Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heart Murmur in Puppy

serenamlambe
June 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
So, just got home from the vet's with Keely - our 8 week old puppy.

Everything looks good with her & she had her vaccines, except it turns out that she has a heart murmur.

The vet says it's not too serious, rating it about a 2 on a scale of 6. He said it's something to be aware of and they'll monitor it. Also, something we have to watch out for when it is time for her to be fixed.

Just wondering if any of you have experience with heart murmurs? I'm a little concerned and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Frenchy
June 12th, 2010, 03:17 PM
I never had a dog with this but I did foster one with this condition (grade 3) and vet assured me she would still have a long and healthy life. Last I heard from her forever family , she was about 6 years old and still doing super fine :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
June 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
As long as it doesn't progress, she should be okay. Grade 2 is pretty mild.

When I was a kid I had a mild heart murmur, too. It seems to have disappeared with age--the one benefit of growing old, I guess! :laughing: Well...that and the gathering of 'wisdom' :rolleyes: :p

Anyway, maybe this will be something that Keely outgrows? :fingerscr

serenamlambe
June 12th, 2010, 03:38 PM
The vet did mention that it is possible that she will outgrow it - hence why they're going to monitor it.

I'm not worrying too much yet, but I figure it's always good to ask for other's peoples experiences... just in case something pops up. Then I can be on the watch for the signs of something more serious.

Goldfields
June 13th, 2010, 04:38 AM
My first sheltie had a heart murmur that she didn't lose, in fact towards the end of her life she had funny turns but would be okay if we lay her down for a bit, and the good news is that she lived to 15 years old. At your pup's age I'd be hoping that she just outgrows it.
My younger brother has a heart murmur , Hazel, bad enough to have kept him out of the Army and the Vietnam war, so it's not all bad news. :)