June 11th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Well,I still do not know if Rocky has thyroid-cancer,or not.
He had his T4 and a test for his calcium-level which was very high the last time,I don't really know what that means,or what's causing it:confused:
I thought he had gained weight,but he had lost another 20 grams:(
Again I have to wait for test-results and see if a biopsy is needed.
I am not fooling myself,there has been some change in his behavior,his meowing is hoarse,he does not want to playfight with Vinnie anymore.
Also every night and morning he curls up in my lap,something he did not used to do too often,he would sleep by me,but not crawling in to my lap.
As for Chico,he is in perfect health,his teeth are great and in his 13yrs,never had his teeth cleaned,that kind of kills the myth that canned food gives them tooth-decay.
They were both really good,but it's always stressful for us getting them in to the carriers.
June 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Poor you and poor Rocky...more waiting :yell::yell: Hope they get to the bottom of whatever it is soon so you can stop worrying and figure out what you are dealing with :grouphug:
Glad to hear Chico got a clean bill of health. What did you end up doing vaccine-wise?
June 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I'm so sorry you still have no answer Chico2 :( when will you get the results ?
June 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
dap,I told my vet,Chico had been vaccinated every year of his life and he actually agreed,no more vaccine needed,Chico only got his 3 yr Rabies-vaccine.
Frenchy,I'll get the test-results sometime next week,I am scared,but calm..the only thing is,I cannot imagine being without my boy,I love him very much,love all three,but Rocky is very special to me.
June 11th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I'm sorry you have more waiting to do Chico, I know it's the worst.
June 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Chico, I'm so sorry u have to wait for more results! That sucks! :grouphug: Glad to hear that Chico is doing good! *S*
June 11th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Hating is always the worst part! :yell:
Here's for good results for Rocky! :goodvibes:
June 12th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Oh darn, I was hoping the vet would have had an answer for you :(. I find the waiting is so hard to do because the mind always seems to think the worse :(.
20 grams is really not significant. A new born kitten gains 10-20 grams per day, so on a full grown cat it is just the difference of a bowel movement or feeding timing. Not enough to put cancer in the equation yet :grouphug: :goodvibes: :pray: :fingerscr
Puddles too has high blood calcium. It has come down (but still high) since I have started making my own cat food and am very careful with the amount of bone I put in it. The vet did mention cancer, but that was 2 years ago :shrug: and no cancer.
June 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
L4H,thank you,I actually have no idea why or from what Rocky has a high calcium-level,the vet seems concerned though:confused:
My cats eat Wellness and Eagle Pack canned,exclusively,the vet agreed it's good stuff..
I am really not a worry-wart before I get some facts,learned that with my kids.
So far he eats,drinks,loves to come outside,does not seem sick or in pain.:fingerscr maybe just overly affectionate..
After the cats were back in the carriers,hubby and the vet spent a 1/2 hour,talking about wine and soccer:laughing:they get along really great.
June 12th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Chico I am so proud of you....you're staying so calm!:grouphug: I wish they had some answers for you already, but I guess if it's because they are being super thorough it's worth the wait. I'm still keeping Rocky in my :pray:...:goodvibes:
June 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Well,talked to the vet this afternoon,Rockys T4 was a bit too low,so we cut 1/2 pill.
As for his calcium problem,Growler explained a lot to me(thank you:thumbs up) and it could be a sign of kidney-failure,cancer or a whole bunch of things:(
Anyway,the vet said,Rocky could have surgery to remove his Para-Thyroid,but he did not recommend it for some reason:confused:
Instead he is putting him on a steroid-like pill(diuretic sp???)
When I go there tomorrow,I will ask if a biopsy can be done,like he said before,I would still like to know if he has cancer.
I don't think he has kidney-failure,he pees fine,eats and drinks fine:confused:
I'll get some more info tomorrow,if I can get hubby and him to stop talking about soccer and wine:cat:
June 17th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Good Luck with your boy Chico! man if they could only talk?
Good thing DH likes your vet! mine sees $$$$$ when I mention the vet!
June 17th, 2010, 05:56 PM
You might as well put your mind at ease and get the testing for cancer. My vet didn't do it for Puddles because he said it was rare in cats and there wasn't any other signs of cancer.
June 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Winston,believe me hubby has not forgotten the $800 bill to pull one of Vinnies teeth:laughing:
The vet is a youngish(35-40)handsome guy,loves to talk,always takes time to get to know the patients owners.
L4H,yes I want to know and am going to ask him if a biopsy is possible,the Para-Thyroid is very tiny,maybe an x-ray,I don't know.
Will find out when we pick up Rockys pills.
June 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Good luck with Rocky's vet visit!:pray: :grouphug:
June 18th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Good luck Chico2 ! :goodvibes: :fingerscr
June 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Sending lots of :fingerscr:goodvibes::pray: for Rocky and you. I am still hoping for the best news possible. :grouphug:
June 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thank you girls,I did not take Rocky in today,just picked up his meds.
My vet,his name is Dieter,prescribed Prednisone which got me a little worried,but he said cats tolerate them much better than dogs:confused:I got 90 pills,90 days worth:frustrated:
The reason for the Pred is to flush out his kidneys and make him drink more,but he already drinks a lot.
In 3 months he will get a special bloodtest,which will show if he has a tumor on the Para-Thyroid,it's too tiny for a biopsy..
All 3 of them are now pooped after being outside most of the day,Rocky is stretched out right in front of the monitor