Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog lost then found..

pbpatti
July 1st, 2010, 03:58 PM
I am a little worried and need some advise please. A couple of days ago some neighborhood children came by with a Cocker on a leash. They were looking for it's owner, they told me that they coiuld not take it home so I took it in.

The poor dog OMD, I had no idea how long he may have been missing so I offered it a small amount of food, he ate it so gingerly that I decided to take a look at his teeth, ugly, ugly, his canines were greeny/black, his chest was twice as wide as his hips (which were very tiny) and he was very unstable. He looked at Sasha's water like he wanted to drink but was afraid it would hurt.

Long story short...I used petlynx and his guardian came and picked him up. she was not a very pleaseant person, did not show any kind of gratitude. She called me a couple days later and asked if I had talken his tags off of him, all he had when he was found was a city tag. Now why would I take his tags????

I could not get this puppy out of my mind so I called the Humane Society to come and take a look at him, he is obviouly not getting any Vet care and I am so worried about him passing away without some help to be pain free.

Now, I am worried that the guardian may come after me...she only lives a couple of blocks away and as I said not a very happy person.

Any ideas on how to talk to her if she comes yelling!!!

14+kitties
July 1st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Tell her she was very lucky the kids brought him to you instead of him getting hit by a car or picked up by the shelter. Ingrate! What does she want for nothing? :wall: If you feel he is being neglected then maybe he is. You did nothing wrong. :thumbs up

pbpatti
July 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM
Thank you 14+ you are absolutly right. That is what I will say if she comes for me. :frustrated:

chico2
July 1st, 2010, 05:28 PM
pbpatti,you definitely did the right thing,that poor dog is suffering and needs help.
Do you think the HS will check him out?
It's animal-cruelty not to give a suffering dog vet-care:(

My own vet told me to call HS about little Bailey(our walking-buddy)when her ears were horribly infected,her teeth are also pretty bad,she too is a Cocker.
:pray:He gets help,the owner is a ungrateful jerk for sure,maybe she had dumped him,hoping he would not be found alive:(

pbpatti
July 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM
pbpatti,you definitely did the right thing,that poor dog is suffering and needs help.
Do you think the HS will check him out? Yes, the HS said they will look into this within a day or so. I am thinking maybe Monday at the latest
It's animal-cruelty not to give a suffering dog vet-care:(

My own vet told me to call HS about little Bailey(our walking-buddy)when her ears were horribly infected,her teeth are also pretty bad,she too is a Cocker. His ears were really dirty too, I was afraid to smell them!!!
:pray:He gets help,the owner is a ungrateful jerk for sure,maybe she had dumped him,hoping he would not be found alive, definately did not dump him, they were looking for him through a downpour. Maybe they just don't understand medical care for their furbabies...:( I am not sure but I think that HS will probably give them a time period to Vet this poor dog.

NoahGrey
July 2nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
I would have called the humane society when you took him in, they would have come, pick him up and would have seen the condition the dog was in. They could have issued vet orders to the owner, when she would have come by to pick up her dog.

If the dogs happens to come across your way again, I would go that route. Since you have made a complaint about the dogs conditions to them...they should follow up. But it might be longer...depending how busy they are.

hazelrunpack
July 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Any updates, patti? Will the HS call you after they've made their visit?

chico2
July 2nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hazel,I called a couple of times our HS about neglected animals,one was a very old lame Beagle outside 24/7 in the snow,no proper shelter,the other was a Rabbit in Hamilton(my sons neighbor)starving,in a very dirty cage.
They went and picked him up the same day.
The Beagle I took pics and e-mailed our HS,the pup was gone the next day,hopefully humanely euthanized.
On none of these two occasion did anyone call me,but I knew the animals had been taken care of.

pbpatti
July 3rd, 2010, 09:52 AM
The HS was not opened at the time this guy came to me so they would not have been able to pick him up. My choices that evening were to keep him until either his guardian (not mom) could come for him or keep him until the morning when the HS or Pound would be able to come and pick him up.

I called the HS a couple of days later, they said they will go to see him. Because of the privacy act they will not be able to tell me anything about what the outcome is only if his case is open or not.:shrug:

I am trusting that the information that I gave the HS will be enough for them to help this poor dog. :pray: