Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cpietra - Your "picture story"

14+kitties
July 7th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Just wait till tomorrow and me trying to convince hubby that she really needs to come into the house for a couple of days till the heat wave leaves. I'll let you know how that works out!

With those (in?)famous words........
stretched on the bed in the "spare" room....
I like dressers better
Waking up ... is someone here?

14+kitties
July 7th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Snapping some sleepy pics

14+kitties
July 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Naddy is going to the vets tomorrow. She is having a hard time shaking this cold. I think antibiotics are in order. She is much happier to be out of that nasty heat but I know once she feels better she will be a different kitty. You can tell by her eyes she isn't feeling well. :(

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Oh, what lucky kitties!!! :cloud9: Was the family difficult to round up and move?

I hope the vet can get Naddy on the right track soon! The beautiful girl really does look like she's feeling a bit punky...

chico2
July 7th, 2010, 04:23 PM
I see you got what you wanted:laughing:,they all look so comfy,lucky,lucky kitties:lovestruck:
I would think,if Naddy has a cold,the muggy heat will just make her feel worse,she is such a girly girl,very,very sweet:lovestruck:
Hopefully nothing serious is wrong with her.

14+kitties
July 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Oh, what lucky kitties!!! :cloud9: Was the family difficult to round up and move?

I hope the vet can get Naddy on the right track soon! The beautiful girl really does look like she's feeling a bit punky...

Nope. I opened the door to the carrier and they all trooped in. :thumbs up
And me too. She deserves to be happy and healthy. :cloud9:

I see you got what you wanted:laughing:,they all look so comfy,lucky,lucky kitties:lovestruck:
I would think,if Naddy has a cold,the muggy heat will just make her feel worse,she is such a girly girl,very,very sweet:lovestruck:
Hopefully nothing serious is wrong with her.

:D I try hard. :D
I had brought Naddy in this morning to watch her. Phoned the vets shorty afterwards. The babies came in a couple of hours later. They need to be healthy before going back out. Mom may stay in with me for a while longer to get dried up. Kitties are almost three months now. They are fine without her milk and she needs to be healthy again. She can't do that with them taking her nutrients. I'll get it worked out. :thumbs up

BrownEyedGirl
July 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
I just love seeing this family.

Winston
July 7th, 2010, 04:51 PM
14+ they look so happy! I cant imagine how the cats feel in this weather! it is horrible out there! I cant even stand it outside!

They are all looking good and no doubt Naddy will feel better soon!

Cindy

cpietra16
July 7th, 2010, 05:18 PM
:cloud9: I love picture books. Always have been my fav....thank you 14+...you made my day.

ps....don;t want to upset your hubby, but it doesn't look like they are going anywhere...anytime soon....:D

Jim Hall
July 7th, 2010, 05:35 PM
oh no!! yr turning off the tap!!!! lol will mama cats produce until they dont get suckled?

Love4himies
July 7th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Yay :D, :cloud9: :lovestruck:. I really think that Naddy is a home kitty, but I also do think they would be happy with the outside stimulation :o.

michmonster
July 7th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Hi 14+!

When Naddy was at our factory, the only thing I had on me when the guys told me about her eyes was R1. It's a homeopathic product made by DR Reckweg. It's to treat inflammation, fever, infection. After a week on it she was better. I always have at home and at the barn, the R1, R55 (for injuries, fractures, bobos etc.), Bio 87 (anti-bacteria), Bio 88 (anti-viral) and Bio 93 (immune system booster. Whenever my cats or horses are sick, I start them on the stuff. I kind of want to keep the antibiotics as a last resort. If you are interested in getting these products, let me know. I will send you a kit. It will be part of my contribution to help you and and say thank you. I get it directly from the distributor. Last year when Kookie had to have surgery, I started her on some of the products before the surgery and continued after. She had the surgery on the Thursday a.m. and I was sent home on the Friday p.m. with anti-inflammatory and anti biotics. When I gave the anti-inflammatory on the Saturday, Kookie threw it up. She did no want to eat and the paw that she had the catheter, was more swollen than the one she had surgery on. Because the surgeon was not there on the weekend, I was on my own. I started given her doses of R1 and R55 and also put it on her paw. I also put a cold compress. Within 15 minutes, she felt much better. When I went back to see the surgeon on the Monday, it did not understand why her wound was healing faster than normal. It was the R55. I had to reduce the dose otherwise I was told that the stitches would not have come out!!!! I told the surgeon the story. He is European so he is open to alternative medicine. Keep me posted to see what the vet says.

p.s. One of these days, I will have to call you cause it's tooooooooo long to write all this!!!!!!

