Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How would you feel?

GunnerX
September 9th, 2004, 07:23 AM
If your dog was attacked by a larger dog? The very first week we got Ariel, that was when two vicious dogs ripped apart a 14 year old Shih Tzu. Once I read this at work, I instantly thought of my little dog. This news made me and my wife sad and all we could think of was Ariel at home. Our next door neighbour has a 6 year old Jack Russel who was recently attacked by a larger dog in the area and needed several stitches to his back.

This week alone, there has been two vicious attacks. The first one, I saw on TV and felt really sorry for Casey. The second one I just read on the paper on the train this morning. What if these dogs were yours?

Dog has surgery... (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1094508609689)

Owner punches.. (http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1094681411900)

Lucky Rescue
September 9th, 2004, 08:41 AM
My own BIG dog was attacked from behind so viciously by an Akita that he needed surgery. This happened on my property.

I wasn't very happy about it and was very angry at the owner, but dogs will be dogs, and if people don't control them or be responsible these things happen.:(

The owner offered to kill his dog, but I was horrified by that and begged him not to.

Cinnabear
September 9th, 2004, 08:42 AM
In the first one, I wonder if the injuries would be less if the muzzle was kept on? How ridiculous of those owners to let their dogs run free. And then to walk away as if nothing happened.

I'd be pretty leery about walking ever again. Would probably stay from parks and only walk on side walks where there is traffic.

MBRA518
September 9th, 2004, 10:13 AM
My own BIG dog was attacked from behind so viciously by an Akita that he needed surgery. This happened on my property.

I wasn't very happy about it and was very angry at the owner, but dogs will be dogs, and if people don't control them or be responsible these things happen.:(

The owner offered to kill his dog, but I was horrified by that and begged him not to.

My Rottie was attacked twice by the same Dalmation in an off leash park in Halifax... The first time she was a pup (1 yr old) and just cowered while the other owner pulled her dog off... the second time my dog was full grown and fight back... neither were hurt, but why was that dog still in that park?? There were many other places to walk your dog and I know for a fact that dog had attacked many other dogs.

I agree with LR - dogs will be dogs and dog aggressive dogs need to be managed properly... however when that agression crosses over to people, I'm for having them PTS.

mastifflover
September 9th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Well it works the same way I own a giant breed who has been attacked by small dogs, this is a common occurence it is not funny my guy does not retaliate and the owners of these small dogs think it is funny and cute that there untrained, unsocialized dog is going after the biggest dog in the park. Well it is not funny or cute so it works both ways. If my dog did retalitate their dogs would be dead or severly injured I would never allow this to happen as my dog is socialized and trained.He will walk away or run away from them, he is not aggressive at all. If only the owners of these dogs would do the same. But you talk about large dogs attacking, so do small dogs probably more often and I have been bitten by one that also bit my dog and am waiting on a court date. The owner then tried to blame my dog thank godness for witnesses. The reason you hear about it when large dogs attack is because the injury is a lot worse than when it happens the opposite way. It also does not fuel the media to print it nobody was killed. But I really feel everybody needs to take responsibility for their own dogs regardless of the size or breed.

SSAC
September 9th, 2004, 10:56 AM
When I worked at a HS, we had many aggressive dogs surrendered to us.
we felt as if the owners were "dumping" their problem off on us :mad:

We had dogs that could only be handled with 2 catchpoles, while the vet tried to "get in" with IM sedation. These dogs were euthanised.

We also had a dog that could only be fed through the bars of the kennel. To move her to a clean kennel was very traumatising for the dog and staff, as the dog fought us all the way. Staff did get bit. The dog was euthanised as it's inhumane to keep a dog this way and would have been very traumatising for the dog to be quaranteed for the bite. (10 days). So health of animals collected the head for rabies testing, as the only Hx on this dog was that it was vicious and not UTD with vacc :mad:

PRIME example of bad bad bad owners (and probably breeders) :mad:

However, that being said, we also successfully rehabilitated and re-homed dogs without incident. These dogs had a full Hx and the bite incident was found to be due to self defense or owner stupidity. These dogs were adopted out with stipulations and a screening process was done on the new owner. (House and random spot checks, background checks). The owners were given the full Hx of the dogs. A "time bomb" would never be adopted out, no matter who the new owner would be, for fear of law suits if anything happened

