Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

From good karma to real bad karma

Luvmypitgirls
June 6th, 2010, 07:20 PM
The other day I had the honor of being able to help a dog in distress, nothing could make me feel better, than helping an animal in need.
Today, I kill an innocent animal and I feel like a complete horrible sh!t.
A mallard flew right into my path and ended up hitting my windshield. I didn't see it until the very last second, and the sad thing is I made eye contact just before impact.
I had to pull over and get out because I felt like I was going to vomit I was crying so hard. Poor hubby tried to console me on the side of the road but it was no use, I cried from High River all the way to the North end of Calgary, and then started again when we reached the side highway into High River on the way home.
I feel absolutely horrible....I am so sorry:cry:

The other thing that really hurts is I was told ducks (mallards), mate for life, so not only did I kill one, I left another without a mate and probably a broken heart :cry:

ancientgirl
June 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Oh no! I know you must be feeling terrible still, I don't blame you. I'd be beside myself. You didn't do it on purpose. Had you been able to avoid hitting him/her you would not have done it. :grouphug:

:rip:Mallard

Tundra_Queen
June 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Don't beat yourself up. You didn't do it on purpose and maybe the duck was sick and that is why he flew into your path. :grouphug: :grouphug: I know u must feel terrible, but be kind to yourself it was an accident. HUGS

Debbie

Melinda
June 6th, 2010, 08:21 PM
*hugs* I know the feeling, mating for life means as long as both are living, if one dies the other will find a mate before the season is over, our mallard was back this year with a new missus after his was killed by a wolf

Luvmypitgirls
June 6th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Oh no! I know you must be feeling terrible still, I don't blame you. I'd be beside myself. You didn't do it on purpose. Had you been able to avoid hitting him/her you would not have done it. :grouphug:

:rip:Mallard

Yep I still feel terrible :(, but ty for the hug:)

Don't beat yourself up. You didn't do it on purpose and maybe the duck was sick and that is why he flew into your path. :grouphug: :grouphug: I know u must feel terrible, but be kind to yourself it was an accident. HUGS

Debbie

Our ditches are full of water and we've been seeing lots of ducks enjoying them. I think he/she was trying to get across to the ditch with all the other ducks:(
thanks for the hug tho....:)

*hugs* I know the feeling, mating for life means as long as both are living, if one dies the other will find a mate before the season is over, our mallard was back this year with a new missus after his was killed by a wolf

Oh Melinda thank you for telling me that, still the mate must be wondering where it's mate is, if it had one :(
Again thanks for the hug.....I still feel like crap, but there wasn't anything I could've done...it's just gonna hurt for a few days.

chico2
June 7th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Awww LMPG,:grouphug::grouphug:
There's been a lot happening to you lately involving animals and your huge heart trying to help.
You would be the last person to willfully hurt an animal,this was a very unfortunate accident,one that could not have been avoided,but I know that fact does not make the hurt any less.:(

Luvmypitgirls
June 7th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks chico2, still have an ache in my heart, things like this really affect me.
Today I was nervous going to the diet clinic, I was like trying to watch the road and sky and the ditches all at the same time, no easy feat.
To make it worse, there were several dead birds, and a dead kitty, and a dead fox....:cry::cry::cry:
It's a dangerous road for wildlife:(
I just:pray: that the duck I hit was killed on impact, I hope it didn't suffer, we tried to find it to make sure but we couldn't find it.:(...:cry::cry::cry:

BenMax
June 7th, 2010, 03:45 PM
:grouphug: I am sorry this happened to you of all people.

chico2
June 7th, 2010, 04:46 PM
LMPG,I have had birds fly in to my large living-room window and thinking they were surely dead,laying on their back legs straight up.
However as soon as I approache,they fly off,probably just stunned from the impact.
Maybe your duck was ok:pray:

Dog Dancer
June 8th, 2010, 12:46 PM
LMPG, what an awful feeling that is. But maybe Chico2 is right, maybe it just grazed your window and was okay, they are pretty tough birds you know. A few weeks back I was driving by a local lake on a 30km road and there was a beautiful Mallard boy crossing the road. A car coming the other way, going way over the limit, just drove right over him. I was horrified!!! The ducks mate was on the side of the road waiting to cross also. The duck rolled under the car (fortunately didn't get hit by the wheels) and then stood up and shook himself off. I do hope he was okay, there were several people there, so hopefully somebody was able to help him. I had my dogs with me so I couldn't do much and had to keep on going. But it was heartbreaking to know such morons are out there, who deliberately do harm to these animals. Turns out they are protected here by the migrating bird act or something. Wish I could have gotten his licence plate. This guy deserves bad karma, you just had bad luck.

Luvmypitgirls
June 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
LMPG, what an awful feeling that is. But maybe Chico2 is right, maybe it just grazed your window and was okay, they are pretty tough birds you know. A few weeks back I was driving by a local lake on a 30km road and there was a beautiful Mallard boy crossing the road. A car coming the other way, going way over the limit, just drove right over him. I was horrified!!! The ducks mate was on the side of the road waiting to cross also. The duck rolled under the car (fortunately didn't get hit by the wheels) and then stood up and shook himself off. I do hope he was okay, there were several people there, so hopefully somebody was able to help him. I had my dogs with me so I couldn't do much and had to keep on going. But it was heartbreaking to know such morons are out there, who deliberately do harm to these animals. Turns out they are protected here by the migrating bird act or something. Wish I could have gotten his licence plate. This guy deserves bad karma, you just had bad luck.

I wish I could believe he was just grazed by my windshield, unfortunately there was evidence on the windshield and roof of my car to suggest otherwise :(

mastifflover
June 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM
:grouphug: You really need one this week We all know you feel horrible and would never hurt an animal intentionally.

Gail P
June 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Sorry this happened. Ducks are not always very smart (or don't look where they're flying). Just last week we were out working and a female Mallard just about flew into Storm's head, and he was just standing still, not moving fast like a car. He could easily have had himself a duck lunch if he had wanted, but he kind of looked at the duck where it landed in the water in front of him after suddenly banking away at the last second, looked at me (telling him to leave the duck and focus on the geese we were working), and got back to work. That was one lucky duck.

Luvmypitgirls
June 13th, 2010, 12:50 AM
:grouphug: You really need one this week We all know you feel horrible and would never hurt an animal intentionally.

Ahhh yes, I can use a lot of those these days :grouphug:...