Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vaccine or not??

chico2
June 7th, 2010, 05:42 PM
On Friday I am taking Rocky to the vet for his blood-test and hopefully the results are better and that there is no cancer:pray:
I am taking Chico along for his annual and I told the vet-tech,I don't want Chico to get any more shots,other than Rabies if it has been 3 yrs.
Chico has had his shots every year for 13 yrs and I really believe it is no longer needed.
It's not because of the money,shots are cheap,but I am concerned about him getting shots that are no longer needed.
I know we have talked about this a million times,but I still feel unsure,if I am doing the right thing,what do you think:confused:

NoahGrey
June 7th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hi Chico,

I would discuss it with your vet...an older cats immune system is not as strong as it was in it's younger years..so it is easier to pick something up. I know you do let your cats out (under your supervision in your backyard), however at the same vaccines at an older age, could possible harm...but I am not a vet lol.

onster
June 7th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hi Chico I know my vet started last yr (or was it the yr b4?) doing shots for everything that is 3 yrs, not just the rabies. Maybe you can try that as an alternative?

lindapalm
June 7th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Can cats get feline diseases on their own , or do they have to come in contact with another infected cat?

otter
June 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I can't help you out with what is "right" but from what I've read it is quite common to stop vaccinating when they are older. My vet didn't have any problem with doing that.
...you can maybe get "titres" done to test how strong their resistance to rabies is, the titre tests basically tell you whether they need vaccinations or whether they have build up strong enough reserves from vaccination history. Maybe see if you can get them tested?:shrug:

Whatever you do will be just the right thing for you and your kitties :thumbs up

:pray: and :goodvibes: for cancer free tests!!:grouphug:

cassiek
June 8th, 2010, 12:46 AM
chico2,

Personally, I would go with a 3 year vaccine or have antibody titres done on Chico. But that's just my opinion... you need to do what's right for you. I know that the vet community around here has slowly started to move towards 3 year vaccines as they are finding out that dogs/cat have immunity far beyond their lifespan and they are unnecessary. I have discussed it with my vet who strongly recommends doing titres. She had done them on her dog and found that he had adequate immunity and did not require any further vaccines.

For my dogs, I have stopped giving vaccines. My two oldest have received them annually since they were pups, and now at 7 and 10 I am stopping their vaccines, but will likely do titre tests in the fall for them. My youngest received a 3 year vaccine for rabies and all core vaccines last summer. I will likely do hers once more when she is 6, and then stop. I will continue to take them in for yearly check-ups, but have put a halt on the vaccines.

Good luck!

Winston
June 8th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Chico have a talk with the vet. Mine has decided that we will not vaccinate every yr because Tabitha and Bomber are both 14...he figures they have enough protection. Having said that mine do not go outside at all.

Good luck on Friday! :thumbs up

chico2
June 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thank's everyone,I will talk to my vet see what he thinks,I know he would not push vaccine just to make a few $$$.
Rocky who has Hyper-T,has not had any vaccines for a couple of years,the vet not wanting to upset his somewhat delicate condition.
The vet never even asked if I wanted him vaccinated,we are too concerned about getting his HT stabilized.

Frenchy
June 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Chico2 , years ago someone sent me an e-mail about new vaccines protocol. Of course , vets are not "up to date" with it. Many of them don't want people to know about this because they'll loose $$. Still important to get them vaccinate when they're young , + the booster shots. Then , most vaccines are good for up to 7 years. But rabies are given every 3 years , I figure as a precaution.

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2002&PID=2615

Love4himies
June 8th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I am not a fan of vaccinating after the first shots, unless a pet is in a situation that it can come into contact with infected animals, then the benefits and risks have to be weighed.

I hope Rocky's bloodwork comes back normal on Friday. :pray: :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
June 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM
My gang gets a 3 year shot that includes the distemper one. I'm going to ask about the 3 year rabies, because I've got Vlad coming up for his and I hate having to put him through all that anxiety.

