Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what not to forget

raingirl
September 8th, 2004, 11:31 AM
I've been making a list of things that I would need when getting a dog. Being that i've never had one before, I don't want to forget anything. Here is my list so far. Ones marked ?? I have questions about.

-crate
-food ?? (I heard it's ok to make home made food, how does this work?)
-food dishes
-leash
-pet bed ?? (what alternatives are there to this? blankets, pillows, etc)
-toys
-treats ?? (I assume we need these for training to reward good behaviour..what kind are best??)
-health items ?? (shampoo, vitamins, toothbrush??)

I know there are things I'm forgetting...so please enlighten me!! Any suggestions for books to purchase would be good as well (i.e. for training)

GsdDiamond
September 8th, 2004, 11:50 AM
-food ?? (I heard it's ok to make home made food, how does this work?)
-pet bed ?? (what alternatives are there to this? blankets, pillows, etc)
-treats ?? (I assume we need these for training to reward good behaviour..what kind are best??)
-health items ?? (shampoo, vitamins, toothbrush??)

I can't help you with the food one as I don't make my own food.

Pet bed: I use anything she wants to lay on. She has her favorite pillow, but she chews that. Besides, it's only big enough for her head and shoulders now. We bought her another pillow that she can lay on. Sometimes she'll lay on it, and sometimes not. It all depends on how she's feeling at the moment. Whatever you put down for the dog, that's comfortable of course, is ok I would think.

Treats: You may find the puppy a little fussy on what it wants to eat. For training, try getting something that you can break into small pieces. It's not the size of the treat they get while training, it's the fact that they get one, even if it's just a taster! We tried her on liver treats, specifically used in training...she didn't like them one bit. Cheese is the treat of choice for our "mouse".

Shampoos and such: We only got one type so far, and only used it once... a moisturizing shampoo for dry skin (we tried everything for her itching). I guess it depends on what your needs are at the time. If treating for fleas...get a flea shampoo. If treating dry skin...get a moisturizing shampoo. If in doubt as your vet. They may have seen products on the market that cause reactions unknown to the average owner. As far as toothbrush...can't help you. My dog chews constantly, so her teeth and gums are perfect (I try to remember to check everyday). I can't help you with vitamins either I'm afraid.

Also, depending on the type of dog, you're going to want to get a brush or comb.

Another item: nail clippers (guillotine style)

Good luck with the rest of your query. :)

Lucky Rescue
September 8th, 2004, 12:18 PM
If you get a short haired dog, you will need a coat and boots for winter walking!:)

There is a place in Ontario that makes the best dog boots around.

MuttLuks (www.muttluks.com)

Cinnabear
September 8th, 2004, 12:48 PM
I bought those boots and coats for my dog. WASTE of money. Mine don't like boots on. If I remember to put on a coat. Definately not needed. Jmho.

Cactus Flower
September 8th, 2004, 12:48 PM
When I got Raj, I couldn't find a bed big enough for her. I ended up buying a bed-roll to be her bed in my bedroom. For her living-room bed, I bought body pillows and just sewed them together! Worked great, and is very portable- just tucks toys and blankets in the middle, fold them at the seam and carry the whole thing off that way!
Might want to keep this in mind if you end up rescuing a very large dog.

Also, once you know which dog you are getting, be sure to have a collar for tags and a harness/halter for walking.

Raj and Chloe agree wholeheartedly on CHEESE being the best treat in the world!

shan
September 8th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Annie just sleeps in her crate in our room. We have done this since the first day we brought her home, and it was one of our best decisions. Now when we go somewhere and she needs to be crated, she just sleeps, because that is what it is for, in her mind. In fact we took her for a 9 hour trip with us, and she ddnt make one sound!!

raingirl
September 8th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Ahh yes! Brushes!! And nail clippers! I didn't think of those.

We don't know much yet about what we are getting. We are browsing petfinder almost daily.

We have done a lot of those online "tests" for what kinds are dogs meet our personality. One dog that we both agree on, that is often available in a rescue, is a boxer. They are easy to groom, easy to train (although we don't plan on getting a puppy, we want an older dog already trained, but we assume we will have to do some re-training still), loyal, good for apartments, moderate excercise (aparently they do fine on 30 minutes per day). And guess what?? I just learned today that the large park system just beside my buidling has a leash free dog park!! How great!! They are also good to leave alone during the day! Plus..they are super cute.

