Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am allowed to flippen RANT due to this season

BenMax
June 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM
You know, I and others are allowed to rant this moving season for the following reasons:

1. This year is one of the worst years I have seen for cats. Litters started early this year and the shelters are completely full of queens, mothers nursing, babies without moms to continue to build their immune system, kittens by the handful, lots of moves where 'no animals are allowed', too much trouble, too costly, too old, too young, too many..... husband does not want, new borns....children starting to crawl...

2. Huskies are starting to be abandoned due to one stupid person and their actions or there lack of. People are ignorant and ill informed and panic. Unbelievable.

3. Dogs that are no longer wanted. Left tied to fences, left in appartments, left in dog parks, abandoned at high kill pounds or shelters. Dogs never treated for broken bones due to cars...too costly to fix. Dogs with bad behaviour as the owners did absolutely nothing to teach them. Dogs from millers, no longer profitable.

People in animal rescue and shelters have had our share of burdeon. The normal person with compassion shares the same feelings of discouragement, dismay, bewilderment, and frustration.

For anyone that is considering to get rid of their pets, please look for an alternative...let's say, keep your committment. You have the right to own a pet, the animal has no rights whatsoever but rely on you for a safe loving home. Do your upmost to keep your pets, and if you cannot then be responsible and find someone who can help you.

It's enough already. Do what is right. If you cannot under circumstances keep your pet: re-home or get the right people to help you find a home for your pet. The death of these animals is too much for others to bare. It is the saddest thing to watch loving, worthy animals die every darn day because our society says it is ok to turn your back. It is not.

That is my rant. Another weekend transporting animals out, another weekend of evaluating broken dogs, another weekend of trying my best to save that one cat where there are 1000000 others looking back at me because I cannot. It's enough.

macon pets
June 14th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Good advice and a very worthy rant.

BrownEyedGirl
June 14th, 2010, 01:40 PM
That is my rant. Another weekend transporting animals out, another weekend of evaluating broken dogs, another weekend of trying my best to save that one cat where there are 1000000 others looking back at me because I cannot. It's enough.

this brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for all you do.

BrownEyedGirl
June 14th, 2010, 01:41 PM
I have a question - what are "queens?" sorry

BenMax
June 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM

this brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for all you do.

Thank you for listening. Thank you for being compassionate. Thank you for crying for all those that wait for death because we as a society have failed.

Queens are pregnant cats.

Frenchy
June 14th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Yes BM , you are allowed to rant :grouphug:

SIL
June 14th, 2010, 02:00 PM
BM rant away...you do amazing work :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

14+kitties
June 14th, 2010, 02:04 PM
You, my friend, are the last person who needs to ask permission to rant. You live, eat, breathe rescue. It's most likely the first thing you think of when you awake. Probably the last you think of before drifting off to sleep.
I wish there were a million more yous. Then the problem wouldn't be as hard to bear. :grouphug: Thank you for all you do. :grouphug::cloud9: Thank you for those you save. :angel:

BenMax
June 14th, 2010, 02:04 PM
BM rant away...do you amazing work :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

No SIL - WE all do the work. It goes far beyond rescue or shelter workers. I do not look for recognition, I get it from the animals when one is saved. I do it for them as most of us do.

Pets people are wonderful and I am to believe that you and others here are not of the norm.

I am saying thank you to all the great people at pets, that actually live up to their commitments. Thank dawg I have met some like minded people or else I personally would have lost my mind a long time ago.

I am ranting due to some ignorances.

ancientgirl
June 14th, 2010, 02:57 PM
I can't bring myself to read some of the threads posted of people leaving their pets, dropping them off, looking for homes or about pets being abused.

It's sickening. Some people make uninformed decisions, they take in a dog or cat, and don't think in future terms. They don't think that they will need to see a vet now and then. They need food, they need to be brushed, trained, bathed, given attention. Once that becomes too much, it's very easy to just take them and leave them for someone else to deal with it.

I pray every day for whoever is watching over me to give me the means to help even one or two more cats and a few dogs.

You who work in rescue are truly brave in my opinion. I know I could not deal with what you all see and live with on a daily basis. I would be a blubbering mess constantly. :grouphug:

Marty11
June 14th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I have often wondered what if BREEDING was banned all together for let's say 5 years. All pets by law must be spayed/neutered. Would that help the homeless, could we find a decline in unwanted pets?

BenMax
June 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I have often wondered what if BREEDING was banned all together for let's say 5 years. All pets by law must be spayed/neutered. Would that help the homeless, could we find a decline in unwanted pets?

