Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rabies shots for cats

lindapalm
June 4th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I took one of our cats to the vet today, and the vet assistant gave me a lecture on giving cats rabies shots. I told her my cats never go outside, and I didn't want her or the others to have a shot. She said they really shouldn't be handling her without one, and I told her "Then don't I'll go somewhere else" She said, no, thats alright, we will . Am I wrong in not getting Rabies shots for them, and also I don't get any other feline shots for them. Should I?

Love4himies
June 5th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Rabies are pretty much non existent in our area and if your cats don't go outside, then what is the purpose to get the shot except for the vets to get money :rolleyes:. I don't get my cat's vaccinated, I don't see the need :shrug:.

quincymycat
June 5th, 2010, 08:09 AM
All my cats received initial vaccines and boosters and I don't do them anymore annually. They are all indoor cats and all have been tested and cleared for viruses.
I had one kitty...not the most healthy to begin with... a mill rescue - went into anaphalactic shock after his second set of boosters at age two. He had a mild reaction to the initial set, but this was awful. At that point I said no more.

kathryn
June 5th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Being that I work as a tech but am also an advocate against over vaccinating, I am still on their side. Sorry, not getting atleast ONE rabies shot ever is just foolish. I have been bitten before and being on rabies watch is NOT fun. I am personally vaccinated against rabies now. The reason rabies is almost non-existent in some areas is because of rabies vaccines being widely used.

Just recently I had found a litter of stray kittens on a farm and brought them to the shelter with me to get them homes. They were a bit on the feral side and I handled them alot to try and turn them around. They were not even at the shelter for a week and the one became neurological and began having seizures and his head swelled up to twice it's normal size. We shaved his fur (he was a long hair) and discovered a bite wound on his head. We had to euthanize him and being that I found him on a farm and his history was unknown, I had to drive him to a government lab to have him tested for rabies. It was NOT fun at all. Rabies is SERIOUS and my whole shelter was ready to go into lock down because almost everyone had handled this little kitten. Luckily the rabies test was negative.

Please get atleast ONE rabies shot in your pets life. Regardless of if your cat goes outside or not. You can get into serious trouble for not doing it. If your cat were to escape and came back with wounds of unknown origin, you can be required by law in some areas of the world to have your pet put to sleep and submitted for rabies testing.

It's also not fair to us techs. We don't know where your pet has been. My shelter will absolutely not work with any animals over the age of 3-4 months that have not been vaccinated for rabies. It puts everyone at risk.

I can say that yes, if I were that tech I would absolutely refuse to work with your animals knowing they were not vaccinated for rabies. It is not right to put others at risk just because you think your animals will never be exposed.

lindapalm
June 5th, 2010, 09:47 PM
All of my cats were given initial shots when they were spayed/neutered, but I have never done a follow up. My dogs get their shots because they go outside, but my cats never leave the house.