Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

At what age do the ears stand up?

silver_girl
September 8th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Hi!

I just have a quick question. This is probably silly, but I thought I would post anyway. :rolleyes:

My puppy, Maggie is almost 4 months old now. She is a german shepherd and Rotty Cross. Her one ear has been up for a while, but the tip has been down and now the other ear is just starting to stand up, but still not the tops. Will the tips take a while to stand or will they always be floppy? The way that her fur sits, and with the flopping tips, everyone thinks she looks like a collie. It could be in the parents background, somewhere. I think that she is adorable regardless, but I was just curious at what age will her ears be "set" at what they will always be?

Thanks ahead of time for your comments!

I hope to post "ear" pictures soon!

heidiho
September 8th, 2004, 03:16 PM
That happened with my gsd,one ear stood the other didnt,it took til he was about 4 months old for it to stand....Dont worry it will//

LavenderRott
September 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Rottweiler ears don't stand up, so your pups ears may not either.

Writing4Fun
September 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Oh I love dogs with floppy tips! Phoebe's tips were folded when we first got her. Both ears are right up now (she's 5 mths old). They went up at 4 mths. But, they still flap when she's running. Soooo cute! One of my brothers has a GSD/Rotti cross - his ears are completely folded (not just the tips). Yes! Please get some pics up soon! :D

heidiho
September 8th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Oh,didnt See The Rottie Part..

melanie
September 8th, 2004, 05:41 PM
not all gsd ears stand. my 8yo gsd has a floppy ear, it only stands when she is alert or over excited, the rest of the time it is floppy. she has one stand up most time and one floppy, i love a floppy eared gals i tells ya.
if it does not stand your not going to try and make it are you, your to nice to do that arent you?? dont think that is nice, so let it flop, it will stand when needed. :D

heidiho
September 8th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Arent they supposed to???

GsdDiamond
September 9th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Diamond's ears stand firm, and have been that way since she was about 3-4 months old. The more they chew, the stronger the muscles get. But, like others said, not all dogs have perky ears. I personally think that a floppy ear gives an adult dog a puppy face! Too adoreable.

silver_girl
September 9th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Oh goodness Melanie, I would never force her ears to do anything! I am fine with them, whatever they choose to be! :p

She is just too cute, I always have the camera ready... Thank God for digital! :D Too bad, they are all at home. Pictures will be coming soon, I promise!

On a side note, she got her stiches out last night from her spaying and the incision looks perfect according to the vet.. I was very careful and carried her up the stairs to bed, until about the 3rd day, when she as much said "no mum, I can do them myself" and ran around me and up the stairs in 2 seconds flat and then stood at the top with this huge grin on her face as if saying "See Mum, I'm fine!" :rolleyes: