rescues? You might want to find out. Then, if they will, start contacting all the rescues you can find to see if you can find them spots with rescue groups.

The original post says "adopt out". Would a rescue group pulling them be the same thing?

Bugsy
September 9th, 2004, 08:09 PM
I don't understand how they are planning to enforce this law.
I live in Montreal and 4 municipalities have BSL. However everyone
knows pitts are pretty hard to distinguish. So no one owns a pitt (wink)
everyone has a lab x boxer. ;)

Luba
September 9th, 2004, 08:23 PM
I asked about rescues, they won't surrender to a rescue not with this thing on going.

Mistruzzi
September 9th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Print off petitions,get signatures and then mail to address on bottom of petition. Also, contact the Dog Legislation Council of Canada for further BSL info. Print off petition at http://www.deadsledkennels.com/petition2.pdf

Loki
September 13th, 2004, 06:58 PM
I sent an email to the Mayor earlier in the week, this is the response that I got:

Dear Mr. Bxxxxxx,

Thank you for your e-mail to Mayor Miller regarding banning pitbulls. I am responding on behalf of the Mayor. Your comments are appreciated.

In light of recent incidents involving pit bulls, Toronto Public Health is currently reviewing measures that the City has in place to prevent vicious dog attacks. A report is expected to come forward in October. Staff have been asked to report on:

* An environmental scan: how other jurisdictions have taken action on dog attacks
* A review of the City's animal control by-laws
* Information on breed specific bans
* Any and all measures that might be taken to curb vicious dog attacks and address the issue of public safety

We hear and appreciate your point of view. Please be assured that all issues will be considered before any actions are taken. Thank you for taking the time to write to Mayor Miller on this issue.

Yours truly,

Carmen Smith
Special Assistant
Office of the Mayor
csmith7@toronto.ca
(416) 338-7116

Luba
September 13th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Thank you for posting this :D

Akeeter
September 20th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Since i don't live in Toronto, I don't know if they would take anything from outside the city into consideration, But-I have a ton of anti-BSL info. if anybody wants to send it -be my guest.

Starting with Canda Safety Councils own research, The American Veterinary Assn. and: this site below from National Canine Research Foundation website.
(all of the sites I've found that have kept accurate dog bite stats & done a breed ban at the same time have come to the same conclusion that BSL is a waste of time & money. It does nothing to stop dog bites)

Home | Fatal Dog Attack Studies | Fatal Attacks 1994-99 | Fatal Attacks 2000-03 | The Breed Issue | Fatal Attacks - Worldwide | Reported Dog Bite Statistics | Canine Behavior | Severe Maulings | Effective Canine Legislation | Board of Directors / Consultants

Reported Dog Bite Statistics

NATIONAL CANINE RESEARCH FOUNDATION

Dog Bite Research Studies

CORNWELL (1997)

States that in the U.S. about 70% of dog bites affect children of which 55% are boys. 5% of children between the ages of 5 and 9 were already bitten by a dog once. The author estimates in addition that in 30% to 50% of biting incidents the dog was provoked - in most cases through entering the territiory of the dog. The most effective measure to protect from the dog bites is therefore to teach children as well as adults how to avoid provocation of a dog.

1) Don't approach a stray dog.

2) Tell an adult about a stray

3) If the dog approaches you, remain quiet, avoid direct eye contact with the dog and use a soothing tone with the dog.

4) If you have been pushed to the ground by the dog, stay on the ground with stretched out legs and face to the ground, fold your hands behind your neck and protect your ears with your forearms.

PONTIAC MICHIGAN DOG BITE INCIDENT REPORTS 2000-2001

American Canine Foundation researched Pontiac Michigan's dog bite reports for 2000-2001. We found the highest percentage of bites involved children. Several breeds were involved in numerous reports. We divided the reports into two catagories. Level 1 Dogs that had nipped and scratched or bit once. Level 2 Dogs that had bitten the victim's several times causing stiches and /or servere injury. Because some of the reports are vague, have wrong address's and phone numbers the accuracy of some of the reports are questionable.

Level 1: Golden Retriever ~ 1 Lab ~ 4 Great Dane~1 Eskie~1 Beagle~6 Corgi~2 Rottweiler~4 Shepherd~2 Pit Bull~9 Husky~1 (attacked dog) Chihuahua~2 Hound~1 Shepherd~1 (attacked dog) Shar-Pei~2 Mixed Breeds~26 Cats~5 Possum~1 Bat~1 Unknown Breeds (strays)~12

Level 2: Chows~9 Shepherds~9 Pit Bulls~3 Shar-Pei~1 Rottweiler~6 Greyhound~1(killed cat) Akita~1 Collie~1 Bull Mastiff~2 Dalmation~1 Lab~1 Pointer~1 American Bulldog~1 Pit Bull~2 (attacked dog) Shepherd~3(killed dog) Rottweiler~4 (killed dog) Mixed Breeds~7

OHIO DOG BITE REPORTS 2001-2002

A Study was done in the state of Ohio, dog bite statisitcs (2001-2002) were obtained from 46 counties by Harry George (E.B.A.) for the American Canine Foundation (A.C.F.) to research. When comparing 2001-2002 to statistics from Ohio counties dating back to the early 80's it was found that the same breeds were responsible for reported dog bites with almost the same percentages. In Ohio in 1987 a breed restriction was place on the Pit Bull because of claims that it was vicious. When reviewing Ohio's dog bite statistics within a 20 year period it was found breed restrictions do nothing to reduce dog bites from specific breeds targeted. (2001-2002) Mixed Breeds ~ 34% Shepherds ~ 7% Labs ~ 7% Rottweilers ~ 6% Boxers ~ 4% Chows ~ 3% Pit Bulls ~ 2 % (ACF2003)

CLARK COUNTY WA.

