Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog walking in cemetery

Dog Dancer
June 8th, 2010, 11:42 AM
So what's your opinion of people walking their dogs in a cemetery?? I was driving home the other night and saw someone playing ball with their dog in the cemetery as I drove by. Golden retriever, not that it really mattered to me. I was so offended by this. I'm pretty sure there's signage that dogs aren't allowed, but regardless of that it just seems pretty rude to me. I would never think to let me dogs run around on top of the grave markers of somebodies loved ones, and all the other defecating issues. Never mind the "uck" factor of playing in the grave yard, it just seems so disrespectful to me.

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I don't mind so much with someone taking their pet with them, as long as they don't let them run around or if they need to poop, take them to a spot where there are no graves and pick up after him/her.

I think running around and playing catch is just disrespectful and downright creepy! When I go to the cemetery I always look before I walk. I hate feeling like I'm walking over someone.

BenMax
June 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
If I was buried, I would want nothing more than to fell the pitter patter of doggie feet above me.

Playing ball with a dog in a cemetary sounds a little strange but life is for the living. If there is an after life, then I for one would welcome the sport.

Ok - I am totally off the wall I suppose. I can understand how some people would object however.

Dog Dancer
June 8th, 2010, 11:56 AM
I can understand what you're saying Benmax, but that's us. I don't think most people would want some strangers dog lifting their leg on your dearly departed one's headstone though. I don't have a problem with bringing your dog to the cemetery to visit a lost loved one, just with letting your dog run all over seems wrong to me.

BenMax
June 8th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I can understand what you're saying Benmax, but that's us. I don't think most people would want some strangers dog lifting their leg on your dearly departed one's headstone though. I don't have a problem with bringing your dog to the cemetery to visit a lost loved one, just with letting your dog run all over seems wrong to me.

I see your point DD. But I have been pee'd on alive and I am certain I will be pee'd on when I am dead...and not only by dogs..:laughing:

On a serious note, I totally relate to what you are saying. But my opinion is not the norm obviously.

quincymycat
June 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have seen people go the cemetary with young children, who unless they are told, are likely understand the concept of respect for the dead as much as a puppy.
I have less of a problem with a dog running in the cemetary as long as he/she is not allowed to befowl the graves...as said before, taken to the side. I don't think it is a place to be considered a playground for anyone, pet or children, but if the owner/parent is seeing to a grave, they should not be prevented from bringing their dog.
Children however, should be taught to respect the cemetary from the first time they are brought along with their caregiver.
My :2cents: anyway.

Melinda
June 8th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Brina comes with me weekly to the graveyard, but I leash her when we get inside the gate and when I get to the stone she lays down beside it, but we have deer, geese, groundhogs and rabbits that visit it daily, I think its kind of neat, I bring my cleaner rag weekly to wash off the stone. But I do see where you're coming from DD. and I'm torn two ways about it.

Dog Dancer
June 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
So I'm getting the feeling that most people are okay with dogs in the cemetery so long as it's under control (same for kids - who agree'd can be worse than the dogs :D) This fellow was playing ball with his and was well ahead of it, so I'm certain if it stopped to do business he was not paying attention. And BM, yeah I think we're all used to getting pee'd on and it's only gonna get worse! Interesting responses.

Floppy Dog
June 8th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I'm on BM's side. When you think about it, cemetaries are for the living. The dead don't know what's going on above them. If you beleive in any form of afterlife, the dead are not even in the cemetary, just what's left of their bodies. While we North Americans think cemetaries are somber places, other cultures think very differently. On a trip to Mexico I saw people having picknicks, children running around playing ball, and tailgate parties complete with boombox music and beer, all in the local cemetary!

Goldfields
June 8th, 2010, 09:20 PM
When I read the original post I thought now that's the sort of cemetry I want to be in. LOL. Except that I intend being cremated and my ashes scattered in my dog cemetry/rose garden here. :)

TeriM
June 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM
I don't mind dogs walking in cemeteries but I think it is disrespectful to play ball amongst the graves :eek:. I used to live in an area with a trail that had a public access trail right through the middle of the cemetery which caused some dirty looks pointed my way but I never let the dogs go anywhere near the graves.

happycats
June 9th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I'm on BM's side. When you think about it, cemetaries are for the living. The dead don't know what's going on above them. If you beleive in any form of afterlife, the dead are not even in the cemetary, just what's left of their bodies. While we North Americans think cemetaries are somber places, other cultures think very differently. On a trip to Mexico I saw people having picknicks, children running around playing ball, and tailgate parties complete with boombox music and beer, all in the local cemetary!

I also agree with BM.
If I were buried (I plan on being cremated so I don't take up space on earth)
I would love to have dogs, kids, wildlife running and playing above. :D
I couldn't stand the thought of eternal crying, and sadness around my grave :shrug:(another reason to get cremated)

NEPEANDOGS
June 9th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Maybe somebody should start a combination dog park/cemetery!

