Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats or Dogs?

14+kitties
June 5th, 2010, 10:22 AM
So lurking in the TJT :o I saw a comment - My bf was a cat person but I managed to convert him. That got me thinking - what makes us cat people or dog people? Why can't we be both?
As most know I have a lot of cats. I love each and ever single one of them. I also have two dogs whom I love dearly. I am dreading the day we have to say goodbye as they are both getting old. :(
Does a cat person live a different lifestyle than a dog person? The cat person being more sedentary; the dog person more active? Is that what makes it? I am on the sedentary side. Not physically active by any means but that doesn't mean I'm a slouch. I work hard. Just don't like to exercise. When the dogs were younger I took them for walks. They aren't interested in moving too far now.
Do cat people like more attention than dogs? Or less? Cats can be a tad standoffish at times. But then again....... some dogs aren't too cuddly either.
Do dogs help us communicate with other people? We take them for walks and run into other doggie people or someone who wants a dog like ours?
Just thought I would open this and see what other people come up with. Me - I'm completely confused as to what a "dog" person is and what a "cat" peron is................

serenamlambe
June 5th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Hahaha - That was my comment! I meant it more as a joke, but it is an interesting thing to think about.

For Josh, he had grown up with cats and was never around dogs before. He didn't not like dogs, but had no special place for them in his heart. After living with Connor for a while, though, he loves all dogs now! If we see a dog walking down the road, he's the one more likely to go see if we can say "Hi!" to the pup. He still loves cats too! If I wasn't allergic, I assume we would have one. We're waiting until we can buy a piece of land and have a barn cat! Hahah. :)

I like cats and have lived with them before. But I'm wary of them because of the allergies...

I recently read this article, though, that talks about exactly some of the things you mentioned.

http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/dog-people-vs-cat-people/10716

I don't know how accurate it is, but it has some interesting stats in it though!

quincymycat
June 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Although my house is FULL of kitties and all their supplies.....I prefer to consider myself an ANIMAL PERSON!
Be they big or small...I love them all!!

14+kitties
June 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hahaha - That was my comment! I meant it more as a joke, but it is an interesting thing to think about.

I know.

For Josh, he had grown up with cats and was never around dogs before. He didn't not like dogs, but had no special place for them in his heart. After living with Connor for a while, though, he loves all dogs now! If we see a dog walking down the road, he's the one more likely to go see if we can say "Hi!" to the pup. He still loves cats too! If I wasn't allergic, I assume we would have one. We're waiting until we can buy a piece of land and have a barn cat! Hahah. :)

Barn cat? Man, I hate that term!! Cats are cats! Shouldn't matter where they are forced to live.

I like cats and have lived with them before. But I'm wary of them because of the allergies...

Have you been tested? Have you been around cats on a regular basis? My kids are all allergic to cats. All three have cats, not dogs. :rolleyes: It's funny. Most people can have allergies to cats but still be around their own. I really blame doctors for this phenomena. As soon as they do allergy testing and cats are on it it's "Get rid of the cats!" :( They don't bother looking at the other factors in the environment or household that probably cause more of the symptoms. My youngest stepson blames my cats in the house for his allergies when in fact it is all the dust he stirs up in his filthy bedroom. :frustrated: Sorry, personal rant.

I recently read this article, though, that talks about exactly some of the things you mentioned.

http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/dog-people-vs-cat-people/10716

I don't know how accurate it is, but it has some interesting stats in it though!

Yep, slightly skewed stats if you noticed. The "study" that was done had more than half of the participants as dog only people. Just a little more than 1/6th of the study owned cats. Another slightly more than 1/6th owned both. Now how is that a fair and impartial study? :shrug:

Although my house is FULL of kitties and all their supplies.....I prefer to consider myself an ANIMAL PERSON!

Exactly my point QMC! Why can't we love them both equally? Maybe the cat's mystique has something to do with it. They have such a reputation for being standoffish and not affectionate unless on their terms. I wish people would actually take the time to spend some quality time with a cat. I'm sure their thoughts would take a drastic change. Most of my kitties are huge sucks!!! :cloud9:

I don't know. Maybe part of it is that you don't have to do anything for cats except feed and water them and make sure their litter is clean. Dogs are a little more work.

Frenchy
June 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Cool question but I don't know the answer :o

I've replied 3 times , and deleted my 3 replies .... because I have a hard time explaining it , choosing the right words to express what I think about the subject ....