14+kitties
July 7th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Yes Jim. I am turning off the taps. Moms will produce until the kittens stop nursing but it will be less and less as time goes on. In feral life, barn life where they aren't fixed it is not unknown to have the old litter nursing when the new one comes along. Sometimes while they are nursing their own! Poor mommas. :( As I said, kittens are almost 3 months old. It's time for mommy now.
L4 - Don't tell hubby but I am going to do my level best to make Naddy a house kitty. :o She is clearly much happier indoors. Can't say my other six are happy to have her though. They've been checking the door all day. :laughing:
michmonster - thank you for your offer. However, when I said her eyes I mean her third eyelid is showing. In her case by quite a bit. Has she always had issues with this? Nadine has a cold in her chest. You can hear it when she is breathing. She chokes a bit when she is eating and I can tell she is having difficulty breathing. While I would love to try out the homeopathic/natural products I feel Nadine needs needs meds now. My vet is pretty good at homeopathic meds as well if I feel uncomfortable with what she is wanting to give. I need to get her better and she needs to have her kittens weaned so she can start concentrating on getting better.

cpietra16
July 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM
When Nadine was here, her third eye lid was not showing at all. The only ones that had the eye lid showing were Minimoo, and his twin. The vet thought it was because of parasites ,for which they got their advantage+ (i think that's what it was called).
I hope she feels better soon. Poor little one.:sick:

14+kitties
July 7th, 2010, 08:49 PM
When Nadine was here, her third eye lid was not showing at all. The only ones that had the eye lid showing were Minimoo, and his twin. The vet thought it was because of parasites ,for which they got their advantage+ (i think that's what it was called).
I hope she feels better soon. Poor little one.:sick:

It may have been but seeing as Tipster was diagnosed with calicivirus I was thinking it was because of that. At one point or another in the week I have had them they have all had runny eyes and sneezes. There are still a couple who you can hear a bit of a rattle in their chest. I am sneaking them in with mom tomorrow. :D My vet won't mind at all. Nadine is so much better now that she is back in the house. She is relaxed and more at ease. Every time I go in the room (lots) she comes to see me purring. Of course I am sure she wants out to the rest of the house to see what is going on. But that in itself is a good sign. I just left them with her nursing four of them. The other two were playing with her tail and resting.
I think once this heat wave is done we will see a much improved kitty. :fingerscr:fingerscr

michmonster
July 7th, 2010, 09:38 PM
All the guys told me was that she had runny eyes. I never saw her third eyelid. I think it's best to bring them in and find out what's going on. The kittens were a bit sneezing when Naddy brought them in the factory. It was very dusty so they did inhale and ate lots of it!!!!! It cleared up after a while when they were at cpietra's.

Keep us posted!

p.s. What did your hubby say?????

michmonster
July 7th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Just wait till tomorrow and me trying to convince hubby that she really needs to come into the house for a couple of days till the heat wave leaves. I'll let you know how that works out!

With those (in?)famous words........
stretched on the bed in the "spare" room....
I like dressers better
Waking up ... is someone here?

Spoiled rotten kitties!:cat:

luckypenny
July 7th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Hope Naddy recovers quickly :goodvibes:. Sweet, sweet pics, 14+ :lovestruck:.

Tundra_Queen
July 8th, 2010, 02:52 AM
14+ The kitties look so at home in the spare room. :D I hope that Naddy gets over her sniffles soon and so do the babies.:grouphug:

Love4himies
July 8th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Naddy did have some congestion in her lungs when she was here, as did Rose when she first got here. I was thinking it was from the fumes from the factory :shrug:. It took a few months for her to clear up.

cpietra16
July 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Naddy did have some congestion in her lungs when she was here, as did Rose when she first got here. I was thinking it was from the fumes from the factory :shrug:. It took a few months for her to clear up.

Antonio, another factory rescue had the same problem...took months for his lungs to clear... Naddy kids and I are thinking of you..:lovestruck:

Dog Dancer
July 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM
14+ those sure look like happy kitties! Good luck with clearing up all the little issues and having them all healthy and happy.

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM
I can't think of anything better than a bed full of kitties! I'm so glad you are able to give them some time away from the heat. Hopefully, Naddy will be able to get over her cold faster now that she's not having to keep feeding the little ones.:D

MiniTiga
July 8th, 2010, 12:41 PM
There's only one thing in this world that can make me smile wider than a kitten -- more kittens!

Really cute!:lovestruck:

Chris21711
July 8th, 2010, 01:12 PM
You are a brick Gerri :grouphug:

Poor John, if only he had of known what he was getting himself into :D....he too is a brick.

14+kitties
July 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
You are a brick Gerri :grouphug:

Poor John, if only he had of known what he was getting himself into :D....he too is a brick.

