Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing Trouble

henryandsasha
June 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM
We have a 12 year old cat (who we've had since she was a kitten) and a dog that we adopted in January. While she wasn't impressed at the dog arriving in the house, she seemed to have been tolerating him just fine.

For the last few weeks, we've been finding evidence that she's been peeing on the carpet on our main floor. It's always happening at night while we're asleep. They're fairly small patches on the carpet (but they stink!) and always in the same general area. We have never, ever had a problem with her not using her litter box in the 12 years that we've had her. She doesn't seem sick at all and is using her litter box just fine during the day. I've never actually caught her in the act, but I know it's not the dog because he sleeps with us and can't get back up on the bed by himself.

Could this be a delayed reaction to having the dog in the house? We've had him almost four months so it seems odd that she'd start peeing because of him all of a sudden, and I'd also think that she'd be more inclined to pee in front of us to show her displeasure rather than doing it at night when we're asleep.

We haven't changed her food or her litter recently, and it's not happening every night (maybe once or twice a week) so I wasn't sure if it was a bladder infection or not.

Anybody have experience with this?

Frenchy
June 2nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
They're fairly small patches on the carpet (but they stink!)

the bad smell tells me it could very possibly be an infection (UTI). You'll need to bring her to your vet for a urine test. You need to rule out health problems first.

hazelrunpack
June 2nd, 2010, 05:42 PM
I agree with Frenchy. A radical change in behavior like that should always by checked out with a vet to rule out a medical reason.

:goodvibes: for your kitty! And welcome to the board!