Right now we aren't 100% set on this, as we are keeping our eyes open for anything that fits our requirements. We are making calls, sending e-mails, asking info.

Any books that anyone can suggest?? All the stuff we see is breed specific. We are looking for a general dog encyclopedia, something that has breed info, grooming info, training info, feeding info, medical info, etc.

Thanks!

Opps! forgot about collar and tags! I beleive dogs here have to be registered and they give you a tag?? How does that work? If I have to get my own tags, what do I put on them? Do I just get one done at keyman?

shihtzulover
September 8th, 2004, 01:38 PM
I read in a book before that you can make a bed out of mismatched socks, you just take them and stuff them with old panyhose and sew the ends, then you start sewing them in a circle. It was really cute.

Writing4Fun
September 8th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Boxers need 30 mins/day?? I always thought they were super active and needed lots of exercise?

You can get an ID tag anywhere - we got ours at PetSmart, but our vet has a display from a local retired gentleman who's doing them as well. Your dog license can be bought at City Hall. Poor Phoebe sounds like she's wearing sleigh bells with her ID tag, rabies tag, and city dog license all jingling off her collar! :D

I think the "for Dummies" books are supposed to be really god. There's a "Puppies for Dummies" to start with, and then you can get a breed-specific one later, or get the "Dogs for Dummies" if you end up with a mutt. I think they even have "Training Dogs for Dummies", or something to that effect. I usually check them all out on-line at Amazon.com before I head out and buy one.

Good Luck, and keep us posted on your hunt for the perfect family pet! :D

TalonsMa
September 8th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I think the "for Dummies" books are supposed to be really god. There's a "Puppies for Dummies" to start with, and then you can get a breed-specific one later, or get the "Dogs for Dummies" if you end up with a mutt. I think they even have "Training Dogs for Dummies", or something to that effect. I usually check them all out on-line at Amazon.com before I head out and buy one.

I agree! We bought the Labs for Dummies book. What a life saver, it's got a lot of really good info in it. :D

TalonsMa
September 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM
For Solara's bed, we didn't want to buy anything right away because we don't know for sure how big she will be (she already weighs 17lbs) so I put a blanket in the crate along with one of our old pillows. She loves it!! When she gets to be her full grown size, then we'll buy her a bed.

Lucky Rescue
September 8th, 2004, 03:41 PM
I bought those boots and coats for my dog. WASTE of money. Mine don't like boots on. If I remember to put on a coat. Definately not needed.

If you have a single-coated, very short haired breed like I have, these things are essential when the temps get into the minus 20 range. They definitely ARE needed. :eek:

tayab
September 8th, 2004, 10:57 PM
dog bed. hmmmm.. ours just sleeps with us..he is soo spoiled. lol he also has a big round pillow in the living room..
Id tags are essential. I have my baby microchipped as well (i got it done at our humane society for 10 bux. also has a tag that tells others he is chipped.)
As far as shampoo goes. I like dog crazy for general cleaning cuz it smells so good. i get it at petsmart. and for fleas I like "Zodiac", or dawn dishsoap..lol
for a boxer, I would suggest a "kong" chew toy....
good luck with your hunt.

heeler's rock!
September 8th, 2004, 11:41 PM
Hey raingirl! I agree that dog boots are great for dsogs taht are not adapted to the cold. It just takes some getting used to for them!

as for food, you don't have to make your own, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the time to devote to it. There are a lot of good dog foods out there, including raw which all of my dogs are on. There are tons of threads about food so I'm sure you'll find something!

As for beds, my dogs have 3 but sometimes they just like the floor! :D It all depends on their mood at that moment!

Books I have that I find to be informative are:
1. "Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog" by Wendy Volhard and Kerry Brown. This one has a recipie for dog food, but it takes a lot of time...
2. "Caring for Your Dog" by Dr. Bruce Fogle DVM.
3. "Natural Dog Care" also by Dr. Bruce Fogle DVM.

I hope this helps. Also, when getting books, get lots and form a personal opinion. Don't take everything written in these books at face value. You will know what is going to work and what is not going to work for your dog when you get him/her!!! :D