Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is there such a thing as ....

Luvmypitgirls
June 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Mosquito repellent for dogs? Something non toxic, biodegradeable?
We are having the worst year of mosquitos that I can remember in a long time. If you go outside after 5 pm, you become a smorg for the blood sucking vermin.
I use Deep Woods Off, (which I hate) and my poor dogs they get driven nuts.
It scares me a bit cuz they aren't due for their shots for another month, and I worry about heart worm from mosquitos.
So if anyone knows of a repellent for dogs, please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Frenchy
June 29th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I always use Skin So Soft (the bath oil from Avon) on myself and on the dogs. I pour some in a spray bottle and voila ! I also spray screen doors with it.

Can't put too much because it's an oil , so really greasy but that what makes it last. Churchill is the only dog that hates it , he will roll in dirt if I put any on him. :shrug:

Melinda
June 29th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I still swear by my bounce sheets, rub one on brina and then I tuck it into her collar

Longblades
June 29th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I use this. http://www.rods.com/Farnam-Roll-On-Insect-Repellent,2488.html It doesn't say mosquitoes but it sure does work for the deer flies and I don't see mos. on pup when I use it. I swipe down his muzzle, over and under his eyes (not too close) behind his ears and his underarms. Behind my own ears, back of neck and arms too, even though it says only for animals.

bcolliemama
June 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM
i use this one : http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/lincoln-natural-fly-repellent-500ml

it is meant for horses,but it works great, you really only need one spray. and a plus, its a natural.

Luvmypitgirls
June 29th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Wow thank you for all the replies!
I'm going to try every suggestion and see what works best for us.

Luvmypitgirls
June 29th, 2010, 10:31 PM
I always use Skin So Soft (the bath oil from Avon) on myself and on the dogs. I pour some in a spray bottle and voila ! I also spray screen doors with it.

Can't put too much because it's an oil , so really greasy but that what makes it last. Churchill is the only dog that hates it , he will roll in dirt if I put any on him. :shrug:

Does it wash out easily? You just use it concentrated or do you mix it with water in a spray bottle?

DoubleRR
June 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Skin so Soft works great--used to use it on the horses too. Also, there is Natrapel--which is citronella, dogs might not like it, but it is not harmful, and works! Bought that in the grocery store.

Frenchy
June 30th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Does it wash out easily? You just use it concentrated or do you mix it with water in a spray bottle?

I use it concentrated and I don't put enough on the dogs for them to need to be washed after. They might be a little greasy on the first day (they do smell great ! ) as long as you don't put too much , they won't need to be washed.

Luvmypitgirls
June 30th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I use it concentrated and I don't put enough on the dogs for them to need to be washed after. They might be a little greasy on the first day (they do smell great ! ) as long as you don't put too much , they won't need to be washed.

So a light misting all over their bodies then. And you say it works on humans as well? I hate using Off or Muskoil, I feel so contaminated after spraying that on my skin.:o