That being said, maybe each case should be taken individually. Those found to be unprovoked attacks and "crazy" dogs should be euthanised as maybe it's fairer on the dog :confused:

Note: These were dogs of all shapes and sizes

glasslass
September 9th, 2004, 02:10 PM
As most of you know, Den-Den was attacked by two neighbor dogs that broke through our fence in July. (see the thread "Den-Den Attacked" 7/15) I know exactly how these two owners feel. These dogs had never shown any aggression before that I was aware of. I totally blame the irresponsible owners! As well as accept blame that I was equally responsible for the fence. We didn't know the board was loose, but we should have been checking it regularly. Thank goodness Den-Den recovered completely!

Luba
September 9th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Sadie was attacked by a JRT and a Lhasa

Honey when I was fostering her was attacked by a Corgi and a JRT

Both of these dogs are atleast 3x the size of the ones which attacked them for NO reason!

:mad:

It is ALWAYS the stupid owners FAULT!!

GunnerX
September 10th, 2004, 07:36 AM
I think they should put new laws against incompetent owners. I feel sorry for the pets as they always seem to get blamed and suffer the consequences. Dogs are being put down when they were just doing what their owners have taught them to do. Unfortunately the government/media always take the easy way out and just ban a whole breed when proper education and other methods would be a much better option.

chico2
September 10th, 2004, 08:16 AM
If I had to helplessly watch one of my cats beeing mauled by a dog,I probably would have murder on my mind :mad:
Yes,I fully agree the owner is at fault and banning a breed is totally wrong and unfair to all the responsible owners out there.
The only problem is,to get to a bad owner,their dog first has to maim or kill another animal or person,so what is the solution :confused:
People keep referring to Pits as BIG dogs,what I have seen of pitties,they are not BIG dogs..
Our government is grasping at straws,trying to please the masses,in what will be a devestating law for people who love their dogs and take care to ensure they are well trained.
The BAD owners will keep their dogs,but might keep them in a dark basement,to use the dog solely as a weapon,all in all the good owners and their dogs will loose.

moontamara
September 10th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Mastifflover, I'm sorry about that!

(Sorry to all of you with stories about your dogs being attacked too -- I've had a similar experience and it's horrifying!!!)

That is, actually, part of the reason that I pick Casey up around certain big dogs -- when he's in a particularly frisky mood and will try to get the big dog "going." Of course, Casey's a puppy, and he's getting better every time, and if he was to start nipping at ANY dog, I would immediately correct him and separate him from the other dog.

Small dog owners can be just as bad as large dog owners, although the consequences are (usually) not as severe.

mastifflover
September 10th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Let me preface this by saying that this is not an attack on small dog owners because there are a lot of really good ones, as there are good large dog owners. But that small percentage that aren't, really give everyone a bad name. Unfortunatley small dog owners are worse (and I am talking about irresponsible owner) when it comes to correcting bad behaviour. I see it a lot when the dog is being aggressive for instance they pick the dog up and walk away instead of correcting the behaviour. Thus the dog does not realize what it is doing is wrong. It can be a recipe for disaster if one of these small breeds goes after the wrong dog and by picking the dog up they also put themselves at risk of being attacked. Ultimatley I don't want to see any dog or person injured, and if everybody took responsibility for there pets we would have a much happier relationship between pet owners adn there pets.

melanie
September 10th, 2004, 05:32 PM
moontamara, please, please be careful picking up your dog when big dogs come. this can be extremely dangerous, i have seen some horrific injuries inflicted upon small dog owners from picking up their dog when another attacksi know a dog owner who was near mauled to death by a pack of dogs who attacked her after picking up their small dog.. i know you dont want your baby hurt, i totally understand, but, a big dog may not intend to hurt your dog, just make some noise and what not. just be really careful and judge the situation well..
also if you pick up your dog it could send mixed signals to the big dog, i know my big girl looks at small dog owners a little funny when they pick up their little ones. if they left them on the ground (on a short lead so everyone is safe) she would not notice, but picking them up gets her attention as it seems strange to her, another dog may just interprete this as a fear sign. just a thought