Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Puppy Owner

rottin_sadie
June 28th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I have a 10 week old Rottie pup named Sadie, she is spoiled by me. my husband is more strict with her when it comes to every thing. I have never had a puppy of a specific breed or this young so I am learning how to deal with her as well as teach her.

my husband on the other hand, grew up with Rottweilers, Sadie is his 4th. he also had a rotty who still lives with his parents named cheyenne. Cheyenne is 15 and very well mannered when she wants to be. at the age of 15 she has earned the right to walk away from us when we want her to do a trick. My husband adopted Cheyenne when she was about 1.5 years old. she has gone to training classes and still is very good on a leash and loves to go for walks.

Sadie is a good puppy with some bad habbits. she is starting to bite and chew on everything. I am happy to say that after 2.5 weeks of living here ( and getting treets) she is house trained.:thumbs up
I am looking in to training classes for sadie so she can learn what is ok to bite. I am pregnant and due in september so Training is a must!

I would love some opinions on trainers and any tips on how to train a puppy of this age.

sugarcatmom
June 28th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Hi Rottin-sadie, and welcome to the board! Congrats on the puppy, but we're going to need some pictures as proof that you actually do have a puppy and aren't just making it all up to get attention :D.

One of the best resources on the web for all things puppy is Dogstar Daily (http://www.dogstardaily.com/). Tons of free downloads and great info by some very knowledgable people in the dog training world.

But first, go get those pics......

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
LOL, SCM! Yes, we definitely need that proof, rottin sadie....and a picture's worth a thousand words! :thumbs up Or two or three or more pics... :D

Tundra_Queen
July 1st, 2010, 03:01 AM
Hi

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, we are sort of picture hungry here...never can get enough. :D

BenMax
July 1st, 2010, 08:02 AM
Congrats on your new puppy and of course your pregnancy.

Rottie pups are no different than any other pup, but they grow into big dogs that require structure. I had rotts as well (my favourite breed) and I can tell you that they are awesome family dogs. Very loyal and protective of their people.

You are actually at an advantage as your husband seems to know this breed well. Follow his queue as he knows what to do as he has the experience I assume. If he feels you are spoiling the dog, then cease doing so. I know your first instinct is to lavish them in love but when the dog starts getting older, this may turn against you. Remember that puppies are impressionable and learn good and bad behaviour based on how we interact with them while young. Stern but fair is my moto. Keep a cool head and warm heart when it comes to puppy rearing.

Puppy classes are the best way to learn what your dog is 'telling' you and how you should respond. Please remember that both you and your husband need to be consistant and on the same page when working with the pup. It is the same philosophy that you would use when bringing up a child. Both parents back one another up....and same goes for puppy rules.

There are wonderful puppy savvy people here on Pets that can answer probably more questions than I as I mostly work with adult dogs with issues. I presently do however have a puppymill puppy that is a challange, but things are progressing well.

Best of luck to you and your family. Stay tuned as I am certain more people will share their experiences, give you tips or just support you.

Nice to meet you.:thumbs up