Personally I would prefer to be buried in a dog park than a regular old cemetery, many of which seem awfully desolate and deserted sometimes. At least I would get some visitors on a regular basis! And the kind of visitors I like - the four-legged kind!

My mother is buried way out in the country, many miles from where I live in the city, and I don't have a driver's license, so I can't visit her. I just think about her every night before I go to bed, and in the summer I wonder what the rudbeckia flowers I planted next to her grave look like.

I keep hoping somebody one of these days will invent a process to convert cremated ashes into dog beds, or dog collars, or dog tags, or anything to do with dogs.

Goldfields
June 9th, 2010, 10:14 AM
I'm in the same position, nepeandogs. My mother wanted to be buried near her mother and that is at the other end of the state almost, which is tough. It was a lovely country cemetry with lush grass and big shade trees, dogs would love it, and my mum at least wouldn't care if they were there, she adored the cattle dog I gave her. The way I see it for myself though is that if I can't have any dogs buried with me, my ashes will be scattered where they lie.

Longblades
June 10th, 2010, 08:07 AM
As a child I was brought up to believe it is disrespectful to even run or play or yell myself while visiting our relatives in the cemetary. So of course I do tend to feel the same way about dogs running loose in them, but not just walking through on leash. If other dogs play ball the way mine does I'd be afraid they'd crack their skulls open on a headstone if a miss-step occurred.

On a lighter note, I don't mind for myself. I wonder if a cemetary would let me put up a fire hydrant as a headstone? :D

Dog Dancer
June 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Very interesting answers you guys. I have to say I'm surprised how many of you feel it's okay. I completely understand that we all love animals and would be more than happy to have them playing over us after we're gone. That said, like Longblades that's not how I was raised. A cemetery was a place of peace and rest and respect. To me it's just not right to let your dogs run around and play in it. Not everybody there (the living people not the ones beneath the ground) feels the same way about our animals as we do, and I am certain some people would be very offended. I will remember though if I ever agree to meet up for a doggy play date with one of you to ask where you're going before I agree :laughing:

BenMax
June 10th, 2010, 11:22 AM
DD - I was DEFINATELY not raised this way...but I took my own path. I was raised with a very strict upbringing, with high morals and standards. I deviated.

But to be honest I can understand everyone's concern about making a sacred place into a circus. Let's put it this way - I welcome anyones dog to have a blast at my resting place. I will definately not be offended.

happycats
June 10th, 2010, 11:36 AM
DD - I was DEFINATELY not raised this way...but I took my own path. I was raised with a very strict upbringing, with high morals and standards. I deviated.

Me too!!!

When it came to graveyards, there was always a fear/feeling associated with them especially at night, and made myself as well as all my friends would stay far away from then Then we moved very close to a huge one when I was in my teens, and it had nature trails through it where I often walked our dog.
While walking in there I often thought about how I would feel if I were buried there, and my feelings are as stated above, I would HATE the thought of people only coming there to cry, mourn and be depressed, that would be awful (creamation for me) not to mention the occasional vandals:mad:
I want to rest in a place thats fun, exciting, and filled with the things I love......animals :)
Spread my ashes in the forest, the beach, the lake, and maybe even the dog park :D

Love4himies
June 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread in Jasper National Park so I can be with the animals. However, if I am buried (please no :yell:), then I would be more than happy to have piddy paws running over my grave. :cloud9:

mastifflover
June 10th, 2010, 11:47 AM
If I was buried, I would want nothing more than to fell the pitter patter of doggie feet above me.

Playing ball with a dog in a cemetary sounds a little strange but life is for the living. If there is an after life, then I for one would welcome the sport.

Ok - I am totally off the wall I suppose. I can understand how some people would object however.

And again we agree. I used to take Bud when I visited my parents he would just lie down. I know that my parents would have been so happy that dogs were visiting. I had comments made to me and I would say he is visiting too or if they were rude I won't say what I said. :pawprint::pawprint:

On a lighter note, I don't mind for myself. I wonder if a cemetary would let me put up a fire hydrant as a headstone?

Too funny but I like the idea

marko
June 10th, 2010, 12:21 PM
We are a dog loving forum...and these answers are not the norm. I think sometimes we forget just how ABnormal many of our points of view are when it comes to our beloved pets.

IMO - The vast vast majority of relatives of the deceased would likely be appalled by dogs playing or walking in a cemetery....and I would agree.

It's an indication of total disrespect as far as I am concerned. Dogs (unless service dogs) have no place in a cemetery, a funeral parlor, in a church/temple, in restaurants, etc.

and let's be real - cemeteries are private property - not dogparks/dogruns.

IF you brought a dog into a cemetery purposely to be at the grave of the departed because they loved pets, that's one thing....but anything else is very disrespectful IMO.

Dog Dancer
June 10th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Marko, thank goodness you chimed in, I was starting to feel like I was from another planet :D! You summed up my feelings very well. Although I like the firehydrant marker idea, gave me a giggle.

BenMax
June 10th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Marko, thank goodness you chimed in, I was starting to feel like I was from another planet :D! You summed up my feelings very well. Although I like the firehydrant marker idea, gave me a giggle.

Blah on Marko. He is a bummer at times.:laughing: (sorry Marko):o

nansel
June 10th, 2010, 02:24 PM
It's illegal to have a dog in the cemetaries in my city. So there are people around here who don't think it's appropriate, apparently.

marko
June 10th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Blah on Marko. He is a bummer at times. (sorry Marko)

LOL - hey if you can live with my ABnormal comment, I can live with your bumminess comment. :evil: :D

krdahmer
June 10th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I think yes, playing ball is maybe not appropriate for the cemetary, but don't see a problem with people walking pets there. As long as ya they aren't pooping on sites. We have a beautiful cemetary here in the falls with long walking paths throughout, I find it pretty and serene to walk there....as do many others some bring kids in strollers, I've seen the odd dog too, I even bring peanuts to feed the overly chubby squirrels too. I know when I'm gone I want life to continue on around me....:shrug:

Frenchy
June 10th, 2010, 03:18 PM
LOL - hey if you can live with my ABnormal comment, I can live with your bumminess comment. :evil: :D

:laughing:

well .... of course I also wouldn't mind dogs peeing and pooping on my grave because .... who cares , I'll be dead :laughing: but I do understand other people who would get offended to see a dog lifting his leg on their parents tombstone ...

you guys should see what's going on at the Mount Royal cemetery at night ... :eek: we took a walk there one time late at night , when I was about 18 yr old ... we saw a couple ... having a bit too much fun :p

Dog Dancer
June 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Well Frenchy now that's just icky!! :laughing: I am pretty sure that vandals have caused much more damage and heartache to people with their damage in cemeteries than dogs have, to say the least. Few dogs knock over markers or steal them to sell for the metal. I absolutely think you should be able to politely walk through a walking trail with your dogs, and take them to visit a loved one who rests there. But running around playing ball and doing their business (as they are prone to doing when they're on the far end of the field fetching a ball) is unacceptable. I'm very much enjoying everyone's opinions here though. You guys are a hoot!

lindapalm
June 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM
I would be looking down, enjoying every minute of the dog running on my grave playing ball. I, too, was raised that you had to walk aroung each grave or inbetween them, never on them. I would hope that the owner would treat the cemetary like anywhere else, and pick up after his dog if he messes.

babymomma
June 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
you guys should see what's going on at the Mount Royal cemetery at night ... :eek: we took a walk there one time late at night , when I was about 18 yr old ... we saw a couple ... having a bit too much fun :p

lol, my bio teacher told our class that a graveyard was the best place to take somebody parking because nobody EVER goes there at night.. They are usually pretty dead after dark :P

quincymycat
June 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM
OK,, this totally :offtopic: from the original posts and if my friend knew I was putting this on a public board I would be DEAD!!!

When this friend was a much, much younger newly minted police officer, I used to hear stories about how, for reasons such as stated above - privacy, no one wandering around at night and so on - that he and his partner would go to the cemetery at night, park the cruiser with the nose on the mound of dirt from a freshly opened grave, so you could recline in the car better, turn the dispatch radio on high volume......and have a nap for an hour or so on night shift. :frustrated:

Next to a leashed or heeling dog walking through the paths next to you....this is a total lack of respect...and I believe I did let him know that quite clearly. Granted, this was many years ago and I am sure - hopefully - things have changed, but these were our tax dollars at work back then in a small town. :yell:

Golden Girls
June 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Godsfield When I read the original post I thought now that's the sort of cemetry I want to be in. LOL. Except that I intend being cremated and my ashes scattered in my dog cemetry/rose garden here. Interesting :highfive: My pup's ashes will be mixed with mine - furever together :angel2:

On Mother's Day I held my 1/16th of a dog in my arms while I visited my parents in the Mausoleum, time was a huge factor but IMHO it was wrong to bring him. After, we visited other relatives at Rideau Memorial Gardins and there was a man who allowed his dog to run around - I was appalled :eek: I asked that he leash his dog and to show respect. I love dogs more then anyone I know but it's not about what I would or wouldn't mind ... my thoughts exactly Marko :)

BenMax
June 11th, 2010, 07:04 AM
:laughing:

well .... of course I also wouldn't mind dogs peeing and pooping on my grave because .... who cares , I'll be dead :laughing: but I do understand other people who would get offended to see a dog lifting his leg on their parents tombstone ...

Making love in the cemetary would definately get a rise out of the dead.:laughing:.

Though I NEVER did that before, if someone where to lay down and bare all on my plot...well what better way to know that lust, love and fantasies continue without me! I say whatever floats your boat.