So does that mean you are gonna take it easy on me when you come to visit? Huh? Does it? :D Thank you mgf. I feel the same about you. :grouphug:

As for John. Do you mean if only he had known when I started this or when he met me? ;) He would have turned tail and run back then if he knew. :laughing:

Frenchy
July 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Is that your bed 14+ ? Hope there's a comfy couch for hubby :p

they're all so cute :lovestruck: I love the twins :cloud9:

14+kitties
July 8th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Was going to start a new thread but this one will work.

I just spent the last hour or so medicating, worming and trimming claws on Naddy and six squirmy kittens. :D And I have the scratches from Little Miss 'Tude to show it!!

Naddy and babies are on Clavamox for 10 days to get rid of the infection in their chests and eyes. They also were wormed again with Strongid and I am taking a fecal in tomorrow so it can be checked for Coccidia. She feels they may still have worms in their system. She also gave (sold :rolleyes:) me a tube of Nutri-Cal Vetoquinol to get their systems built a little stronger. I am to keep on using the L-lysine in their food too.
She told me that in all the years of her working at shelters and different venues and then finally seeing some healthy kittens she was shocked to learn the ones in shelters really aren't healthy. She then said this litter and mom weren't healthy. Well Duh! That's why I took Naddy and two of her babes to her. :shrug:
I am hoping all this clears up this precious family. It's time for them to start enjoying life.
As for the nail trimming - Naddy was a peach. :cloud9: Most of the babes were great! Miss 'Tude (Sleeves) is earning her nickname. :cloud9:
And just for the cute factor............

14+kitties
July 8th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Is that your bed 14+ ? Hope there's a comfy couch for hubby :p
they're all so cute :lovestruck: I love the twins :cloud9:

Well, technically the bed is mine. It's the one I had when I moved down here 8 years ago. But it is in what used to be my oldest stepsons' bedroom. He hasn't been here since school started last Sept so I figure it is now the "spare" room. :D
There are actually two sets of "twins" Frenchy. MiniMoo and his one sister look a lot alike. Then Sleeves ('Tude) and Sleeveless are the other set.

Chris21711
July 8th, 2010, 01:51 PM
So does that mean you are gonna take it easy on me when you come to visit? Huh? Does it? :D

Ummmmmmmmmmm...I have to think on that one :D

As for John. Do you mean if only he had known when he met me? ;) He would have turned tail and run back then if he knew. :laughing:

Ummmmmmmmmmm.....something along those lines :o

michmonster
July 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Hi 14+!

I'm starting to wonder about the vet Steri-Animal uses. You never vaccinate a sick animal as it bombards their immune system and makes them weaker. The vet should have detected the problem when cpietra brought them in and treat it and then vaccinate them.:mad:

One thing you can do to help them since they are on antibiotics is to give them organic (if possible) plain yogourt to restore the good bacteria in their intestines. It's a naturopath who told me this last week.

Who knows what they inhaled while they were outside the factory and when mom brought them in!

Thank you again for taking such good care. Is their anything I can do to help? I feel so helpless beign so farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away!

14+kitties
July 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Hi 14+!

I'm starting to wonder about the vet Steri-Animal uses. You never vaccinate a sick animal as it bombards their immune system and makes them weaker. The vet should have detected the problem when cpietra brought them in and treat it and then vaccinate them.:mad:

One thing you can do to help them since they are on antibiotics is to give them organic (if possible) plain yogourt to restore the good bacteria in their intestines. It's a naturopath who told me this last week.

Who knows what they inhaled while they were outside the factory and when mom brought them in!

Thank you again for taking such good care. Is their anything I can do to help? I feel so helpless beign so farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away!

I wondered that myself MM. But it's not my place to say anything. The yogurt is already part of their diet. :D (told you we have some good kitty gurus here :thumbs up)
Kittens will get their second set of shots when, and not before, they are all healthy. Mom will get her shots and spayed as soon as she is on her feet so to speak. She told me she would give me low income rates to fix her. If she hadn't agreed I would have taken Naddy to the rescue I work through in TO to have her done. Just like I have the other 50+ that have been done through them. The kittens will be going to TO to be fixed when they are old enough - another month or so.
Actually, I would love some more info on the natural flea meds. It is expensive using Revolution for 43 kitties. :o

michmonster
July 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
14+ is there anyway you can give me your phone # so I can speak to you??? It would be much easier for me. My e-mail at home is you can send it there so no-one else can see it.

Just toooooooooooo long to write!!!

You do have great gurus! I'm so glad to see more poeple aware of all this!!!

Dog Dancer
July 8th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Ah I see MM is from my old home stomping grounds of Point Claire! Small world. 14+ you will have your little family whipped into shape in no time I'm sure. You are such a kitty angel - but I think I've told you that before (like 100+ times). Bless you bless you bless you... it goes on....

