Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi from Edmonton

Ragdoll
June 4th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone!
We currently reside in Edmonton and have 3 adorable cats who we love very dearly:-) I'm excited to have found this forum to share information about out furry friends. Since my partner and I don't have children - our pets are our furry kids!!! Our first is named Kali is 6 years old and is a Hymi/Persian Cross, Jujube -he is a male Ragdoll and just turned 3 recently and his sister Jersey who is of course also a Ragdoll and the same age:-) I wanted to post as we had a lot of vets bills when we first got our Raggies - we spent hundreds of dollars trying to figure out why they were both suffering from diareah - it got to the point where the vet what to take a biopsy of their colon. I recently have suffered from food intolerances and allergies myself and so, I was confident it was a food allergy as both kitties were completely healthy otherwise (from not having solid BMs)....well, low and behold after trying 5 different brands of cat food we found our holy grail!!! I wanted to share this infomration as I know that Ragdolls can have a sensitive digestive tract and I don't want anyone else to have to be told they need to have surgery performed on their cats when its a simple food allergy. I will post the details on another thread (specifically for cat food).
Cheers!
L

sugarcatmom
June 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hi from Calgary! Welcome to pets.ca.

Glad you found a diet that works for your kitties. Unfortunately the vast majority of commercial cat food (even so-called "prescription" diets, and dry food in particular) is completely inappropriate for an obligate carnivore. There are numerous health issues that have a direct correlation to food, such as allergies and IBD, as you found out.

Would love to see some pics of your furry trio when you have a chance.

Love4himies
June 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hi Ragdolls,

I have a male who is possibly a purebred Ragdoll who has a very sensitive tummy too. He doesn't tolerate any grains or high carb food (which they shouldn't be eating anyways ;)) and does sooooooo well on a homemade raw diet. Much cheaper than vet food and much better for them. No more diarrhea or stinky poops :D.

Sure would love to see pics of your kitties :lovestruck: :D

hazelrunpack
June 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the board, Ragdoll! And yes, pics are absolutely necessary, or we'll pout. :D

quincymycat
June 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Hi Ragdoll and welcome!
I have a seal point rag who also had alot of GI probs when he was very young, but happy to say he outgrew it by about 18 months of age.
You must post pics....absolutely mandatory!!
I have a brother who lives in Edmonton....my opinion is it is ridiculously cold there in the winter, but he thinks I'm nuts for living this close to Toronto, so I guess we're even! :D