Great question and point. Any ethical breeder would take back their own dogs. Not many that come into rescue anyways.

Breeding with millers or BYB's - you bet it would make a difference.

Mandatory spay and neuter would definately help the situation. Making people accountable would also help. But the biggest help would people being responsible and doing what is right.

Dog Dancer
June 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM
BenMax, you and the others on here who are so totally involved with rescue work have my undying respect and gratitude. I know that we can't all do that, but hopefully each of us in our own way are able to enlighten others with information about spay/neuter, proper care, proper feeding, obligations, etc. You give so much to these animals because their owners give so little, there will be a very very special place for you in heaven my friend. And it will be full of furry friends waiting to greet you again.

Out in my city right now they are debating about mandatory spaying/neutering of rabbits before they can be sold. As you know, people buy them when they're cute and then turn them out into the parks when they get tired of them. Wouldn't it be great if the same laws were considered for cats and dogs. Society has made it far too easy for people to be irresponsible. Somebody else (like you) will step up to the plate and save these animals so it's okay if I (not literally me) dump this creature. It's just too sad.

chico2
June 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Ben-Max,my heart breaks for you,for the tragedies you have to deal with on a daily basis.
All the forgotten,the abused and neglected animals you have been able to rescue and given a better life,is more than any other person can accomplish in a lifetime,you have a heart of gold.
I am sure,the anger,frustration and hopeless sadness you must feel for those you cannot save,keeps you awake at night:(
I don't know what the solution is to this terrible over-population of unwanted cats/dogs,the shelters even here,are filled,now what??
There will always be more callous people getting pets,the cute little kitten or puppy,only to betray this animals trust as they mature and dump them,it baffles me that people can care so little.
You know,that all of us here love you and all the good things you have accomplished,so rant all you want,we understand:grouphug:

cassiek
June 14th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Thank you BenMax, and to all of us on here who help homeless animals in some way or another.

Whether that is making a monetary donation to a local rescue every Christmas, or as involved as fostering and rescuing dogs in your own home. Heavens, those who have their pets sterilized certainly deserve credit for not contributing to the pet over-population, and recognizing that there is a problem and not wanting to contribute to it.

I, too, am so glad I found pets and have met others who are passionate about the same issues I am. It warms my heart to know that there are others out there who are doing their part (above and beyond) to help save innocent animals.

I find it incredibly hard to work in rescue, and it really has opened my eyes to the severity of the pet over-population. I leave some Thursday nights with tears in my eyes. Fortunately, seeing one dog or cat go to their forever home makes it all worth it for all the ignorant, cruel, disgusting tragedies I deal with all night of the same old BS: no time, moving, having a baby, etc. etc.

As a society we have failed millions of dogs and cats worldwide, but we are making a difference and there is hope. We have to believe there is hope.

Love4himies
June 14th, 2010, 06:02 PM
You rant away, girl!!!!! After all that you do and see, you need an outlet and you know you can come here to do it! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Chico, very well said :thumbs up

luckypenny
June 14th, 2010, 09:01 PM
:grouphug:

Jim Hall
June 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
rock on benmax anytime

Tundra_Queen
June 14th, 2010, 10:12 PM
:grouphug::grouphug:

Luvmypitgirls
June 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM
:grouphug:...BenMax, I share in your pain, and I'm sad to hear that Husky's are now being dumped and abandoned because of the tragedy in Quebec.
Hugs to you BenMax, the animals you work with are blessed to have such an advocate!

rg_girlca
June 15th, 2010, 07:11 PM
:grouphug:

It is so disheartening to know there are such nasty people in this world, who couldn't care less about the welfare of animals. But then there are people like you BenMax, who make the world a better place for them.

Thank you and all the others who devote their time to making this world a better place for all the unwanted, abused, precious animals.

It's sad to know that after all this time, all the talk about spaying and neutering your pets, still falls on deaf ears. That an animal is not just an animal, but a family member. That an animal is not a part time commitment, but a life time commitment. People STILL don't get it and until they do BenMax, you have every right to rant.

BenMax
June 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
Continuation of last weeks rant.

Shelters, pounds and now even rescues are filled. I cannot even squeeze in one more dog nor cat. 15 dogs and 2 cats saved last week. How pathetic is that????

More dogs and cats coming in. Where the HECK is HUMANITY? Where?

This year it has been stated that it is the WORST year ever.

