Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

It's Hurricane season, so some plans need to be made.

ancientgirl
June 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM
My vet's office is actually a 24/7 clinic. Last year I found out they do special boarding during hurricanes, but you have to add your pet's name to their list.

I decided to do the same this year. We've been lucky for the past few years and haven't had a really destructive hurricane here, so I've never had to evacuate from where I live. However, I now life in a mandatory evacuation area. Not to mention, I live on the top floor, where it's virtually impossible to board any of my windows up. So there may come a time where I actually have to leave my apartment and either go to my dad's house or my brother's house.

There is NO WAY I'd leave the gang to fend for themselves in the apartment, but I also realize taking 5 cats with me to anyone's house is not going to be easy. I also can't afford to leave all 5 of the gang to be boarded.

Since Vlad and Oksana are the most difficult and anxious at the vet, I think I'd keep them with me and board Maks, Kiska and Czari. Not that they also don't get anxious, but they are more docile, whereas Vlad and Oksana can get downright scary. If I left Vlad or Oksana, there is the possibility they may feel the need to sedate them at some point and I don't want that.

I'm :pray: there are no major hurricanes this year. I'd much rather stay hunkered down with the gang during a not as bad tropical storm.

Chaser
June 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
fingers crosed for you AG....with the oil and all I am really concerned about the effects of a hurricane on humans and animals alike this summer. Good call on getting on that list though. :fingerscr you won't need it....

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2010, 07:23 AM
fingers crosed for you AG....with the oil and all I am really concerned about the effects of a hurricane on humans and animals alike this summer. Good call on getting on that list though. :fingerscr you won't need it....

I'm sick to death about this oil situation. I can't even look at photos of those poor animals covered with oil. This is just such a horrible situation, and I heard talk that a hurricane could just spread this mess out further!

I hope we get lucky this year and don't get one. I hate the thought of having to leave my apartment, and I've been able to ride out the last two hurricanes at home. Luckily, they were not major storms with a lot of damage. I'm afraid more for the gang than me. My fear is that something will happen that I may have to leave fast, and they might be so scared they'd go hide or try to run from me when I try to get them in a carrier. I'd rather know that 3 of them have a safe place, that I trust to leave them at, and then take Vlad and Oksana with me either to my dads house or to my brothers place.