Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Prayers need for our new kitty

BenMax
June 21st, 2010, 02:20 PM
I need your strength, prayers and maybe some insight.

As you all know, I added one more homeless kitty to our family. She was only with us for one week when things went horribly wrong. She is currently at the clinic and we do not know what is going on or why she is not doing well. She is a young siamese bluepoint that was found starving. At the shelter she refused to eat and was force fed. When they gave up, I transported her to another shelter where they treated her and helped her survive. After 3 weeks my heart was heavy for her as I knew that once out of the shelter she would make a change in the right direction. She did but only for one week.

My daughter called in a panic saying that she was eating but not deficating. I drove down to Ottawa and indeed the cat was straining and finally did poop out a cement like fecal sample. I rushed her to the vet and she has been there ever since without any improvement even with a laxative and flushing. The x-rays showed fecal blockage and I am not sure what all this means now nor the future...or even if there is a future.

So please send pawsitive vibes, waves, prayers my child's way as well of course the cats. This has been a heartbreaking experience and I never wanted to hurt my daughter in such a way.

Thank you all.
BenMax

Rgeurts
June 21st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Poor little thing :(

Sending many :goodvibes: and :pray: your way

SIL
June 21st, 2010, 02:36 PM
BenMax...sending all of the above for you, your daughter and the little kitty...

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::pray::pray::pray:
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

14+kitties
June 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM
You have all the prayers I can give coming your way BM. :pray:
What is kitty eating? Do you know what she was eating in the shelter? Is she eating lots of canned food with added water? Sometimes that is what it takes to get them turned around. I know you know that. I would think this is something that may have been brewing for quite a while.
Will keep my fingers :fingerscr for you and your daughter and kitty. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

Chris21711
June 21st, 2010, 02:42 PM
Prayers going her way BenMax and to yourself and your Daughter.

You may/may not know that I have been dealing with Herbie and his constipation for several years, at times it is quite serious and he has to spend some time at the Vets. The last episode occurring just two weeks ago. Sometimes if the blockage is severe a manual evacuation is necessary, this is sometimes done under sedation and other times it is not necessary to sedate.

Please advise your Daughter not to panic, it can be dealt with successfully....Feeding canned food only, mixed with water (I make Herbie's like a thick soup) is paramount in controlling a kittie that has problems defecating.

BenMax
June 21st, 2010, 02:56 PM
You have all the prayers I can give coming your way BM. :pray:
What is kitty eating? Do you know what she was eating in the shelter? Is she eating lots of canned food with added water? Sometimes that is what it takes to get them turned around. I know you know that. I would think this is something that may have been brewing for quite a while.
Will keep my fingers :fingerscr for you and your daughter and kitty. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

The cat was eating canned EVO only mixed with water. Once home, she was eating both canned with water and some crunchies as well (Acana - lamb). We wanted her to put on weight and that is why the canned food was important. We noticed as well however that she was not big on drinking water.

At the shelter she was on W/D. The vet said that this may be for the rest of her life. Your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the good wishes. I am so very upset that I gave this cat to my daughter. Had I known I would not have given her this cat.

Bluedrake
June 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM
I hope kitty turns out alright. :goodvibes:

Frenchy
June 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
At the shelter she was on W/D. The vet said that this may be for the rest of her life. Your thoughts on this?

BM , my late cat Dweezil had to be on Medi-Cal Fiber all his life , well , when he first started to get constipation , he spent 3 days at the vet , from then on , he would get constipated again if I fed him anything else than the Medi-Cal Fiber. So I had no choice , I fed him the Medi-Cal. :shrug:

so sorry about your daughter's kitty :(

sugarcatmom
June 21st, 2010, 05:30 PM
Sorry that you and your daughter and her sweet kitty are going through this.....:grouphug:

If she is one of those cats that actually does need extra fibre in her diet, there are better ways to go about it than with the incredibly bad ingredients of W/D. A good canned food with some added psyllium husk or slippery elm (and LOTS of additional water), or some shredded low-glycemic vegetables like zucchini or green beans can be useful. A bit of aloe vera juice (without any sodium benzoate) helps if it's a motility issue, or a perhaps a regime of lactulose may be required. Probiotics are also something to consider.

Here is some info on constipation, and although it focuses on diabetic cats, it has good info for any situation: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Constipation

Ozzie
June 21st, 2010, 06:28 PM
Low carb wet food with water++

Also cats on this diet dont drink much, if any, straight water.:)

TeriM
June 21st, 2010, 06:36 PM
Add my thoughts and prayers for this poor kitty :grouphug:.

:goodvibes: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
June 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM
The cat was eating canned EVO only mixed with water. Once home, she was eating both canned with water and some crunchies as well (Acana - lamb). We wanted her to put on weight and that is why the canned food was important. We noticed as well however that she was not big on drinking water.

Thanks for the good wishes. I am so very upset that I gave this cat to my daughter. Had I known I would not have given her this cat.

Maybe that's why she was turned in in the first place. We won't know. :( It's unfortunate that she is going through this. I don't think your daughter will mind.
A lot of cats aren't big on drinking water. That is why it's so important that they get their water with their food, not beside it. Adding extra to her food sure won't hurt.

Sorry that you and your daughter and her sweet kitty are going through this.....:grouphug:

If she is one of those cats that actually does need extra fibre in her diet, there are better ways to go about it than with the incredibly bad ingredients of W/D. A good canned food with some added psyllium husk or slippery elm (and LOTS of additional water), or some shredded low-glycemic vegetables like zucchini or green beans can be useful. A bit of aloe vera juice (without any sodium benzoate) helps if it's a motility issue, or a perhaps a regime of lactulose may be required. Probiotics are also something to consider.

Here is some info on constipation, and although it focuses on diabetic cats, it has good info for any situation: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Constipation

My thoughts on this. What SCM says! :thumbs up:D

Love4himies
June 21st, 2010, 06:44 PM
Awww, the poor kitty :(

This could also be a nervous system problem that the nerves are not signalling the bowels to move. A very high quality canned that produces minimal residue is usually the best for the kitty.

Sending lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: and am hoping it is due to stress and will go away once the kitty settles in more :pray:

Luvmypitgirls
June 21st, 2010, 11:53 PM
Benmax, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and the kitty.
I hope whatever is going on can be remedied and that kitty will make a full recovery.
Hugs to you, please let us know whats happening.

mikischo
June 22nd, 2010, 12:34 AM
Just sending :grouphug: for you and your daughter and :pray::goodvibes: that little kitty makes a speedy recovery.

krdahmer
June 22nd, 2010, 02:52 AM
:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes::grouphug:

Tundra_Queen
June 22nd, 2010, 02:52 AM
BM...sending prayers for the kitty. :grouphug: I hope she will be ok soon.

BenMax
June 22nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
Thank you all so much.

SCM - BIG THANK YOU. I knew I could count on you for more information.

Things are going just OK. She is back at the shelter and they are monitoring. If there is no improvement and she backs up again, I am going to get her and bring her to my vet. Not that I don't trust theirs but I have such a great vet and need her opinion. So fingers crossed that she is doing well.

I will keep you all updated.

Dog Dancer
June 22nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
BM just saw this thread now. I sure hope that the kitty improves. No advice to offer,you've gotten plenty. :grouphug::grouphug: hugs to you and your daughter with prayers that kitty comes around swiftly.

14+kitties
June 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
BM - just a thought here. Is it possible she is suffering from Fatty Liver Disease (not sure if that's possible for one so young and thin) because of being starved earlier in her life? I would venture to say her problem is from the starvation period.
Is she going to be living in the shelter now or is your daughter taking her back once things have settled for her?

BenMax
June 22nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
BM - just a thought here. Is it possible she is suffering from Fatty Liver Disease (not sure if that's possible for one so young and thin) because of being starved earlier in her life? I would venture to say her problem is from the starvation period.
Is she going to be living in the shelter now or is your daughter taking her back once things have settled for her?

Since she is near the shelter and I know of no great vets out there, I asked them to take the cat and consult with their vet (mind you I must take care of the bill). The cat is suppose to be back at the shelter today with meds and under observation. If the cat blocks up again, I am having her brought to me to see my vet for a work up to find out what the heck is going on with her. Once the cat (Suki) is better and stronger, she goes back to my daughter. If this is going to be a problem forever....well looks like I have cat #7! But in saying that, my daughter really wants her cat back.

14+kitties
June 22nd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Since she is near the shelter and I know of no great vets out there, I asked them to take the cat and consult with their vet (mind you I must take care of the bill). The cat is suppose to be back at the shelter today with meds and under observation. If the cat blocks up again, I am having her brought to me to see my vet for a work up to find out what the heck is going on with her. Once the cat (Suki) is better and stronger, she goes back to my daughter. If this is going to be a problem forever....well looks like I have cat #7! But in saying that, my daughter really wants her cat back.

:thumbs up Thanks mf. My next statement was going to be if she was back in the shelter for good I would adopt her. Don't know if we would have a place to live when I would have to tell hubby yet another cat was moving into the house but.............. :rolleyes::D
I know you would not have left her there without good reason but wanted to double check. Thank you for setting this ol' gals' mind at rest. :grouphug:

chico2
June 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
Ben-Max,I hope little Suki pulls through for you and your daughter,I agree with 14+,her starvation might be the cause for this.
Sending all 3 of you:pray::fingerscr:goodvibes::grouphug:

BenMax
June 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
:thumbs up Thanks mf. My next statement was going to be if she was back in the shelter for good I would adopt her. Don't know if we would have a place to live when I would have to tell hubby yet another cat was moving into the house but.............. :rolleyes::D
I know you would not have left her there without good reason but wanted to double check. Thank you for setting this ol' gals' mind at rest. :grouphug:

Oh heavens No. If I make the committement then it is a done deal. I told her that she had a home and I mean it. Whether it is with my daughter or myself, she will never be in danger of rehoming or being surrendered. So no worries there. I brought her back there as I am 2.5 hours from where my daughter lives. But I learned a very valuable lesson in all this. Can you believe...I never thought of sourcing out a good vet BEFORE taking her. I should have done this! My bad, but there you go - something we can pass onto people BEFORE they get a pet. See - you learn something new every darn day and even I who have been doing this for years neglected this very important and obvious part when adopting. Go figure.

Suki was de-clogged and doing great. She is moving around and eating very well as well as deficating normal stools. The vet is going to advise me on her future today. Once she is sturdy, I am bringing her to Montreal to see my vet for more work up to pinpoint the problem as they still are not sure but they did say that the starvation could be the culpret.

So thank you all so much for your prayers and good wishes. It appears that they are received!!!!:grouphug::)

ancientgirl
June 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
BM, I'm so glad Suki has come through this. Perhaps she may need a special diet if this is something she's going to be dealing with regularly, but that's something that I'm sure is quite doable.

Frenchy
June 23rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
So glad kitty is doing good ! woot woot !! :thumbs up

I wonder if smaller meals , many times a day , would help with cat's constipation problems ?

chico2
June 23rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
BenMax,that's great news:thumbs upnothing is more exciting than normal poop:laughing:

BenMax
June 23rd, 2010, 03:38 PM
BenMax,that's great news:thumbs upnothing is more exciting than normal poop:laughing:

No kidding...was so happy to hear that a cat pooped.:laughing:

.unknown.
June 23rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Yay! I am so glad she is ok :)

Tundra_Queen
June 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
bn, that is great news about suki pooping!! :thumbs up

BenMax
June 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM
bn, that is great news about suki pooping!! :thumbs up

Thank you...small victories! So far she is doing well. I decided not to remove her from the shelter until she is recovered. Besides, she is aparently very hard to pill and my daughter does not have that kind of experience yet...but Mommy will definately be coaching her!

Time will tell if she will be ok and normal. I am still nervous about the whole thing as this is the first cat I ever had that had or has a problem such as this. It is absolutely terrible.

NoahGrey
June 24th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Hope your kitty will be ok..poor thing..keep us posted:)

diandpat
June 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: home you get some answers soon and that it is not too difficult to manage! :thumbs up

BenMax
June 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes: home you get some answers soon and that it is not too difficult to manage! :thumbs up

Thanks so much. No matter what the outcome is, she will get whatever it is that she is required to have. So darn sad though we only had the little monkey for 1 week and then this. Thank Dawg my daughter had the good sense to call me immediately. I think she is going to be a great cat owner, but I will be hoovering over to ensure it.

diandpat
June 24th, 2010, 10:47 AM
No matter what the outcome is, she will get whatever it is that she is required to have.

Well, I wouldn't have expected anything less from you Benmax! It is just so difficult to see them uncomfortable so she (and you) deserve an easy fix! ;)

BenMax
July 1st, 2010, 09:11 AM
YAHOO!!!!!! Our little Suki is back home with her mom as of last night. All is good! So thank you all for prayers received.

The vet explained that this cat in particular was starved when she was finally rescued. As a result, she will continue to eat and eat and eat. This is what caused the problem her body was not accostomed to eating so much and it also her body was not able to absorb the intake. Also - the food may have been a factor and too rich for her. It has been recommended to feed her small portions throughout the day and no free feeding. We were given the quantity to feed, also mixing it with water and recommended that she get alot of exercise.

All is great thus far. I am going up tommorrow morning to welcome her back home and I want to see that litterbox to ensure that the feces look normal.

So thanks everyone soooo much.

chico2
July 1st, 2010, 09:14 AM
BenMax,that's wonderful news,little Suki just knew you did not need any more bad news,so she tried so much harder to get well:cat:

ancientgirl
July 1st, 2010, 09:16 AM
Great news! I'm so glad she's doing better.

Love4himies
July 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
Wahoo!!!! Makes perfect sense, BenMax. A digestive system does not react well to abrupt changes, whether in diet or quantity of intake.

BenMax
July 1st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Wahoo!!!! Makes perfect sense, BenMax. A digestive system does not react well to abrupt changes, whether in diet or quantity of intake.

So I found out. You learn something new everyday. So glad that she is ok and I will remember this very important rule going forward. Lesson learned big time!

sugarcatmom
July 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
Fantastic, I'm so glad to hear this! :highfive:

14+kitties
July 1st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Yep, just like a person without water or food for a long time. When they get it they want to pig out and not stop eating.
:highfive: Great news that she is doing better!!

Frenchy
July 1st, 2010, 08:38 PM
woohoo for Suki ! :thumbs up glad she's doing better !