Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our journey to Rally Obedience

TeriM
July 4th, 2010, 10:35 PM
So a while back I decided I needed a new project to work on with Riley and decided to try Rally Obedience. I hope to possibly compete in a novice event sometime this fall.

Rally obedience is similar to agility in that a judge sets up a pattern in advance and handlers get to walk the course before they go into the ring. The difference is the course isn't made up of obstacles, but exercises. After the judges forward command the dog handler team moves from station to station on its own completing each exercise. Praise, double commands and lots of encouragement are allowed.

Rally obedience is usually timed. There are two levels. Level one is on lead and level two is off with more stations, including at least one jump. The course time is decided by the judge based on a slow walk through of the course with three seconds added for every sit, down, front, finish or stand. Competitors are scored using the time it takes them to complete the course. Any faults add seconds to the run time. A missed or incorrectly performed station can add ten seconds. Three seconds are added each time you re-try a station, touch the dog, leash correct, knock over a cone, lose control or have a behaviour problem.
We have completed two classes. I wasn't sure if I liked the instructor after the first class but she was much more personable the second class and we very much enjoyed it. Riley and I have completed beginner and advanced obedience courses and attend a semi-regular outdoor obedience class.

Our first class was mostly on introducing the clicker and focus exercises. We already use a clicker (mostly for training tricks) but could definately use some work on focus :laughing:.

At our last class we started to learn a bunch of the "left" exercises which are not the easiest for Riley as his hind-end awareness isn't the best. He turns right much better then left. We learned how to pivot a full circle left, u turn left etc with him maintaining a heel position by basically crossing over his back feet. I think that was harder for me to figure out then it was for him :o. It would appear that both of us have issues with left exercises :laughing:. He also has always finished from a front position by swinging left instead of going around behind me into heel position.

Anyway we have been having fun working a bunch of exercises this week. Riley really loves to work and it is good to have some new goals.

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2010, 11:00 PM
So when's the video coming out? :thumbs up Sounds like lots of fun! :D (And hazel has trouble with 'left exercises', too...along with 'right exercises' and standing still... :o)

Longblades
July 5th, 2010, 11:26 AM
That sounds like fun and good way to work and bond with your dog. I have yet to see a complete rally competition but we do some of the moves in our obedience class.

So Riley has an RN in his future?

hazelrunpack
July 5th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Okay, I'm pretty sure that the RN doesn't stand for registered nurse in this case :o so what's an RN? :confused: Do they give titles for Rally-O?

TeriM
July 8th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Okay, I'm pretty sure that the RN doesn't stand for registered nurse in this case :o so what's an RN? :confused: Do they give titles for Rally-O?

:laughing: I believe that RN means a Rally Novice title.

We had our third class on monday and the instructor was very impressed with our progress from last week. She had set up a bunch of configurations to help us work on the left turns but he was doing so well we didn't even use them :D (sorry for the brag but I'm proud of my boy). We still need to do lots of work on finalizing the heel position. He is very long bodied and tends to sit his front backwards instead of bringing his back end forward which ends up with him sitting about a foot back of where he should be.

We also worked on the moving down and a shutzhund about turn. It was very cool that the command we started working on last week (to go around behind me to a heel position) also translated to a go around on that shutzhund turn :thumbs up. Another exercise is the dog in heel position, take one step sit, take two steps sit, take three steps sit. That same exercise is also done with the dog in a front position and take one step back, two steps back, three steps back.

I'm finding it lots of fun and interesting. Riley likes his quickie evening training session and when I wanted a night off yesterday he harassed me so bad I finally gave up my nap idea and we had a play session instead :laughing:.

luckypenny
July 8th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Wonderful how you're both enjoying this, Teri :goodvibes:. Think you can eventually video some of the new stuff to share with us?

TeriM
July 8th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Hmmmm, I'll have to see if I can get hubby to work the camera :).

luckypenny
July 8th, 2010, 01:41 AM
That would be so neat :goodvibes:.

In the basic training classes you did with him, how did you guys get into the heel position if he wasn't going around you?

I remember when Penny and I did classes, instead of sitting immediately in front of me when I called her, she'd always run around me first after we learned the heel...took me forever to get her stop doing that :D.

TeriM
July 8th, 2010, 01:55 AM
In the basic training classes you did with him, how did you guys get into the heel position if he wasn't going around you?

I remember when Penny and I did classes, instead of sitting immediately in front of me when I called her, she'd always run around me first after we learned the heel...took me forever to get her stop doing that :D.

He would basically just pivot from the front to my left side. He needs to be able to do both techniques for the rally stuff.

Penny :laughing:. She must have thought that was a great game :D.

hazelrunpack
July 8th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Hmmmm, I'll have to see if I can get hubby to work the camera :).

That's the same challenge I have here :rolleyes: Good luck with that! :laughing: But it would be great to see some footage! :D

TeriM
November 11th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Sorry this thread kinda fell by the wayside after Lucy got sick and we said goodbye.

Riley and I finished our original group of six sessions and very much enjoyed it. We recently started back again for another session and have now registered for our first Rally Obedience trial the weekend of Nov 10-21. Wish us luck :D.

luckypenny
November 11th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Lots and lots of luck but, I get the feeling you and Riley are gonna have a blast regardless :goodvibes: :thumbs up.

TeriM
November 11th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I hope so. In the end it really is about building a better relationship with my dog and having something fun to do so we win no matter what :thumbs up.

Sylvie
November 11th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Good luck, just remember to have fun. :thumbs up

I put a CD, CDX on my Chelsea, but when I realized she was not that happy, we gave up. Hubby put a Otch on his Chimo, They both loved the work. Obedience was not as much fun as Rally O.

If I were younger I would love to do Rally O :yell:

hazelrunpack
November 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
As long as you're having fun, you won't need luck :D But good luck at the Rally-O trial, anyway. :goodvibes:

Etown_Chick
November 13th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Teri
best of luck to you both! Sounds like you will have a lot of fun.

Dog Dancer
November 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM
TeriM I hope you guys have a great time, I am assuming it's this weekend. Gonna be cold though!

TeriM
November 21st, 2010, 12:39 AM
So we had a wonderful day today. Riley scored a 98/100 for his first class and a 96/100 for the second class and we placed third. I am sooooooo proud of him :lovestruck:.

We compete in two more classes tomorrow.

growler~GateKeeper
November 21st, 2010, 02:59 AM
:highfive: Way to go Riley & Teri :highfive:

:goodvibes: for tomorrows competitions :goodvibes:

Sylvie
November 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM
Awsome scores :thumbs up

Hope you had fun. :D