Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Opinions wanted about Oksana

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Hey guys. For the last couple of years Oksana has been having these odd little episodes. For a long time I thought it was asthma, but I could never get a video of her. The vet said on several occasions when I took her in for vaccines or a check up that her lungs sounded very good, and she also suggested what she does could be reverse sneezing. I've been thinking of having an x-ray done on her lungs, just to be sure, but knowing how much she hates going to the vet and how difficult she gets when she's there, I'm not sure I want to put her through x-rays without a valid reason.

Can anybody give me any clues on this? Excuse the crappy video quality. It's from my phone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/th_Video024.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/?action=view&current=Video024.mp4)

Winston
June 18th, 2010, 08:31 PM
AG I just watched that and honestly mine do the exact same thing when they have a hairball. Many years ago our first vet told me that if I could get ahold of them when they experience this rub their tummy forward to assist them in bringing it up. Alot of cats try to get it up and then dont.

I would save the money on any other tests unless the vet thinks its something to worry about. It really sounds horrible and scarey doesnt it?

With mine it seems to come in stages because they wont do it for awhile and then do it for a week and then off again..

Jim Hall
June 18th, 2010, 09:22 PM
that would be first thought too hairball time scares the h** out of the first few times dont it? i try to give du some aloe when she is getting an attrack of them and then furminate her reqally well

lindapalm
June 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Mine do the exact same thing, sometimes a hairball comes out, sometimes not. Best you can hope for is that their on the tile or linoleum when they do it, but 9 times out of 10 its the rug.

Dracko
June 18th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Yup, hairball. If mine do that I just put some butter on the top of their paws so they lick it off. Usually after a few days of that the problem is gone and they pass the furball.

diandpat
June 19th, 2010, 07:03 AM
AG, when I first adopted Ziggy I saw him have three asthma attacks and that is not what they looked/sounded like.

Never seen either of mine cough up a hairball (yet) but these folks seem to think that that is what it is. For now, save your $$$ and Oksana's sanity and don't rush out for the xray just yet.

Love4himies
June 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM
It's a furball, very very normal

ownedbycats
June 19th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Definitely a furball. At least Oksana is polite enough to choose the linoleun rather than the carpet:thumbs up

Love4himies
June 19th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Definitely a furball. At least Oksana is polite enough to choose the linoleun rather than the carpet:thumbs up

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

mikischo
June 19th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Punky has done the exact same thing a few times. Same sounds, same posture (crouch position with head close to the floor). Would last a couple of minutes and nothing came up. I was quite puzzled and concerned by this as well, and also did wonder about allergies (haven't seen it happen to him for several months now).

Any other cats I have had would cough a few times and out came the furball or I would find the evidence after the fact (usually on the carpet:D).

Glad to hear everyone saying it is just a stubborn furball. Solves the mystery for both of us.

14+kitties
June 19th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Butter has always done the trick for me. Try putting a bit on her paws and see what happens. :thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2010, 10:05 AM
THANK YOU ALL!!! :grouphug:

She loves butter, so I'm going to try that.

She scares the heck out of me when she does that. I do find hairballs around now and then, but I never see who coughs them up, and none of the others do this. Or at least, I never see them if they do this.

chico2
June 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM
AG.my sons landlords Siamese does the exact same,he is 8yrs old and has been doing that since he was 1.
With him it's not hair-balls,he just had a thorough exam and they are waiting for answers.
It's not asthma,the vet thinks it might be allergies,but to what,maybe the 2 Parrots flying around in the house:confused:
With Oksana it could very well be hair-balls,the butter-trick might help.

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Chico, yeah I wondered if she might have allergies too, but I also wonder to what. Food isn't the issue because she doesn't have any signs of a food allergy. She's perfectly healthy. I'll give her butter a few times a week. Like I said, luckily she loves butter so it shouldn't be hard to give to her.:D

krdahmer
June 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Ya most of my guys do that once in a while... some for hairballs and a couple of them when they hang their head too far over the corner of the cat tree.

great job on catching that on video though! :thumbs up It scares the crap outta me every time I hear it cause I always automatically think 'omg they're choking' every time!:o

ancientgirl
June 19th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Ya most of my guys do that once in a while... some for hairballs and a couple of them when they hang their head too far over the corner of the cat tree.

great job on catching that on video though! :thumbs up It scares the crap outta me every time I hear it cause I always automatically think 'omg they're choking' every time!:o

Yeah, it always scares the heck out of me when she does it. I feel so bad for her because she looks like she's so uncomfortable.