Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Change in eating habits??

sujean
September 9th, 2004, 03:24 PM
I have 4 cats and I have recently noticed that I am refilling their dry food bowl much more often! I normally fill 2 cups a day for the 4 of them. that would usually last 1.5-2 days. But as of late, I am filling the bowls at least 2 times a day!

At first I thought it was the dog that was eating all the food. But after isolating the dog from the cat food, I am positive the cats are eating their own food. So does anyone have any suggestions of why my cats are eating so much more these days? And I must add that it seems it is my female cat that is eating more often. I swear, I see her at the bowl once every hour! but i don't see anyone gaining weight...

any ideas?

Princesss04
September 9th, 2004, 03:54 PM
What kind of food are you feeding them? :confused:

sujean
September 9th, 2004, 05:48 PM
They are eating nutro...and soft food once a week. nothing in our environment has changed, either.

FYI, everyone is spayed and neutered...

Cflat
September 9th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Dogs and cats are motivated by food by need, boredom, temperature and health. They eat because they are hungry, they eat because they are bored, they eat 25-30% more (approx) when the weather is colder and if they are pregnant or sick they eat more/less.
What are the weights of your cats? Have you done the math that they are eating more/less than they should? Nutro isn't a bad food so they should be getting good nutrition from it. Geez, I don't think I've been any help at all!

sujean
September 9th, 2004, 10:07 PM
lol, actually, i thought about it and we have had a change in environment...we have had 2 hurricane near misses come through our area. that might have something to do with it! my hsband and i have been stressed b/c of them and the cats are probably feeling it.

As in another post, my cats are anywhere from 13-18 pounds. they are big cats and they are all really active but it has only been recently that they have been eating so much. but now i'm thinking it's just my female-i swear she's in there every hour!!

mao's mommy
September 9th, 2004, 11:03 PM
She could be eating out of fear of a loss of food source with the up comming storms. Stocking up you could say. But watch her to make sure it does not become a long term habit.