14+kitties
July 8th, 2010, 03:48 PM
14+ is there anyway you can give me your phone # so I can speak to you??? It would be much easier for me. My e-mail at home is you can send it there so no-one else can see it.

Just toooooooooooo long to write!!!

You do have great gurus! I'm so glad to see more poeple aware of all this!!!

MM - I sent you a PM (private message). To get it go to the top right where it says private message and click. It will open and you just click on the message to open. :thumbs up

Ah I see MM is from my old home stomping grounds of Point Claire! Small world. 14+ you will have your little family whipped into shape in no time I'm sure. You are such a kitty angel - but I think I've told you that before (like 100+ times). Bless you bless you bless you... it goes on....

Thank you my friend. :grouphug:

cpietra16
July 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I do not want to blame or question Steri Animal. They do what they can and at this clinic, you never know which vet you will get. This is the first time I have had this much trouble with cats and kittens being sick.
I have taken in litters from factories similar to where Naddy came from and when it works, well, its great, but unfortunately when it doesn't it doesn't. Steri Animal has helped me with all the cats that came through my house, without any questions, paying for all their meds and vet visits when possible.
It was very unfortunate but I do not want to start questioning thier good intentions.

Hi 14+!

14+kitties
July 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I do not want to blame or question Steri Animal. They do what they can and at this clinic, you never know which vet you will get. This is the first time I have had this much trouble with cats and kittens being sick.
I have taken in litters from factories similar to where Naddy came from and when it works, well, its great, but unfortunately when it doesn't it doesn't. Steri Animal has helped me with all the cats that came through my house, without any questions, paying for all their meds and vet visits when possible.
It was very unfortunate but I do not want to start questioning thier good intentions.

Oh hon, I am in no way blaming you or the organization. :grouphug: It's possible the vet was having a bad day or the day the kitties went in they were good. Sometimes it takes a while for things to show up. I spoke out of turn. I apologize. I guess it was out of frustration for Naddy.
We have a vet here that a lot of people think is wonderful. In fact I used him too until I found out, fairly early in our business together, that he allowed his wife in the operation room with him to sew up cats after spaying. She has no training. :mad: With a large organization like a rescue you sometimes get one that doesn't quite fit the bill.
But I am in no way upset with you or Steri Animal. I'm sorry. :(

Love4himies
July 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I think part of the reason for Naddy's illness is the stress of the move, so illness may not have been prevalent for the vet who vaccinated her. Poor girl, but she will settle in and be on the mend soon. I do think Naddy may need to have her lungs listened to, just in case the congestion may have turned into pneumonia :shrug:. :grouphug::grouphug: I am sure that factory didn't have the cleanest air :(.

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Oh, more cuties. I hope the little ones and Naddy get better soon!

:sorry::offtopic:How much L-lysine do you give them? The vet told me it would be good for Czari but I'm not sure how much.

14+kitties
July 8th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Oh, more cuties. I hope the little ones and Naddy get better soon!

:sorry::offtopic:How much L-lysine do you give them? The vet told me it would be good for Czari but I'm not sure how much.

You can get a get type where cats get 1/4 tsp twice a day in their food or on their paw to lick off or a powder that they get one rounded scoop twice a day. It's called Viralys. Or at least the one I have is. I am sure if you asked your vet she/he could get it for you. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
July 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
You can get a get type where cats get 1/4 tsp twice a day in their food or on their paw to lick off or a powder that they get one rounded scoop twice a day. It's called Viralys. Or at least the one I have is. I am sure if you asked your vet she/he could get it for you. :thumbs up

I have a powder version that came with a little scoop, but the scoop is in the amount for a person. I've been giving her about a quarter of that. I have to take Vlad in next week, so I'll ask the vet then. Thanks!:D

Dee-O-Gee
July 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Actually, I would love some more info on the natural flea meds. It is expensive using Revolution for 43 kitties. :o

My MIL saw a segment on the Today Show awhile back ago about natural flea meds. It was all about using natural Peppermint and Orange oils. So she went to a health store and bought me a bottle of each (very small bottles as it's natural). I use an old eye dropper and put a few (4 or 5) drops between the blades of the neck and just above the tail on ALL the animals.

I've done this for about the last month alternating between the peppermint then orange, once a week and it really has worked with minimal flea infestation and no ill effects on kitties and dogs. :lightbulb:

I also use the Zodiac area spray on rugs and bedding too as added protection. :thumbs up

michmonster
July 8th, 2010, 09:29 PM

I know steri-animal is doing an amazing job and unfortunately you or them have no control on which vet checks the animals. Not all vets are good and maybe the one that checked them just did not do a thorough examination. I'm not blaming you or steri-animal. I'm sorry if it came out that way. Hope you forgive me:cry:

The important thing is that everybody gets better:goodvibes: