Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat constipation

lindapalm
June 4th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Is there something natural to give a cat that gets constipated about once a month? My vet prescribed Laxatone and Lactulose Syrup, but the last time after five days of giving it to her she had to have an enema, at $165.00. She is on it now, but I was hoping there was something on a regular bases I could give her so she wouldn't get this way. I feed her Wellness canned, and add water to it, and Frohms dry duck once in awhile.

Jim Hall
June 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM
hairballs no thaats not normal sounds like you feed her well and she i hydrated the vet have any ideas? how bout trying somwthong other than laxatone something a bit more natural i use aloe my self

catlover2
June 5th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I've heard that pure canned pumpkin (not with sugar or spices) is good for constipation, but not sure of the quantity you would give. Perhaps one of the cat food gurus sugarcatmom or 14+kitties will come on and give you some suggestions.

kathryn
June 5th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Pure pumpkin works great. Downside is it's almost impossible to get a cat to eat it. If you mix it into a strong flavoured cat food (ie. tuna flavour) then you can can usually trick them into eating it.

Dr Lee
June 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Organic canned squash is sometimes palatable to cats and has a high fiber content. :)

sugarcatmom
June 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Slippery elm bark or marshmallow root powder, which can be mixed into wet food (start with 1/8th of a tsp twice a day), is often very helpful with constipation issues. Some more info on how to use it: http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm

As Jim mentioned, a few drops of aloe vera juice (not preserved with sodium benzoate - Lily of the Desert (http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/83016.html) is a good brand) is another option. Here is a link with more info on feline constipation: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=constipatedcats

lindapalm
June 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Where do you get the aloe and slippery elm from, and do you just sprinkle some on the wet food? I've tried pumpkin, and she won't even consider it. She eats very little because she has laryngeal paralysis (partially closed throat) and I don't think she enjoys swallowing that much. We have to follow her around with food several times a day just to get her to eat. The meds worked on her and she pooped a little, but I would rather use something natural on a regular basis to avoid the problem. She was puking so bad and straining the other night I thought she was a goner.

Jim Hall
June 5th, 2010, 11:39 PM
oh well thats very differnt she has other problems i think you may need to see a holistic vet or maybe another vet one thong i have found for all cats they like thier food raised a few inches and warm and smelly

lindapalm
June 6th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Jim, when you give canned food, do you leave it out all day and serve room temperature, or refrigerate it and then microwave it. I'm not sure which way they like it best.

Jim Hall
June 7th, 2010, 07:33 AM
i leave it iur fi 30 minutes ir so since i am feeding food woth no oreservatives in it if you feed somethong with preservatives you can leave it out ffor a few hours