I like my dogs because I have a strong bond with them. I like the fact that , they're always by my side , outside or inside. They look up to me :o

My cats ... I like them because they're independent , they will snuggle with me only on their own terms , and when they do , I know it's only because they really like me :laughing:

none the less , if any of them would get sick , they would get equal vet care , I would put as much money on my cats that I would do for the dogs. So basicly ... I love them all , but for different reasons. :shrug:

Frenchy
June 5th, 2010, 01:05 PM
They have such a reputation for being standoffish and not affectionate unless on their terms.

they will snuggle with me only on their own terms ,

But mine do act this way 14+ , they don't like to be held , they don't like to snuggle too long .... not as much as the dogs anyway. :shrug:

14+kitties
June 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I know Frenchy. I am not expecting an answer. There isn't one. It just irks me a little to hear those terms. Dog people, cat people.
And barn cat can be added on to that list. No one has heard of a barn dog. Why do we have to have barn cats? I know. :rolleyes: They have to keep the mouse population down. But dogs can do that too. They just wouldn't dispose of the bodies as readily as cats would.:yuck: In fact Sammy probably eradicated more mice in her lifetime than most cats do. She, in her younger days, would go hunting for hours. We watched her out in the fields grabbing mice, throwing them up in the air, playing with them till they were dead, and then she would leave them and go on to another mouse hole. One afternoon my oldest stepson counted over 20 that she had killed.
Sorry, must have gotten out of bed on the wrong side this morning. I'm a tad bit cantankerous! Hope I get over it before I head to work!! :p

quincymycat
June 5th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Exactly my point QMC! Why can't we love them both equally? Maybe the cat's mystique has something to do with it. They have such a reputation for being standoffish and not affectionate unless on their terms. I wish people would actually take the time to spend some quality time with a cat. I'm sure their thoughts would take a drastic change. Most of my kitties are huge sucks!!! :cloud9:

I don't know. Maybe part of it is that you don't have to do anything for cats except feed and water them and make sure their litter is clean. Dogs are a little more work.

Unless you have a chronically ill kitty...more work than 5 dogs put together. Or big sucks that you have to sneak out of the house for fear they see you going and drape themselves in front of the door.
What ever the case....love for them and the love from them makes everything worth while! :lovestruck:

serenamlambe
June 5th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Sorry about using the term "barn cat"... Didn't know it would stir up such a fuss! We hope to have some farm animals in the future, requiring a barn, and we have considered having a cat live there as well. It doesn't mean she/he would be neglected, forced to chase mice, or not have any human companionship. We would never ever have an animal that we couldn't properly care for.

Like I said before, I'm not against cats. I think they are beautiful, but I just have never had the opportunity to develop a bond with one. Connor and I lived with a cat once without too much trouble. However, if it happened to rub against my bare skin, I would often break out in a rash. If she managed to get into my bedroom, I would get all stuffed up. Hence, I avoided her. Connor loved her though & they would play together, sometimes. She would chase him around the house, oddly enough.

Perhaps if I was around her for more than the three months we lived in that house, I would have been able to develop an immunity. If we were to adopt a cat in the future, I would certainly test this out.

Sorry if I offended anyone!

Yep, slightly skewed stats if you noticed.

Hahah, yeah, I did! What can you expect from a dog magazine, huh?

luckypenny
June 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM
No one has heard of a barn dog.

Oh, there are so many "barn" "shed" "garage" "backyard" "outside" dogs around here too :(.

I love all animals. As circumstances have it, we just happen to have dogs in our lives and, unfortunately, one who can't live with cats. I've also developed a serious allergy to cats after 37 years even though I grew up with them all my life :shrug:.

I assume that when some refer to "cat people" versus "dog people," it can be based on their experiences, not necessarily a preference of one over the other. Then there are some folk who aren't comfortable with dogs just as there are those who aren't comfortable with cats. I don't see it as an 'us against them' sorta thing. I envy you guys who can have both and super envy those who have all sorts of animals that can live together, not just dogs and cats.

ancientgirl
June 5th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I think "cat people" are seen as solitary anti-social people by most of our society. "Dog people" are seen as more outgoing. Have you ever heard of the crazy cat man? :rolleyes:

I love all animals. If I had the means, I'd love to have a farm with horses, a couple of pigs, some goats and a cow or two. Along with my gang and some pups.

I'd love to have a dog. But living where I do, it would have to be a smaller dog since I have no yard and yes, I'm a couch potato.

Perhaps if I was around her for more than the three months we lived in that house, I would have been able to develop an immunity. If we were to adopt a cat in the future, I would certainly test this out.

Have you tried using medication? I'm allergic to cats, and I live with 5. I now just need a nasal allergy medication a couple of times a week. I've gotten pretty well used to my gang.

MyBirdIsEvil
June 5th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I think it has more to do with most dogs being pretty clingy, requiring a lot of attention (daily walks, training, etc.). And cats are pretty low maintenance, you feed and water them and they generally take care of themselves, mostly potty train themselves, and come visit you when they feel like it.
Dogs are better for people that want an animal to take places with them and do stuff with, and people that don't mind housetraining.
There are some dogs that don't fit the stereotype, and some cats, but mostly I think those are the factors.
It also probably has a lot to do with what people grew up with. The majority of people I know with dogs had dogs as kids, or were around them a lot. Cats being a similar scenario.

Just a quick note regarding allergies, I do know people that have had luck with meds or shots for it. There are also some cats that don't tend to trigger allergies (don't have the same thing in their dander as other cats), so that's something to look into if you want a cat.
I don't think cats belong in a barn. Barns tend to be out in the country where a cat can be attacked or killed/eaten by wild animals such as coyotes. And most cats aren't going to just stay around a barn, they're going to wander around the property, or off of it, where something bad can possibly happen to them. Just my :2cents:.

14+kitties
June 5th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Gotta say I agree with most everything that has been written. Very well thought out folks. :thumbs up
Let me explain the reason the "barn cat" thing is a little irritating to me. The first vet I was taking my catty cats to here referred to them as barn cats. I liked this vet - mostly. I didn't like the fact that he knew I did all I could for the cats that came into my life and they did not in any way shape or form live in a barn and yet he still insisted..... barn cats. Petty of me I know but still - irritating. I grew up around and occasionally on farms. Barn cats to me are pitiful, dirty, ferocious little creatures who run when anyone comes near. Again - not my cats. So the term barn cat gets on a little nerve occasionally and I get irked. No problem. I get over it too. :D
LP - I know dogs do sometimes find themselves living in barns. Just not near as often as cats. At least not in this area.
MBIE - I totally agree. Now to convince the farmers. :rolleyes:

Tundra_Queen
June 5th, 2010, 11:35 PM
I was a dog person, I loved kittens as a child, but my brother was allergic so we never had kittens in the house when I was growing up only dogs so I didn't learn how to be intuned to cats or learned what different personalities a cat could have.

When Willie was born in our garage 8 years ago I was not a cat person. But that was only because I was never around cats a lot so didn't know how sweet and funny they could be and how every one is different. After Willie came into our lvies I was completely changed. I found out about the wonder of cats and how funny and entertaining they really are.

My son keeps telling me he doesn't like cats. I said this to him...(he has 2 kids Rosie, 7, and Corban 2,) You don't expect Rosie and Corban to be the same do u? You know they each have different personalities and like different foods...Rosie hates fruits and veggies, Corbans loves them. Corban is funny and happy,,Rosie is quiet. You don't love one more than the other because of it,,,u just know what makes them special and that they are different from each other and u appreciate their differences.

Well, you have to get intuned to each cat to find out it's personality as they are all different. They all like to be approached in different ways,,,willie may bit if petted on the wrong spot, O'Shawnnessey wants to make friends with everyone, Darby is very laid back and is a cuddle bum and Mirabelle is skittish so u must let her approach you and be patient until she learns that u won't hurt her. You must take the time to get to know a cat just like you would a person, cause they are all different.

I think he understood it better after I put it that way.

Debbie

krdahmer
June 5th, 2010, 11:37 PM

That's definitely my category! (arachnids aren't animals right?!?:yuck::laughing:)

And I think the allergy excuse is the one that bugs me the most as to why people can't keep or get a cat (yet they are fine with dogs).... I was tested again not 2 years ago for my allergies and again as always cats/animal dander came up as my biggest allergen. Well I have 7 cats, and I'm just fine....I mean I blow my nose more than most....but these guys are so worth it....I can't imagine my life any other way! The only reason I don't have a housefull of other animals (almost brought home a bunny the other day...) is because my house is too small and 7 cats is already pushing it....but one day....I want dogs and birds and bunnies....and....;)

serenamlambe
June 6th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Have you tried using medication? I'm allergic to cats, and I live with 5. I now just need a nasal allergy medication a couple of times a week. I've gotten pretty well used to my gang.

