Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat is sick...need ideas...already went to vet

cpietra16
July 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
My friends cat was diagnosed with severe anemia , and blood parasite. She is an indoor cat, but she has a dog who goes out and may have brought in a flee. The vet said she got the blood parasite from the flee which attacked the red blood cells. She is in severe pain and the vet in St. LAzare just gave her the meds (doxycyclyne .75mg and novoprednisone 5mg) and sent her home. She can;t walk and does not eat and her nose and gum are very pale.
They want to see the cat in a few days, I suggested she find a new vet and take her ASAP.She does not know what to do....any suggestions on anything....what can this be? can it be Feline Leukemia? she is breathing very fast and always cries.
My friend thinks she is in pain....

sugarcatmom
July 5th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Sounds like the vets suspect Feline Hemotropic Mycoplasmosis (http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1692&S=2) (previously called Hemobartonella). Did they do a PCR test to confirm?

Some cats may need a blood transfusion to help them get through this. I would also ask the vets if they think an appetite stimulant might be useful, and if she is in pain, perhaps some pain meds.

cpietra16
July 5th, 2010, 09:38 PM
thanks sugarcatmom, I will pass on the info. I hope its not that, but if it is, at least she will know and take it from there.
At this point the vet is just guessing at what it is. They want to give her 10 days to see if the meds work...frankly I think 10 days to watch your cat in pain, is ridiculous. If all fails they think it may be feline leukemia.

cpietra16
July 7th, 2010, 07:16 AM
:rip:little girl.

15 months is too short to love a cat. Unknown sickness followed by a stroke that paralyzed her back legs:(...my friend can do nothing but help her cross over....15 months, what a shame:(

sugarcatmom
July 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Oh no! I'm sorry for your friend on the loss of her kitty. What a shame indeed :(
:candle:

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM
That's so sad, cpietra. My condolences to your friend :grouphug:

:candle:

chico2
July 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM
cpietra,I am so sorry for your friend,12 months is not long enough,for sure,but it does not make the love for her any less.
:rip:little girl

Winston
July 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Cpietra I am so very sorry...That is far too young!

Run free little one! :candle:

mastifflover
July 7th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I am so sorry :rip: sweet one

14+kitties
July 7th, 2010, 05:04 PM
:candle::rip: sweet kitty :candle:

cpietra16
July 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I want to thank you all on my friends behalf...its very hard on her and her daughter. This cat was like a little human being. She was loved, kept indoors and spoiled. The only negative attribute... but not the kitty's or my friend's fault by any means..she was bought in a pet shop...no record of mom or her whereabouts or health...:(

But having said all that I don't think that every cat that is sold in a pet store gets sick...but some sure do:(

Love4himies
July 7th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I am so sorry cpietra, please pass on my condolences to your friend. :grouphug: