Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My youngest cat is a pig!

Sneaky2006
September 7th, 2004, 08:26 PM
My youngest cat is such a hog and gaining weight. I know she is still growing, I think she's about 7 months old. When we first got her she was on the thin side but not deathly thin or anything. She ate well when she first came here, she was sooo hungry. She was accidently locked in a garage for I don't even know how long, so we took her. She was checked at the vet before her spay surgery and was fine! I know there's nothing wrong with her, except the fact that she eats way too much and if there is no food in the bowl she makes sure she lets me know!! They get wet food once or twice a day and dry food out all the time. She hogs the wet food when we put it out, we have been holding her or putting her in a separate room right after so that way the other cats get some too.
I don't think it is really fair to the other cats to do feedings with the dry also... that's all they've ever known here and she was the last to move in!
I also don't know if I should do anything to limit her food considering she is still a kitten.
I don't know how much she weighs now because we put all of the cats on our scale and it says the same thing for all of them and I know that's not right.
Ok, scratch that! We got a weight on the cats. Holding the cats while on the scale. Duh!!
What is a healthy weight for a cat? Or does it differ with build?
They all range from 8lbs to 12lbs, her being the heaviest, yet the youngest!

iRONKNiGHT
September 7th, 2004, 08:36 PM
What is a healthy weight for a cat? Or does it differ with build?
They all range from 8lbs to 12lbs, her being the heaviest, yet the youngest!

YES it does depend on the breed of the kitty..
can you post a picture of her if you're not sure about her breed?

Trixy just turned 5months and she's around 9 lbs..but she's a maine coon and she's still growing! so in her case it's normal.. i just hope your kitty dont have an eating disorder.
-Trixy getting BiG-

Writing4Fun
September 7th, 2004, 08:39 PM
My male DSH has been steady at 16lbs since reaching adulthood. My vet says he's not "too" much overweight. :rolleyes: Yup, it all depends on their structure. Guess your little girl just isn't meant to be a delicate flower of a kitty!! :D

Sneaky2006
September 7th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I guess she's just a DSH? Tuxedo coloring? I never really paid much attention to the breeds of them. It's more like they needed a home and they got one... :D

But an eating disorder? Man, I never would have thought about that in a cat!
They also get some treats at night... which she hogs also, I just feel guilty not giving her any so I do!

Sneaky2006
September 7th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Delicate? No way!! She's a brute, that's for sure!!
Thanks guys. :)
I still don't know whether to try to limit her food intake or not...
Edited to add: She's sitting right in front food bowl for that pic!!

Writing4Fun
September 7th, 2004, 08:59 PM
She looks great! :D What a sweet face, and great colouring! I don't know if you need to limit her food. If you can't put all the cats on a feeding schedule, I have no idea how you'd limit her food anyway!

Luba
September 7th, 2004, 09:24 PM
If your cat is a pig honey you need to get that into a Ripleys believe it or not show :eek:

katy82
September 7th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I've been worried about my cat as well. I don't know what specific kind of breed he is. We just call him the big fat gray. He's weighing in at about 18 or 19 pounds right now. He's only a little over a year too. He's always been chunky though even when we got him at 8 weeks. I've tried switching to weight control food for a little over 6 months but it didn't do anything and it's not like he doesn't play he's very hyper! He's going to the vets in a little bit for a check up so we'll see what the vet says. I've heard that cutting out the cat treats can actually help alot.

Sneaky2006
September 7th, 2004, 09:26 PM
I knew I'd get that from someone, LUBA!!! :p

Writing4Fun
September 7th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Luba, you're killin' me tonight! :D

Katy82, yeah, cutting out the treats will help a lot! Also, stick to the recommended feeding amounts on the diet food, no matter how much he complains! :p Talk to the vet. He (the cat, not the vet) might just be "big boned" (aren't we all? :rolleyes: ).

krdahmer
September 7th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I would have to say that the cat treats were the culprit here when my girls were getting chunky. I did one bag of diet food, cut their wet treats by half, and really cut down on the tarter control ones and now they are a nice healthy weight. Windy is on the heftier size but the vet says that is fine for her cause she carries it well and is muscular.

And an aside....I have noticed that some cats are "self-feeders" and others need to be regimented and given certain amounts at certain times of day to avoid over-feeding. Mine are all self-feeders, they eat what they want and leave the rest for later. But my brothers cat gobbles up everything you put down in front of him immediately. So perhaps you need to only feed the recommended amount once or twice a day, if thats not what you do already. :)

Sneaky2006
September 7th, 2004, 09:38 PM
No, they self feed. I have four in total and none of the others are being little piggies about it, just her. I may have to do regular feedings but I just didn't think it was fair to the rest of them. Maybe I will have to just cut her treats out for a while and see what happens. I don't know yet.
Thank everyone for your help and suggestions!!

Yes, W4F, we are all big-boned!!! :p

katy82
September 7th, 2004, 09:46 PM
My cats love to have food in the bowls at all times. If they notice that it's empty they'll both put up a big fuss until I fill it up and than they'll just walk away with out having a bite. Totally agree with the big boned theory, if it weren't true what excuse would I use. :D My other cat doesn't have the same problem, she's a normal weight.

Sneaky2006
September 7th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Katy, your kitty looks alot like one of mine... Stormy

shihtzulover
September 8th, 2004, 06:18 AM
We have kinda the same problem as sneaky. One of my cats is very tiny and thin, doesn't really like to eat but does when she has to, the other is a pig, he weighs 17lbs, and she weighs about 6lbs. I have to leave food out for her because she would starve if I didn't, but piggy always has his fair share out of the bowl first.
It could be because he is blind and can't run around and exercise, but I love him anyway, he is a very comfy snuggle pillow. :)

chico2
September 8th, 2004, 08:39 AM
My three cats are all 10-13 lbs..they have good quality dry food 24/7,they all have a dish of their own for the wet food,twice a day..my"little"Vinnie would probably finish all three dishes if I let him,but I don't.
I honestly don't think the Diet-foods are all they are supposed to be,they just make the owners feel better :D
Better food will make the cat need to eat less,overweight cats are prone to diabities(sp?)and other problems,just like people...
Sneaky,I don't think your cat looks overweight,not yet...
Knight,Trixie beeing a beautiful Main Coon,will be bigger than regular DSH's,she's just beautiful!!as are all the others...
Here's a reminder of what mine look like,still working on my scanner-problem,so no new pics for now :(

Cinnabear
September 8th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I think if you feed them wet food you should do it like Chico, all separate. And if not done take the wet bowls away. I only feed mine dry. And one is tubbo, but I let them be self feeders on dry. No easy answer.

Sneaky2006
September 8th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Chico, that picture was a couple months ago! She's lookin mighty tubby these days! :D

When I get new pics I'll post them.

TalonsMa
September 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM
She is beautiful, looks just like my Sades, :) Last time SAdes was at the vet she weighed in at 12lbs, and the vet said she was fine. She weighs a bit more than that now...but she's a glutton, just like your girl :) But now that we have the yard fenced in, and she's allowed out when we are she has lost some. So maybe just more excersise would be in order? ;) Talon weighs 17lbs. He is big boned as the vet said. Again, now that we have the puppy and she likes to chase him around, I'm sure he'll slim down a bit! :rolleyes:

Sneaky2006
September 8th, 2004, 01:31 PM
I don't let my kitties outside, I don't trust that they will stay in the yard even with us there... But I do agree she needs more exercise! Maybe a few more laps around the house with the laser pointer will do it! :D

iRONKNiGHT
September 8th, 2004, 01:39 PM
But I do agree she needs more exercise! Maybe a few more laps around the house with the laser pointer will do it! :D

Funny i use the laser pointer for the same thing..and when Trixy is hyper i make her do a few "extra" laps to cool her off.. here's what she looks like after a workout... :p (pic is only hours old).

TalonsMa
September 8th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I don't let my kitties outside, I don't trust that they will stay in the yard even with us there... But I do agree she needs more exercise! Maybe a few more laps around the house with the laser pointer will do it! :D

LOL.....we have a big 6' high fence, and they won't jump it! Too lazy ;)
My cats don't like the laser pointer thing...must be too much work for them! Ha ha ha

Sneaky2006
September 8th, 2004, 02:14 PM
We have a 6 foot high fence too, but they love to climb. :)
She sure looks pooped IK!

TalonsMa
September 8th, 2004, 03:25 PM
We have a 6 foot high fence too, but they love to climb. :)
She sure looks pooped IK!

Do you have two kitty's? :)

chico2
September 8th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Sneaky,we started training our cats when they were kittens,we have an 8' wooden fence on one side,the other sides are hedging and link-fence.
When they were young,we took them outside on a harness and leash,but eventually without the harness.
They do however wear collars outside with name and phone=number just in case,although they are never out of my sight,I never leave them alone outside.
Little Vinnie has jumped over to the neighbors a couple of times,but quickly jumped back when he was met by their Cocker in the yard :D
It helps that I don't work anymore and I love to be outside,even in the winter.
All three of my cats are happy to go back in after a while,I call and they come inside with me.
In the summer I garden and swim,so we are usually outside up to three hours,in the winter only for a few minutes.
They do love it very much and they know exactly around 11:30-!2 it's time to go outside.
Oh by the way,our training tool was the water-hose,works great and they never even got wet :D
I also have quiet a few birdfeeders that keep them busy watching and they hunt mice in our shed,can sit there for an hour just listening.

Sneaky2006
September 8th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Do you have two kitty's?
No, we have four! :D

And chico, two of my cats don't even want to go out, now the other two sometimes try to run outside and we never let them. Well I shouldn't say that, we've let Snooky out a few times but only when he's right next to us, and he's also ran out when we come in the door a few times and he runs and hides. That's the main reason we don't let them out... it would be so hard to find them.
Where we live it is still considered the city, tons of strays and lot's of neighborhood dogs out all the time, it just makes me nervous even if we think they are trained.
I don't really trust them, but I don't trust other people even more.

chico2
September 8th, 2004, 06:18 PM
I understand Sneaky,if there was any danger out there for my cats,they would not go outside,the only other animals in my yard(in the daytime)is squirrels and birds. I do not see any stray cats and certainly not dogs.
My cats will investigate a bit first,then they usually stick close to me,just lazing around.....they've had a few years of training :D
I also have a big backyard,a couple of trees,lots of bushes and things....I would never put them in any kind of danger,as I said Vinnie the youngest still needs to learn a few things,but Rocky and Chico I do not have to worry about,they are always close to me,they know they have a good thing going :D

sujean
September 9th, 2004, 03:20 PM
regarding the piggy kitty: i have 4 cats and they are between the ages of 2-4 and they all weigh in the range of 13-18 pounds. Now, i know you will all say holy cow cats! however, i have discussed it with my vet and he states that although my cats are over the norm in weight, they are actually quite fit. believe it or not, my vet has called my cats very muscular.

but the point of my story is that my oldest cat is 18 pounds and my vet figures he is 2nd or 3rd generation of a jungle cat (which can weigh upwards of 30 pounds, full grown)

so it may be the breed...

Sneaky2006
September 9th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Chico, sounds like your place is way safer than mine... and sounds like your kitties have a good time with you outside! :D

That's good to know, Sujean. Gosh I couldn't imagine any of my cats weighing 30lbs!!! :p

Donna Marie
September 9th, 2004, 04:22 PM
She sounds a lot like my girl Cleo. Does it have something to do with them being female?

katy82
September 9th, 2004, 06:55 PM
My cat is a male and he's pretty big too so I wouldn't be able to say if it's a gender thing. As for the jungle cat theory I don't think he's a jungle cat I think he's just a little fat! Here's a picture of him. He likes to squeeze in between the patio door and the screen door. He's actually managed to pop the screen since he had his growth spurt and gained a few more pounds.

foxy
September 10th, 2004, 05:01 PM
No need to worry. My biggest cat (his name is Big Cat) weighs 17lbs. His name fits perfect.Not to mention he thinks he rules the house and the other animals. He is maine coon and they are large cats. He weighs 7lbs more than my dog and my other two cats well they know when to leave him alone. Maybe your kitty is going to be a large cat when it is full grown. :)