I did take some Benedryl and some allergy meds when I lived with the cat. I just didn't live there long enough (moved out for other reasons) to really get used to her or improve my symptoms. Other than her, I haven't had much exposure to cats. I have an extended family full of dogs.

I don't use the allergies as an "excuse," but everyone has to remember that there are various degrees of allergies too. Not everyone is the same. I would love to try to be around cats when the time arises, but I can't be sure I'll be able to.

There are also some cats that don't tend to trigger allergies (don't have the same thing in their dander as other cats), so that's something to look into if you want a cat.

I've heard that Ragdolls are good for allergies? Is this true? I've never actually been around one of these before. But I will certainly look into different types of cats if we plan to get one... more likely we'll adopt from a rescue. But it's always worth getting more information. We had Siamese at the pet store I worked for one time and being around these was the worst I've ever reacted. It didn't stop me from cuddling/visiting them, but I was a mess.

And, I just wanted to say, for the record, that if I were to have a "barn cat" it wouldn't be wandering all over creation. I would be much too worried about the little creature for that. Joshua and I have spoken about maybe putting in some kind of enclosure for them to go outdoors. We'd probably also take two - so they could keep each other company when we couldn't be around. It would in no way be some filthy, neglected, outdoor cat. Maybe we're dreaming, but we have high hopes for this "barn" of ours; basically we want it like a wide open house for some animals, insulated, heated, the whole works.

My dogs have always been members of my family, as has our lizards, fish, stick bug, bunnies, and the occasional spider kept in a jar for a day. I can't see why a cat would be any different! I've loved them all, but like someone else said, just for different reasons :)

chico2
June 6th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I too am a little perturbed whenever someone says to me"Oh,you are a cat-person":yell:
Yes,I have cats and absolutely adore cats,if it were possible,I would also have a couple of big dogs,a few birds,a couple of Ferrets,a horse,a cow,a couple of cute pigs etc....bottom line I am a 100% ANIMAL-LOVER!

Frenchy
June 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM
LP - I know dogs do sometimes find themselves living in barns. Just not near as often as cats. At least not in this area.

Oh, there are so many "barn" "shed" "garage" "backyard" "outside" dogs around here too :(.

What LP meant was not so much barn dogs but dogs tied up outside , to a small dog house (if they're lucky) and with only 4-5 feet of rope / "freedom". And that , 24/7 for all their lives . I know LP's area , and mine also , are full of them. :(

Goldfields
June 6th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I don't use the allergies as an "excuse," but everyone has to remember that there are various degrees of allergies too. Not everyone is the same. I would love to try to be around cats when the time arises, but I can't be sure I'll be able to.

I can believe that, that you can't be sure. A girlfriends daughter is madly allergic to DOGS and 5 minutes here sees her nearly scratching skin off her arms. It's for people like this that we have laws about no dogs being taken into Motel or Hotel rooms. Fortunately for her, she isn't allergic to cats.

As a foreigner I have to say that the term barn cat to me seemed nice, like just a cat with a nice cosy place to sleep, play and chase vermin. We call the wild ones 'ferals' you see. However, if people use the term barn cats in a derogatory way there , yes, I can imagine how it would grate on your nerves.
When I worked on a horse stud they did have a barn, but not what you'd call one I guess. A big feed room with a row of stables backing onto it, separated by a passage, a loft etc.. They had a 'barn cat' there that we stood totally in awe of because the problem there was rats, not mice, and she was a champion ratter. If you lifted tins of feed off others and a rat or two streaked up the wall, she would go ceiling high after them, seemed to kill them on the way down, then drop it and quick as a flash go for the next one. She was brilliant.

cassiek
June 6th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Great thread topic 14+! :thumbs up

This is a tricky one... I think often we assume someone is a "Cat" or "Dog" person based on which they predominantly have, whether that's accurate or not. Maybe the person prefers one to the other or maybe their living situation simply favors one to the other (i.e. someone who lives in an apartment may have cats but not dogs simply because it is easier... it may not be that they dislike dogs, but just that their living situation is more suitable for cats).

I think lifestyle has some bearing on it... but is not the determining factor. I do know of some individuals whose profession, living situation etc. is better suited to one type or another (i.e. a Dr. who is on call and gone for many hours of the day may be better suited to a cat, who does not need to be let outside every 8 hours for a washroom break etc). Although this does not mean it is not possible to have a dog in this scenario.

For me, we have always had dogs growing up, so I haven't spent much time around cats. I lead a fairly active lifestyle, although my living situation at times would have been easier with cats :laughing: I enjoy having a buddy to go biking, hiking, roller-blading etc. with so a dog typically fits better with my lifestyle. I also really enjoy doing alot of obedience work i.e. agility, rally-o etc.

I consider myself just an animal person... I currently have 3 dogs, 1 rabbit, 1 tarantula and a tank full of fish. Have also owned several other animals in my life. Would like to have an acreage one day with some cattle, horses, laying chickens, etc. so I consider myself overall just an animal person. :D

Goldfields
June 6th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Because cats wander, or maybe it's because they catch mice, I just don't know, but it seems that every time we have introduced cats here, they have bought in ringworm with them. Now, seeing I had let a cat be too friendly when I was a child and suffered with a ringworm because of it, I did not really like cats much at all. They were a necessary evil here because of the mice though so I went out and got two lovely ginger kittens - which we found had ringworm! :eek: Then, after the last of those two died at 17, we were given the Persian - which we soon found had ringworm! :eek: I have a video of her meeting my cattle dog for the first time, she pats him on his nose with her paw - he gets a ringworm there!:eek: She flouresced on the paws and face under a Woods Lamp. That episode meant quarantining all my dogs and not showing them just when my male cattle dog only needed a few points for his Ch title :( , plus a $500 vet bill, a lot of money back then, to treat all the animals with Grisovin.
I must love cats though if I don't hate them after all that. :laughing: I will say this though, no cat comes on this place in future unless it gets a Woods Lamp over it first.

14+kitties
June 6th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Ringworm is kind of a bad subject right at this moment with the recent problems in Toronto so I am not even touching it. :(
LP and Frenchy - I know there are a lot of dogs tied to various places or in terrible situations. I hate it. :( I wish it could be changed. In this case I was more thinking about my concept of what "barn cats" are around here. It's very sad to see so many kittens being dropped at farms and the owners don't want them. They aren't fed. They have no human contact. They become sick and emaciated. And people just don't care. :cry: The words I'm trying to say aren't coming out the way I want them to tonight. Maybe something to do with being up since 6:30 and working. :shrug:
Anyway - thought I would post a couple of pics of one of my sucks. This is how I spend part of my nights on the comp. Meowzer likes his snuggles and loves attacking the moving things in front of him. He's a bit of a kook. He fits in well here. Second pic he's got hold of the camera strap.

Goldfields
June 7th, 2010, 03:28 AM
I think someone painted that white marking on his nose, 14+, it's so perfectly even. :) Nice eyeliner he's wearing too, ( that's what we'd always say about good pigmentation on a red cattle dog). A handsome fellow.

chico2
June 7th, 2010, 06:51 AM
14+,that's funny,Rocky is sitting on my lap too right now,it's become another one of his habits,when mom starts up the PC,that's his place to be:cat:
They all three have so many habits,I could set my clocks by them..
Meowzer is such a beauty:cloud9:

TeriM
June 8th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I am one of those blessed enough to share my life with both dogs and cats. I probably talk about the dogs a lot more because we do a lot more stuff with them. They travel a lot with us and are a large part of our outdoor life.

The cats however make our house a home :lovestruck:. Occasionally my mom is looking after them for our holidays and has them a few extra days and it always feels so lonely without them here.

When I lost my first cat Bud :rip: I really thought that we might not get another cat for quite a while. I only lasted a few weeks before I was in such bad kitty withdrawal that we adopted Desi and then Fred a few months after that.

ownedbycats
June 9th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I was thinking about this. I think some people are better with one kind of animal than another. I've met peole who just seem to attract dogs or cats, and seems to understand exactly what the animal is telling them and how to get that animal to do what they want, even if it's not theirs. The person may like dogs and cats equally but just be really good at understanding one particular species.

BrownEyedGirl
June 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
What an interesting discussion, to which I have nothing significant to add :laughing: so I'll prob just ramble

Growing up, we had both dogs and cats, usually at the same time. To be honest, I dont remember much about the cats, only that they were "there" but weren't interested in my sisters much. I dont remember snuggling or cuddling w/Blake (our cat) as he was just prob very independent. On the other hand, our dogs went camping w/us and were much more part of our daily lives.

Anyway, when I moved out of my house I had a cocker spaniel :rip: that I dearly loved. Never had a cat since.

when I married my DH (now an XH) he didn't want animals because of the upkeep and he was fanatical about keeping the house CLEAN so no pets for us. Altho we did have a guinnea pig when our DS was younger.

Anyway (see nothing but a ramble) when we got divorced, DS and I lived in an apt. When I finally bought my place, DS started asking for a dog. I began to seriously think about it and how a dog would really enrich our lives. However upon more thought, it wasn't going to work. No yard, both of us gone all day and I had some allergies to cats.

Sooooo one day I had gone to the pet store w/my friend during lunch and they had the cats up for adoption there. It was love at first sight :lovestruck: when I spotted my girl. Went home, talked to DS, 2 days later she was home w/us. And the rest is history.

My allergies suffered horribly the first few days. I started taking Claratin, daily at first, then every other day. And now nothing. I'm fine.

And the funniest thing - Izzy has XH wrapped around her paw, he is in LOVE with her!!!

happycats
June 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Agreed!!! I'm a hopeless animal person (love anything with a fuzzy face :)

(sorry Frenchy) even mice......as long as they stay out of the house....and shed !

Frenchy
June 9th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Agreed!!! I'm a hopeless animal person (love anything with a fuzzy face :)

(sorry Frenchy) even mice......as long as they stay out of the house....and shed !

:laughing: hey if I don't see them , I like mice too :laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 9th, 2010, 06:37 PM
I don't mind when people call me a dog person (or even 'that crazy dog lady'), since it's hard to deny the dog hair on my clothes. :D But I don't categorize myself that way--I simply get along well with animals. If they want to stereotype, I let them... A stereotype is just their way of simplifying the world and if they want to miss out on the world's wonderful complexity, well there's nothing I can do about it. Many years from now when we're up to our ears in cats rather than dogs, they'll just have to adjust their stereotype. :D How other people perceive me doesn't really phase me. :shrug:

Although I do have to admit I was sorta flattered to be called a bird whisperer the other day :o :p

I think sometimes whether you end up with cats or dogs depends less on your personality and more on your situation in life--and on your heart. Some have hearts big enough to take on the challenge when they see a need, and that need may involve any (or even many) animal(s)...

Golden Girls
June 11th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I too am a little perturbed whenever someone says to me"Oh,you are a cat-person":yell:It doesn't bother me to be called "a dog-person" :) flattered actually. Mind you I have a grand-cat sitting on me right now and I keep telling her I love dogs only :evil: apparently she doesn't believe me :D

poodletalk
June 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Interesting topic, I'm an animal person, if I could I would have dogs, cats, horses, chickens etc.

Right now, I have dog(s) which suits my current lifestyle. I enjoy going for long walks in all weather and my husky mix enjoys it too! I also feel comfort when I'm home, my dog is always beside me and always ready to have a good time. (Walking, going for a car ride, swimming, chasing after balls or just lying beside me on the sofa watching tv)

With a dog, I never feel alone and she will always be my faithful friend who I can count on.

DoubleRR
June 11th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Definitely an animal person here. Have only been 3 years in total in my 52 yrs that I have not had both cats and dogs. For over 30 of them I had horses. At times I also have had rabbits, chickens, geese, hamsters, guinea pigs, goats and cattle. I currently have a snake, a budgie, fish, two cats and two dogs. Have worked in rescues and pet stores, groomed and trained for others, and have helped others in many animal related capacities.
I have found most people who choose one species over another have either had bad experiences or none at all and are going on hearsay about other types of animal. I do not mind their preferences, I just warn everyone what I have, and they decide if they can visit or not. :)

Dog Dancer
June 11th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Well I always used to consider myself a dog person, until I lived in an apartment and couldn't have a dog. Cats solved the "have to have a pet" feeling. I have since shared my life with several cats and would certainly be more than happy to have some again. Right now though we are again in a "dog" stage. The dogs suit our lifestyle also and I don't think we have the time to dedicate to more pets of any species right now. I'd have to say animal person here also.