Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tear Stains - How do you get rid of them?

kodabear
September 7th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I would like to know how to get rid of those tear stains on dogs? We have a Bichon (white hair) and the tear stains just look awful. Any suggestions that really work? We've tried the ones you can buy at the pet stores, but they just don't seem to work very well? We brush our dog every day and comb through the hair under the eyes that has the tear stains, but nothing we do really seems to make a difference. I hope someone out there has some great solution. If so, please advise.

goldenblaze
September 7th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Sorry can't answer that question but I will check back for some answers. :eek: I have that with my Shih Tzu too
Good Luck

shihtzulover
September 8th, 2004, 06:08 AM
I am lucky my shih tzu has black around the eyes, but she does get those little drool lines, I usually just keep them trimmed off.
I hope you get some answers about tear stains, I would love to know.

doggab
September 8th, 2004, 02:02 PM
We use a little apple cider vinegar in our dogs food or water to reduce the amount of discharge. As for the stain, I'm not too sure :confused:. My dogs have dark coats so I can get away with just wiping off the discharge with a moist face towel and that usually does the trick ;).

moontamara
September 17th, 2004, 09:24 AM
really, does that work? is it healthy? doesn't your dog mind it? how much? casey doesn't have tear stain but he does get nasty little clumps every couple of days.

debalp
October 11th, 2004, 07:48 AM
We also have this problem. In fact, one eye tear so badly, that one of her white legs has now taken on a pink hue because when she licks it, the tear stains get on the leg. I have been treating her eyes daily with one of the over the counter tear stain remedies. I've done it for about 3 weeks. They are a bit better, but it comes back immediately if I skip even a day. I think I'll try the apple cider vinegar in the water. Some of the remedies I have read about scare me, since the eyes can be damaged so easily. It's not like she enjoys this, and tends to struggle.

.unknown.
October 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
I actually just saw something on TV about this very subject...

You first take a warm face cloth and wipe away the gunk, then carefully take hydrogen peroxide and blot away the stains.

I don't have this problem, my dog has shorth hair, so i don't know if it works, but it might be worth a try

Sheriffmom
October 11th, 2004, 02:35 PM
We found that using Brita filtered water really helped reduce the staining around our all-white dogs eyes!! (Recommended by Groomer) Also, right now is allergy season, and wet eyes and therefor tear staining is more prominent. In the later fall, winter and spring his tear staining is almost non-exsistant since we switched to Brita H2O.
From one of the dog show web sights they recommended watered down bleach :eek: , we felt that was a little too extream though for our pup.

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 03:20 PM
I tend to constantly check Den-Den for "eye boogers" and clean his eyes whenever I see any. We've never had problems with tearing. None of my Den-Dens had it. I've always thought that the tears were caused by the eye ducts being blocked. The staining is oxidation of the tears. I know the vet gave a neighbor some powder to put in their dog's water. This was about 10 years ago and I don't know what it was. You might check with your vet.

germanyjulie
October 17th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Hi...my 4 month old shih tzu (Jewel) has horrible tear stains and although I purchased stuff from the petstore like many of you, it didn't work. I did return those items as I hang onto receipts. I took our shih tzu to the vet the other day and another woman had a white Bichon with her whose face was completely white. I asked her how she managed to keep it white and she told me that when she got him from the breeder he also looked horrible. Another breeder told her about a product and she said this product is what worked on her dog. I ordered it and received it this past Wednesday and having used it twice a day since then I have since an incredible difference. It's not all gone yet, but it's alot better. She said that I would probably need to use it for a full week and then cut back to once a week. It's the only thing that has and is working on her. The only way to get it that I'm aware of is to go to their site and place an order: www.eyeenvy.com

Onto another problem...Jewel just recently started loosing some hair on the top of her head, her paws and her tail. I had the vet do a scraping of each area to check for mites or whatever, but she's perfectly fine. Has anyone else had this problem and know what causes it? She's all white, but I don't think that should be a reason. This started about two weeks ago. I do see her pulling at the hair on her paws sometimes, but I know she can't reach the top of her head! Thanks for any suggestions. Julie

glasslass
October 17th, 2004, 02:42 PM
What does the "easy to use method that my pet will appreciate"?

soya sauce
October 18th, 2004, 08:05 PM
hi. my breeder recomended this... try it, it worked for me...
mix one tbsp boric acid with boiled water. let cool. wipe away stains every night before bedtime. i find this works alot better than the solutions you buy at the pet store.

soya sauce
October 18th, 2004, 08:06 PM
oh and i if you put some cornstach where the stains are it prevents the tears from staining the fur.