PIERCE COUNTY WA.

test

Akeeter
September 20th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Our Att. Gen. M. Bryden (just in case he misplaced it in those 4000 letters & e-mails.) I think Mayor Miller should read it too.
(I wonder if Mr. Theron, Pres. of the Can. Safety Council got the same darn form letter?)

August 31, 2004
Proposed Ontario Pit Bull Ban
Honourable Michael Bryant, M.P.P.
Attorney General of the Province of Ontario
Toronto, Ontario

Dear Minister,

The Canada Safety Council is aware that the Ontario government, in the aftermath of a serious incident, is considering a province-wide ban on pit bull dogs, which you have described as nothing less than four-legged “dangerous weapons.”

Breed bans are highly controversial. As a preventive measure they may or may not work in the short term. In the long term, they do not address the underlying problems. Authorities should beware that breed bans may provoke people who want aggressive dogs to seek out other breeds or animals, and breed or train them to become vicious. Dogs trained or bred to attack are often owned by drug dealers, criminal groups, and violent or irresponsible individuals who wish to intimidate others. These dogs — and their owners — present a serious threat to community safety.

Currently, Canada has no national data on canine population, dog-related deaths and injuries, or which breeds cause the most harm. Based on available statistics, the Canada Safety Council estimates there may be about 460,000 dog bites annually. Some are very serious, requiring extensive surgery, and there have been fatalities. Statistics do show that certain breeds, including those in the pit bull family, are more likely to be involved in violent attacks. However, dangerous dogs may exist in any breed or breed cross. Many factors contribute to a dog’s temperament and behaviour, not the least of which is responsible ownership.

Good animal control by-laws, well enforced, are part of the solution. Breed bans are a reactionary measure. They should not be used as a quick fix. The solution lies in a combination of effective animal control measures, reputable breeders, responsible owners and public education, backed up with enforcement and based on reliable data.

The attached document, Reducing the Incidence of Dog Bites and Attacks: Do Breed Bans Work?, dated March 2004, from the National Companion Animal Coalition, will be of interest.

It is high time irresponsible dog owners faced real consequences. For far too long, a person whose dog(s) mauls someone is subject to insignificant penalties, such as a fine or an order to confine or destroy them. Vicious dogs are the product of irresponsible owners. Criminal negligence charges must be laid against owners in cases of vicious dog attacks. Horrific dog maulings are not isolated events. Irresponsible dog owners exhibit reckless abandon and total disregard for public safety. It’s about time they are held accountable for their actions! Civility, public safety and injury prevention are the issues at hand.

If you require more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely

Emile Therien
President, Canada Safety Council

skunkney
September 26th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Anyone who owns a dog that goes out of control and inflicts serious injury on a person, especially a child, should face heavy fines and even jail time. These dogs would not be wreaking the havoc that they are if their owners were acting responsibly using leashes, muzzles, whatever needed to control their dogs. These poor dogs don't know any better, and most of the time they are put down while the owner just walks away. These people need to start payin up!

Britishvixen21
September 26th, 2004, 02:17 AM
In response to volunteering to walk the dogs, i applied to vounteer at the THS over 2 months ago, i have been back at least once a week, (every day last week in search of a pup) and i have ALWAYS asked and followed up, and sent emails and have still not recieved a response, also my freind applied online over 5 months ago, and again with me 2 months ago, and she has not heard anything either! How much more can i do, and i am desperate to help! i even offered to help train a dog onsight that had sever behavioural problems but whom i couldnt take because of her loud seperation anxiety! i offered to go in every day for two hours after work and at the weekend to help the pup, and told them they could do any checks they wanted, i even offered to pay to feed and keep her at the shelter until i could get the barking under control and take her home. But i was refused, brushed off like i was stupid. I can only imagine the fate of that dog although i dont want to think about it!

As for the Pit bull ban what a huge load of BS! in england we had the same problem with rotwielers a couple of incidents happened very much like the PB situation here, but they didnt ban them they had a muzzle order in place. whenever these so called "dangerous dogs" are out they are required by law to wear a muzzle.

Why is that the provincial and federal goverment are so blind and in my eyes stupid to this!!!
Now i know that this is going to raise some heads but this is the way that i see it ok, some iraquis, and some afghanistans have recently been in the media for being murderers and terrorists, but are these people being given capial punishment!!! are iraquis and afghanistan people being euthanised because of a few bad eggs - NO, something like that would be likened to the holacaust!!!
So why is it that its ok for a certain breed of dogs to be punished in such a way! dogs have a heart beat, dogs have feelings and emotions they feel pain and sadness like humans! why is that they should be treated as a lesser race!

The way this world works sickens me to my core sometimes! i have never wanted children, and people say to me "oh youl change your mind" why the hell would i want to bring a child into a world like this!!!!

Akeeter
September 26th, 2004, 02:45 AM
If you want to help @ a shelter you can check the OSPCA web site for other Metro area shelters. There are several in the GTA.

http://www.ospca.on.ca/ta_ca_intr.html

I'm not sure what the Toronto Animal Services asks from volunteers, but you could try there. Good Luck! Help is always needed. :)