Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do you network for a dog killing dog?

BenMax
June 8th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Again I am faced with a situation to network for a dog that killed another. I refused in the past, and I am refusing once again.

The kill was not defensive. In short- a larger dog killed a smaller breed. Not much more was told.

What are your thoughts?

Dog Dancer
June 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Sad as it is, I don't believe dogs that kill other dogs have a place with us. If it was an unprovoked attack then in my mind that dog is too much of a liability. Sadly not all dogs have been raised properly, or are wired properly, to fit into the lives we lead. I too would have a hard time justifying placement of such a dog. Hard as it is, there are many dogs that truly need your time and efforts to give them a good life, but a killer dog may not be one of them.

luckypenny
June 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Is this a dog-aggressive dog? High prey drive? What were the circumstances surrounding the attack? Years back, Lucky nearly killed a 4-5 lbs wee little dog that was off leash and zoomed right to us. No sound came out of the little fella, Lucky instantly went into his 'stalking' posture and I bet my life that he had no idea it was a dog at first. I yelled "leave it" and Lucky dropped him while the owner never left his driveway and kept repeating "I'm sorry" :frustrated: :rolleyes:. Thankfully, the dog wasn't hurt. Does it mean if I hadn't had the chance to teach Lucky "leave it" yet and he killed the dog, he wouldn't deserve a chance :shrug:?

And then you're aware of what happened here recently. I couldn't tell you if the attack was unprovoked, we still don't know exactly what caused it and maybe we never will. There are so many theories but who's to say which one is right? Had I not intervened, I'm sure Penny wouldn't be here with us. And if that happened, what would I have done? I can't tell you because I don't know.

I have a deeper respect for what a dog is and what every dog is capable of doing.

Anyhow, all that to say, do you have more details? Does this dog have any serious issues? Is this dog in rescue? Did the incident happen while with owners? Do you know why they are giving/gave the dog up? So hard to say what one would do without all the facts. You'd have to judge based on information, knowledge, and experience.

BenMax
June 8th, 2010, 12:38 PM
LP - somehow I knew you were going to come back with your own experiences and of course you wanted more detail.

Detail I cannot give as the owners were not drilled. The dog has rescue status and is a breed that is less in demand. Regardless, of the reason, I cannot and will not help this dog. I just wanted some feedback.

Frenchy
June 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't network one either BM. :(

BenMax
June 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't network one either BM. :(

I was looking for affirmation from my fellow rescuers for sure. Though I welcome all comments from everyone.

Thanks Frenchy.

luckypenny
June 8th, 2010, 12:52 PM
The owners should be drilled by whoever has the dog now, I can't imagine trying to place a dog who's killed without knowing the details. The risk is much too high. A full medical and behavioral assessment should also be insisted upon before trying to place this dog. It's the only responsible thing to do. If I were in your shoes, then I wouldn't be willing to help either, especially not knowing what you're dealing with.

14+kitties
June 8th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Without knowing the facts of what happened surrounding the killing it's hard to say if the dog is normally aggressive or if the dog was enticed(?), provoked, whatever, to act. Years ago I was walking down to pick my son up from school, eight months pregnant, and witnessed a small dog race out toward a Shepherd barking furiously. The Shepherd picked it up and shook it, snapping it's neck. I could do nothing to stop it. :( I don't know what happened as the dog immediately took off. I went to the door of the house the small dog came from and had to break the news to them that their dog was most likely dead on the sidewalk. It made me sick. But, in retrospect, was that dog provoked by the smaller one running toward it barking? Did it deserve to be put down? I'm not so sure.

Saying that, in your position as a rescuer and facilitator, you speak for the dog. You are the one saying whether or not the dog is a good "risk". Considering the dog will most likely in the future be around other dogs and probably small children I would not be wanting to network it either. You, IMO, did right to refuse. :grouphug:

BenMax
June 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I did see this dog and evaluated. Very nice demeanor and disposition. Regardless, I had to refuse.

I think of the what if's really. What if I networked and secured a rescue and this dog was placed in a family. What if they lost their dog and it killed again. What if it went after a young child (that other story scares the dickens out of me). What if the dog's behaviour escalates into something more.

As much as I personally liked the dog, I hated what it did. For this reason I had to turn this away.

Dog Dancer
June 8th, 2010, 01:38 PM
You know BM, you have to go with your gut. Which you did. Only you can justify or not what decision you made. I would have gone the same way. The liability issues are huge and I don't mean in a financial way. Don't second guess your decision or you will become unable to do the wonderful things that you do. Trust your instincts they will rarely let you down.

Frenchy
June 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM
witnessed a small dog race out toward a Shepard barking furiously. The Shepard picked it up and shook it, snapping it's neck.

In that situation , IMO , the shepard wouldn't deserve to be put down.

BUT , I would not get involved in placing a dog that killed another dog for no reason (that we know of) for the same reason BM mentioned. It's hard to find pet owners responsable enough to trust that they would keep the aggressive dog safe , from other dogs and kids.

Reading some of the threads that have been posted here lately , stories on the news , just what I lived here at my house this afternoon (2 stray dogs at my fence) I seem to be asking too much out of people , I now have to say .... I don't trust too many dogs owners. I have lost faith ... :shrug:

BenMax
June 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Reading some of the threads that have been posted here lately , stories on the news , just what I lived here at my house this afternoon (2 stray dogs at my fence) I seem to be asking too much out of people , I now have to say .... I don't trust too many dogs owners. I have lost faith ... :shrug:

You know Frenchy - my faith in people was lost a very long time ago....but there are those that take responsibility seriously. I like you am still doing what I do because there is hope. You have met those people as I do.

You are not asking alot at all. What you are requesting is common sense.

aslan
June 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM
i'm kinda with LP on this,,i'd want to know more information about the situation. ie''if it was a small yappy dog provoking the larger dog,,did the other dog bite first,,etc,etc. If the dog is small dog aggressive that could be dealt with..