Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

excessive cleaning

nova's_mom
May 31st, 2010, 06:48 AM
Nova (my cat) has been excessively cleaning himself. He is an indoor cat, first when we rescued him he hardly ever cleaned himself, I used to joke about him being the dirtiest cat ever since he didn't clean himself. I have checked him for fleas and found nothing, his food is the same as always as are his treats. Any suggestions/info as to what may be causing him to do this would be greatly appreciated.

sugarcatmom
May 31st, 2010, 07:26 AM
When you say excessive cleaning, what do you mean? Is he pulling out his fur? Is his skin damaged in the process?

What does he eat?

How did you check for fleas?

nova's_mom
May 31st, 2010, 02:25 PM
When I say excessive cleaning I mean he washes himself all over every 10 minutes. Sometimes he chews but not all the time, there isn't any fur missing from his body, a while ago the fur on his lip was gone but it has since grown back. I feed him Friskies dry cat food and Friskies wet food. The treats are whiskas temptations. The excessive cleaning started about 2 months ago. I thoroughly examined him for fleas, I also use the frontline drops between his shoulder blades. I've been using thses since last year (November).

NoahGrey
May 31st, 2010, 03:49 PM
The brand that you are feeding your cat is one of the worst. Sorry...but it is. Since he is an indoor cat, you don't need to use the flea prevention for that long...(maybe if you work with animals on a daily basis..like in a shelter, etc) I would take him to a vet..just to be on the safe side.

catlover2
May 31st, 2010, 03:57 PM
Did anything happen 2 months ago? as often overgrooming is a sign of stress.

You might also read replies in this thread "Cat Overgrooming? noticed winged bug" under Cat Health:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70554

You might run a "flea comb" through your cat's coat once a day. The black specks are flea feces. You can catch a lot of fleas with a comb--just dip it in hot water to kill fleas on comb.

nova's_mom
June 1st, 2010, 03:41 AM
I use the flea drops due to my mother in laws dog having fleas back in october and they visit now and again. Would it be better if I used a collar instead? I had one on him already ( the drops were sold out at the store I normally buy them at and decided I'd try the flea collar instead) he didn't mind it at all. Another reason I used the treatment is because I am a resident manager at an apartment building so tenants (who have pets) drop by frequently for one thing or another.
As for anything stressfull happening, nothing out of the ordinary. He is a very mellow cat, I was wondering about him washing himself so frequently because he didn't do it before.
Any suggestions as to what kind of food to give him?

sugarcatmom
June 1st, 2010, 07:10 AM
Would it be better if I used a collar instead?

No. Flea collars are horrible things, and aren't even that effective against fleas. Some flea control info for you:
http://www.eartheasy.com/live_natural_flea_control.html
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig106

Any suggestions as to what kind of food to give him?

Wet food. There is no kibble that is good for cats, but Friskies dry is particularly bad because of the very high plant/grain content (cats are carnivores) and poor quality meat sources. More info on what cats should eat can be found at this link: www.catinfo.org