Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello...I have a dog with Pancreatitis

Jodie JO
June 3rd, 2010, 12:32 AM
Hi, I live in rural Alabama and the nearest 24 hour vet clinic is hours away. I am taking my 6 yr old rat terrier named Willow to the vet in the am. I am just learning about pancreatitis and had a few questions. She was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago, she had a fever of 103 was becoming dehydrating and pooping blood. So we have changed her diet to low fat and told the kids no more slipping her table food. She has had all her medicine up to a few days ago, and it's starting over. The weird thing that happened this morning (and I don't know that it's related to that disease or not) is that she was asleep on the back of the couch and woke up looking at me and crying. I thought at the time her back legs were caught behind the cushion and she couldn't get out. So I picked her up and set her on the floor and it was almost like her back legs were asleep, it scared me and her both. After a few minutes she was ok and walking around again, so I went to work. That was the only episode of that, thank goodness. I was mainly just wondering if the pancreatitis can cause a problem with the hind area. I am just worried is all and looking for encouragement. Like I said we go to the vet first thing in the morning.
Thanks,
Jodie...worried momma of Willow

MyBirdIsEvil
June 3rd, 2010, 04:40 AM
Pancreatitis can cause symptoms like you describe due to the pain. It's odd that it only lasted a few minutes, so maybe she had a severe attack of pain, or maybe it just wasn't related to the pancreatitis at all (if she was laying weird her back end could have indeed went to sleep), hard to tell.

Good luck with your vet visit in the morning, and hopefully your girl will recover soon :grouphug:

sarnia111102
June 6th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Baby was only 7 months old when she went into her first heat cycle. We did not know she was in heat, she showed no signs and thought she was too young for heat that it was normal at about 8 or 9 months old. However, when we seen her with the male dog we knew differently (oh boy what a surprise). We assumed many days later that she was carrying pups. Well when it was over a week past the due date and she got bigger and harder I started to worry. Then another week pasted and she was hardly moving, got even bigger, and could hardly breathe. We took her to the emergency vet. That is when we found out she had pancreatitis. Moreover, if they did not remove it then she would be dead in half hour. That was an experience I will never forget, not to mention the guilt I felt for putting her through all that time of pain. I do know that also if you wait until it is an emergency it will cost you double the money!! Not to mention the suffering the dog goes through. I would say it most likely will not go away, but if by chance it did you can bet it will be back with a vengeance. Think of yourself with a major uterus infection that is throbbing tremendously beyond belief. Any time there is fever with infection there is pain. I hope this will help you to decide to have this looked at more and soon for the dogs sack and later yours (No regrets). Hopeing the best for you. :fingerscr