Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Oriole Upgrade

Dee-O-Gee
June 27th, 2010, 09:58 PM
The plastic cup didn't last long as far as being anchored down. It broke away the other night and thought humph...time for an upgrade. :confused:

Weekend project.

Took a cedar shingle and made a box to fit 2 dollar store plastic containers.

Use my mitre saw and made precision cuts (:laughing: :laughing:) then glued all sides together with a base.

Got a bit carried away and decided that since the orioles like the hummingbird feeder,
I would paint the cedar box the same colors as the feeder and
Voila!

Wait...humph, wait, humph....

Dee-O-Gee
June 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM
A nice little dish that I can easily take in, out, wash and replenish with fresh jelly! :lightbulb:

Not 15 minutes after setting up the new haven, we received a vistor scoping out the new digs! :lightbulb:

Success! :thumbs up :clap::clap:

The End!

Love4himies
June 28th, 2010, 06:41 AM
GREAT JOB!!!!! What a fantastic idea and so successful :thumbs up

14+kitties
June 28th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Good job! Those precision cuts are amazing!!!!! :thumbs up
Love the paint job too. :highfive: I guess the bugs that are attracted to the jelly are just added protein for the birdies huh. :D

chico2
June 28th, 2010, 07:52 AM
klm,I've never heard of feeding the birds jelly,but I suppose it's good and sweet,looks great though,you are very handy.
If I did that,it would be filled with bees and flies,like 14+said,an extra protein bonus for the birdies.

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hey, great job, klm!!! :highfive: I finally put out a regular oriole feeder with compartments for the jelly and just hose it out every night. But my orioles are still turning up their beaks, even when I hang it out near the hummingbird feeders they keep raiding :D

Maybe I need to upgrade to a deluxe model, too! :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee
June 28th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys! :)

I just wish this stupid rain would stop! :frustrated: Everytime I put out fresh jelly, we get a monsoon and the jelly turns into to jelly water! :yell:

14+; I thought that if I painted the box the same color as the feeder, they would be attracted to either one and I guess it worked. :shrug:

Rained here again today. :frustrated: Layed out some fresh jelly around 5:30'ish and had 3 of them fighting over it soon after! :highfive:

The quick change of a dish really makes it easier to restock fresh and get out of the way! :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee
July 1st, 2010, 03:37 PM
No more jelly water! It's not lasting long enough for the rain to dilute! Adding 2 tablespoons a day and it's gone by sunset!

Had 4 of them fighting over it this morning but I caught a male & female sharing.

The male is so stunning.

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
Beautiful, klm!! :cloud9: I'm finally getting activity at my grape jelly, but not exactly what I thought. I'll try to post some pics later. :D

Dee-O-Gee
July 1st, 2010, 11:37 PM
Just saw your post Hazel and the pictures and truly amazing. Keep up the with the jelly cause more will come! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 2nd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Have you gotten any catbirds to come to yours? That's what I'm hoping to attract, but I think I need to pick the right location :o

Meanwhile, though, orioles are nice, aren't they? :cloud9:

Love4himies
July 2nd, 2010, 03:49 PM
Oh a male and female sharing :cloud9: :lovestruck:, love is in the air :D Hope you get to see some baby orioles at your feeder :pray:.

chico2
July 2nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
I had Cat-Birds here one summer,did not know what they were,had to check my bird-book..
Since we cut down our Cherry-tree years ago,I do not get as many beautiful birds anymore:(
The Orioles are very pretty:lovestruck:

Dee-O-Gee
July 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
No catbird sightings. Very interesting though.

Doing about 4 teaspoons in the morning and 2 teaspoons of jelly late afternoon. Is this too much for them to take in 1 day? :shrug:

I've seen up to six orioles at one time then they fly back individually or in pairs. :cloud9:

Don't want to overload them with sweets but also don't want them to find another feeding ground either. :confused:

hazelrunpack
July 7th, 2010, 03:57 PM
They eat a lot of fruit and drink nectar, anyway, so they should be able to handle a little grape jelly. 2 TBLS is about what ours go through in a day, too :thumbs up