Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat ate catnip mouse

catnbudge
June 8th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I made my cat a little catnip mouse on Saturday. Within five minutes, she was chewing on the plastic bag the catnip had been in and the mouse was nowhere to be found.
Abby only poops every second day and she pooped that night but I am wondering whether I should call the vet or if possibly nature could take it's course.
The mouse was t-shirt material and probably about 2 inches by 2 inches square. I have given her Petromalt as she hates Tonic-Lax.
Today would be a normal poop day but nothing so far.
Her belly doesn't seem sensitive but I am worried. Thanks,

hazelrunpack
June 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Have you called your vet's office to see what they recommend you do?

When our dogs get into something they shouldn't we're usually told to keep an eye on them for a few days and watch for symptoms of blockage. More often than not, they either throw up the offending material or it passes through.

If she starts acting lethargic or stops eating, of course, get her to the vet as soon as possible.

catnbudge
June 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I am waiting for the vet to call me back now. Abby always wakes me up when she wants to poop (no cat sense of dignity at all!) but sometimes, it is just a way to get us to play with her in the middle of the night. Last night she got me out to the box a few times but never got in. My husband brought in a clump of grass for her to chew on with the hope that she would vomit up whatever is left but no such luck. She didn't eat at all the rest of the Saturday but late on Sunday she did eat some of her food. I will let you know what the vet says.

quincymycat
June 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Good luck....my guys usually end up passing what ever goes in...in pretty much the same condition it goes into them :D, but if there is a problem with kitty's appetite and not passing anything, the vet should definately be able to give an opinion on what to do next.

catlover2
June 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
catnbudge, any bowel movement? I think she should have passed something by now, since her last BM, was it Saturday?
If she isn't eating and/or is vomiting, one has to think "bowel obstruction", and she should be seen by a vet immediately. Hope it's not that! Can you give us an update?

catnbudge
June 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Abby is not what her vet calls a regular cat and only poops every second day. This time it was three days, and that was with a lot of Petromalt. So that was Tuesday. I looked through what she'd done but although it looked a bit odd, there was no sign of the cloth mouse. Maybe it dissolved?

I called the vet on Monday. She said that as long as Abby isn't vomiting or lethargic she should be okay.

Today should be another poop day (we keep a Scoop Diary so that we can keep track of these things!) and I'm hoping to see some sign of the mouse. She is behaving just as she usually does. On this rather chilly day, she is lying on her back in front of the fireplace and toasting her belly. Thanks for the help,