Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

small, non shedding dog breeds

meggie1425
September 7th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Ok, unfortunatly, the only way i could get a dog is if its a small, non shedding breed, preferably not too yappy (i know that would probably be tough to find :D ) does anyone know of any dog breeds similar to this discription?? even a mixed breed would be fine.
thanks
-Megan

Shelly
September 7th, 2004, 08:29 PM
How about a Miniature Schnauzer or Shih Tzu, they don't shed. Almost any dog can be a non yapping dog if trained not to bark to much.

Writing4Fun
September 7th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Do you mind if I ask why it must be a non-shedder? Is it due to allergies?

Luba
September 7th, 2004, 08:57 PM
No such thing exsists

Get a stuffed toy!

krdahmer
September 7th, 2004, 09:25 PM
I have nasty allergies, but seem to be ok with Cocker Spaniels (as long as they are groomed regularly). It's not scientific, but sometimes any advice helps.

Beautygirl
September 8th, 2004, 01:17 PM
I have allergies and my dog sheds. I vaccuum often, including sofas etc. and always wash my hands after I touch her. My son has allergies too and as long as he washes his hands often there isn't a problem.

doggab
September 8th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Ok, unfortunatly, the only way i could get a dog is if its a small, non shedding breed, preferably not too yappy

I'm allergic to short haired dogs and my husband did a lot of research on hypoallergenic dogs before we made our decision. We are the proud parents of a "happy" Havanese. They are a very intelligent breed and a wonderful family dog. This breed comes highly recommended!

Just keep in mind that grooming is essential no matter what breed you decide. Enjoy your search :)

Lucky Rescue
September 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM
How about a Miniature Schnauzer

I've never seen a mini Schnauzer that didn't bark it's head off. :eek:

meggie1425
September 8th, 2004, 03:17 PM
No, its not due to allergies, its just that there are other people in the house that dont like dog hair. It dosent have to be a dog thats not yappy, it would just be prefered ;) But i love dogs so much and have always wanted one, so they agreed that if i could find a breed like this, they wouldnt mind so much having one in the house. It also dosent have to be VERY small, about the size of a cocker spaniel would probably be the biggest it could be (do they shed??)

meggie1425
September 8th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I'm allergic to short haired dogs and my husband did a lot of research on hypoallergenic dogs before we made our decision. We are the proud parents of a "happy" Havanese. They are a very intelligent breed and a wonderful family dog. This breed comes highly recommended!

Just keep in mind that grooming is essential no matter what breed you decide. Enjoy your search :)

Thanks doggab!! i did alittle bit of research on the havanese and they seem like they would be perfect for me!! :D Not only do they not shed, but its also not their nature to bark alot!! i will definetly look into this breed more! (Oh and grooming is not a problem at all!!)

Writing4Fun
September 8th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, Meggie, but I don't think there are any breeds that don't shed at all. Even the supposed "hypo-allergenic" breeds (which I'm not altogether sold on). I would seriously reconsider getting a dog if I were you. I don't want to sound mean, but if the other people in the house don't like dog hair, how do you think they'll react to puppy pooping on the rug? Or chewing their shoes? Or biting their socks as they walk past? Unless EVERY member of the household wants a dog, you should not bring a dog into that household. Just my opinion...

Shelly
September 8th, 2004, 05:48 PM
I've never seen a mini Schnauzer that didn't bark it's head off.

My parents have had Min Schnauzer for 14 years now, and the only time he barks is when a loose dog comes into their yard or a cat of course. My Dad just trained him not to bark when someone knocked on the door or rang the doorbell. And he never barks at people.

Cflat
September 8th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Again, you cannot hold specific breed traits to dogs.

I think that you must have a household meeting and talk about getting a dog. Everyone must know that dog hair WILL happen at varying degrees and that a dog is a LIFETIME committment. If someone is against it wait until you are out on your own.