I hope Rocky's results are clear. :pray:

hazelrunpack
June 8th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I think rabies vaccinations are regulated by law because of the lethality of rabies and how easily it can be transmitted to humans. Most municipalities seem to have hit on the 3-yr requirement as a compromise, but probably the vaccine is effective for longer than that.

But we're cutting back on the other vaccinations here and going to titers--a little more expensive than the vaccinations, but if they don't need it, why challenge the immune system with something they're already protected against :shrug:

I hope Rocky's bloodwork comes back clean, chico! :goodvibes:

14+kitties
June 8th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Vaccine or not?? Not. Rocky's system has already taken a big hit. I'm not sure the vaccines are needed or will not do more harm.
Good luck on Friday. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

diandpat
June 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Vaccine or not?? Not. Rocky's system has already taken a big hit. I'm not sure the vaccines are needed or will not do more harm.
Good luck on Friday. :fingerscr:goodvibes:

I have to agree with this too...Rocky has been well vaccinated his whole life. If in doubt do the titers but I am sure he still has enough immunity left not to compromise him any further. Like everyone else here, I too am looking forward to hearing great results for Rocky on Friday too.

I am personally glad this subject has come up as I am at a loss as to what to do with Ziggy and Zuzu myself. My senior dogs have not been vaccinated in years (with my vet's blessing) but the cats have me very anxious.

They were both vaccinated prior to my adopting them in October with follow ups for a month later. A month later, however, they both had full blown rhino; Ziggy with a URI, eye infection and diagnosed with asthma :yell:

Can't imagine putting either of them through that again but they really aren't immunized. Like Chico's boys, only Ziggy goes out with supervision a couple of times a week on a leash...what should I do???

If they were older and had always been under my care I would not hesitate to cease vaccinating but they are young and I have no medical history on them :frustrated:

Kinda feel "damned if you do/damned if you don't" :wall:

Chico, please let us know what you and your vet decide. I wouldn't be surprised if she/he refused to vaccinate without you even mentioning it.

:goodvibes::goodvibes:

chico2
June 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Rocky is just having his blood-test,the vet never even mentions vaccination for him..and I would not do it anyway,the blood-test is stressful enough.
He might even do a biopsy,we'll see..:pray:
It's Chico I don't want vaccinated anymore,he's 13 yrs old and has been vaccinated every year until now,so that will be it for him,I think.
He'll just have a check-up and I'll have to get a cream for his tummy,he chews his hair off,which started ever since we got Vinnie.
Thank's for your good wishes,Rocky just cannot have cancer,he's my little soulmate.
It will be"interesting"taking 2 cats to the vet:cat:

Accu_Tech
June 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I know there are many posts and I have not honestly read through them all.
I have recently changed veterinary practices and their thoughts on vaccines has been the most enlightening and made the most sense.
We do not vaccinate animals over the age of 10 years old especially if they have medical problems. Having been vaccinated yearly for 10+ years has definetly built them up enough of an immune system. Rabies would be the only one we continue as it is a legal thing.

yes it is true that senior pets immune system is not as strong however the immunity they have from previous vaccines do stay so why put a vaccine in their body that they have to convert for protection instead of protect themselves against simple things as a sore belly for instance.

unless your cat is an outdoor hunter I would not longer vaccinate but talk to your vet and see what their reasoning would be to continue with vaccines.

chico2
June 8th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Thank you Accu_Tech,I think most of us hear think the same:cat:

TeriM
June 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM
I agree with the others and would not vaccinate at his age.

Good luck on friday :goodvibes:.

14+kitties
June 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Oooopppss, sorry. I gotta learn to read some posts more carefully. :o Yours is one of them. No, I do not believe Chico should get more shots. He has had enough at 13 years old.
If I had Friday off I would come help you take your kitties in. It's rare when I don't have two or more to take in. :rolleyes:
Double good luck!!

chico2
June 9th, 2010, 09:19 AM
14+,that's ok,I do that too:laughing:
Getting Chico in to the carrier is not too much problem,he's not had any bad experiences at the vet,Rocky is a different story:evil:
But with a joint effort from hubby and I,we'll manage..
I just hate it though and dread it days before,Rocky gets very,very stressed:(