To anyone reading that is considering another pet, please go to your closest pound or shelter. Adopt a pet and save a life. There is absolute truth to that statement. Absolute.

cell
June 21st, 2010, 03:52 PM
Quebec/Montreal is one of the worst areas for abandoning pets this time of year. Having "moving day" set across the city as July 1st lots of people moving into places and having their pets rejected. Although great pet owners will try to find pet friendly places they are exceedingly hard to find within Montreal especially. People with pets who have a safe dwelling just don't move very often because it is too stressful. I know I would have liked to move but now that we have Leo its essentially out of the question.
That coupled with all the people here who don't fix their pets and purposefully/unintentionally let them breed makings for a death-camp in Montreal area for pets this time of year.

BenMax
June 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM
Quebec/Montreal is one of the worst areas.
That coupled with all the people here who don't fix their pets and purposefully/unintentionally let them breed makings for a death-camp in Montreal area for pets this time of year.

Amen to that. Sadly.

cell
June 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
I was asked just 2 days ago by a couple with another doxie if Leo was fixed because they wanted their standard female to have puppies. Although it was flattering that they though my dog was a really good representation of the breed, I was annoyed at the same time that they were likely unaware that puppies in Montreal are bought fast and abandoned just as fast once moving day comes or cuteness factor runs out. :shrug: Even Leo can attest to this behaviour as his original owners bought him and dumped him at the SPCA after only a month.

BenMax
June 21st, 2010, 04:07 PM
I was asked just 2 days ago by a couple with another doxie if Leo was fixed because they wanted their standard female to have puppies.

Oh lordy - with the frame of mind I am in right now, I don't know how polite I would have been.:shrug:

Frenchy
June 21st, 2010, 04:29 PM
Yep , July 1 is coming :(

chico2
June 21st, 2010, 05:05 PM
OMG,what can I say,nothing,I am just very sorry for all these animals and people like you Ben-Max,who see the misery in these animals eyes every day:(

Bluedrake
June 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
Rant away. Keeping your feelings bottled up inside won't help. It might lead you to punch one of those losers who abandon their pets. :evil:

susieqt
June 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Benmax, your first post on this thread is exactly how I feel! My poor sister has to hear me rant everyday!!! It IS the worst year I have ever seen - everyday day we received at least 30 calls for people wanting to abandon their cats or stray cats on their property. We feel helpless because we cannot help these animals so we tell them to please go to their vet to have them put to sleep. I want even start to talk about the calls and emails for dogs!!!

And then on top of all this, I hear of some people very close to me purposely breeding their dogs: this, by far, has to be the worst I have to deal with. If these people don't get it, who will?????????

Please, everyone, just stop bringing more dogs and cats into this world! Even if you think yours is the cutest and smartest animal around, other people don't share this thought!

BenMax
June 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Benmax, your first post on this thread is exactly how I feel! My poor sister has to hear me rant everyday!!! It IS the worst year I have ever seen - everyday day we received at least 30 calls for people wanting to abandon their cats or stray cats on their property. We feel helpless because we cannot help these animals so we tell them to please go to their vet to have them put to sleep. I want even start to talk about the calls and emails for dogs!!!

And then on top of all this, I hear of some people very close to me purposely breeding their dogs: this, by far, has to be the worst I have to deal with. If these people don't get it, who will?????????

Please, everyone, just stop bringing more dogs and cats into this world! Even if you think yours is the cutest and smartest animal around, other people don't share this thought!

You know dear friend, I think of you and your sister very often and I am afraid to call you at this time. You both are one of my favourite people and I don't know how you do what you do either. Luckily we have something in common and that is seeking rescues to assist whenever they can. I heard that you need help and I wish I could do something for you. As you know, my focus has been on high kill shelters and I have neglected to contact you. My apologies.

Listen - I will call you maybe this week as perhaps I can help with at least one dog. I have a friend (indeed I do), that is coming down this weekend and I can ask him to help out with one dog going back to Ottawa. I am looking for a small breed if possible or a wire haired. Maybe we can work something out. It is only one, but it is better than none.

:grouphug: for all you and your sister do. You have my upmost respect and admiration.

I apologize for my selfishness and not identifying your concerns as well.

Floppy Dog
June 22nd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Perhaps all wannabe pet owners should be required to volunteer at a rescue centre or humane society for a year, with at least six months assisting in surgeries and necessary euthanasia! After that experience anyone who does not understand the lifetime commitment required of pet owners is IMHO lacking something as a human being. Those who neglect or abuse children and/or animals are guilty of the worst crime because they attack the defenseless.