Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat covered in motor oil

erinmac
September 8th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I just found this site and really hope someone can help me out.My cat spends most of his time outside and is always laying under cars. So yesterday he came home with oil on his face and head. Does anyone know a good way to clean him?
He looks ridiculous and is not happy about it! :mad: Please help!! :eek:

LavenderRott
September 8th, 2004, 01:39 PM
While I am not sure how to get motor oil off of your cat, I do know that sleeping under cars is far from a safe thing for your cat to be doing. Doesn't take much anti freeze under that car to kill a cat.

Have you considered keeping your cat in the house, where he is safe?

erinmac
September 8th, 2004, 01:45 PM
I would love my cat to stay in and I do not like him being under the cars. He is a 6 year old huge orange tabby who owns this neighborhood. Everyone knows him and loves him. I'm pretty sure he eats at other peoples houses. I don't think it would be possible to turn him into an indoor cat at this point. Thanks anyway. :)

marko
September 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
It is possible to turn an outdoor cat to an indoor one.

Here is an older pet tip.

Good luck

Marko

ADMIN

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-29.htm

Writing4Fun
September 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM
I can't remember which brand it is, but there was an ad on TV the other day for a dishwashing liquid where they showed it being used to clean animals involved in oil slicks. I think that might work for you, as long as you're careful not to get it in his eyes.

Good luck getting him to hold still for a bath, though! :eek: :D

Sneaky2006
September 8th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Dawn dish soap!! Works great for oil! Good luck.

Writing4Fun
September 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Great minds, Sneaky!! :D

Sneaky2006
September 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Yep!!! :) :)

Princesss04
September 8th, 2004, 02:07 PM
When you say he owns the neighborhood what do you mean? Is this cat fixed????

tayab
September 8th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Dawn dish soap rules. get out all kinds of grease, oil, and even kills fleas! :)

erinmac
September 9th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks for all the helpful ideas. The dish soap did a great job of cleaning him up.
About him owning the neighbourhood, I just meant that he knows everyone and acts like he belongs on everyone's front step. He's usually sleeping on one of my neighbours' front porches. And nobody minds him doing this, I've asked. Also he has been neutered since he was about 4 months old. Thanks! :)

mao's mommy
September 9th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Before bathing your cat in dish soap dilute it by a fair amount. This is to orevent skin irretation. We all know there is no way to thuroughly rinse a sudsy cat with out a lot of personal injury.
:)