Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We Adopted Meatloaf A Brother......

Princesss04
September 7th, 2004, 11:56 AM
We picked him up on Monday. Our scanner is messed up here at work but if you go to www.friendlessanimals.com. Go to the left hand side were it says dogs run your mouse over that he is in the 1 tp 30 pics. He is on the second row the second dog. His name is Princess Charming. He is so cute. :D

Luba
September 7th, 2004, 12:13 PM
OMG the cuteness is overwhelming me lol

http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/IN137/IN137.3173371-1-x.jpg

Princesss04
September 7th, 2004, 12:26 PM
He is so sweet we went and looked and looked. We narrowed it down to three and than we went again and picked him. Than we took Meat Loaf and than they played there a few times. And we brought him home on Monday. When he was brought in to the shlether he was so skinny she said and looked like he had bee abused. But he is doing so good now. He is a little jumpy but will be fine. He is so not potty trained so we are working on that. :eek: Last night Meat Loaf went up to our room and went to bed and I was like what are we going to do with Chraming. So we put him in the big bathroom. He thought he was going to die. So I got up at 4 and took them out in the back yard. They played for almost an hour I was almost asleep. So I put Meat Loaf to bed and than put Charming to bed and got to sleep until 6 but that is okay. I think he is just what Meat Loaf needed.

Okay I have some questions....

1. The lady at the shelter was feeding him Science Diet (2 cups two times a day) How often should I feed him.

2. How do you think I should do the whole sleeping thing?

3. The dog is paper trainned will that make it harder to potty train?

4. On his back feet (paw) he has a nail (toe thing) that sticks out I heard that alot of Shep. have it and I heard to just have it removed what do you think. I am afarid it will get caught on somehting/

Princesss04
September 7th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Hey Luba will you post the other ones. Or tell me how

heidiho
September 7th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I would defintely get him a crate,that thing is a blessing....

Princesss04
September 7th, 2004, 12:35 PM
How did you go about Crat training him? I have never done that before. And do you think that will make him feel bad. I mean Meatloaf does not have to be crated but he does. :rolleyes:

Princesss04
September 7th, 2004, 12:45 PM
How big of a crate should I get????? :D

heidiho
September 7th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Big enough so he can stand up and turn around,my dog never ever had an accident in his crate,and over time when i would leave it open he would go in there at night and sleep on his own or during the day when i was home he would take his bone or whatever and lay in there,i am telling you it is the best training tool to have...

Cinnabear
September 7th, 2004, 01:11 PM
How wonderful for you guys. I know its been a blessing to have 2 dogs. Oh the playing they will do. :D

Luba
September 7th, 2004, 01:23 PM
http://www.friendlessanimals.com/images/charming5.jpg

Cutie patoootie alert

Luba
September 7th, 2004, 01:24 PM
http://www.petfinder.org/fotos/IN137/IN137.3173371-2-x.jpg

Look at that belly!!!!

Luba
September 7th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Ohh I'm having puppy envy OYE !!!

Your dog is gonna get BIG so I'd get a Large crate, you can always use it later on if for example he has to be crated after neutering or something like transport. Get a large one!

I NEVER kept Sadie in her crate overnight she slept WITH me!! These young pups need to be around you so put her a bed on the floor in your room or just let her sleep with you in your bed. The human interaction like this is fantastic for them!

Use the crate only when you're not there to supervise or when puppy NEEDS a nap. They're like kids wanna play play play and sometimes need to be told when to nap.

I put carpet down then lots of blankies. The benefit of a large one is they can still play in there with room to pounce and such. Some people say get a small one but they can't stretch or get up and turn around. As the pup grows the cage should grow with him.

I never had a problem with the size of mine, it is big mind you but it all worked out lovely.

Thats where Sadie ALWAYS got fed (door open) and she still gets fed in the same spot but the crate is dismantled now, no more need for it.

Pics of her playing and eating in her crate and of her on my bed silly girl :D

Princesss04
September 7th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info. So how many times a day should I feed him. The lady had them all on Science Diet and man does his poo stink and he farts all the time. But he is so cute it does not even matter. She said to feed him two times a day but I was feeding Meat Loaf three times a day. Where do you think I should get a crate at? I was letting Meat Loaf sleep in my bed and he still does some but some one on here told me that was a bad idea because there will be Alpha problems. You do not think so Luba. Yesterday when we brought him home they played for three hours straight and finally I split them up and made them take a nap. :eek: Meat Loaf is so happy I am glad we did this. So now when Cry comes home we will have a house full. :D

Princesss04
September 7th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Cutie patoootie alert

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK HE HAS IN HIM????? :D I mean outside of pure CUTENESS!!!! But I guess I am partial because I think I have the prettiest dogs in IN. :D ;)

Princesss04
September 9th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Okay as you all know we adopted a puppy. His name is Charming. He was not potty trained when we got him (he was paper trained) he is not doing bad at it not great but that is okay. My thing is when we come in the door he will pee on the floor almost like he is so happy he just pees. Sometimes it will get on us and my purse, etc. Does anyone have any idea why and how we can fix this. Thanks for you help. :D

krdahmer
September 9th, 2004, 01:38 PM
I'm not a dog person so I can't help ya on that one....but that sure made me chuckle...a friend of my brothers in school had a cocker spaniel that peed like that every time someone came over, he was just so excited! So they started letting him out to "greet" people in the drive-way!!! *L* :D

glasslass
September 9th, 2004, 02:33 PM
What a sweet lucky puppy! Don't know about the peeing. I've heard it can be excitement or even a submission thing. I would imagine he's been holding it and then the excitement . . well. Maybe subdue the greeting a bit when you first come home. Take him out, then get all excited after you've also greeted Meat Loaf. I love watching dogs play together! He is so sweet!

Princesss04
September 9th, 2004, 03:07 PM
No the funny thing is that he will go outside and go and we can go to the store (10 minutes) and come home and before we can even get in the door to talk to them he has already peed. I do not understand I am like what is up. Meat Loaf looks at him like you had better stop mom will get you. :D :eek: I do not want Meat Loaf to think this is okay and him to start doing it. Meat loaf has not had an accident in a long time but last night he peed downstairs. So I think this is causing problems for him.

Princesss04
September 9th, 2004, 03:22 PM

Cutie patoootie alert

What BREED is he???? Just kind of curious? :D

GsdDiamond
September 9th, 2004, 03:25 PM
He kinda looks like a GSD/Border Collie (or could be Husky) mix. He's got the cutest widdle face!!!

Princesss04
September 9th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Thank you, I thought he had GSD and huskie in him as well but someone told me maybe hound because of his ears but I am not sure just wanted peoples opinion on it. :D :D

Luba
September 9th, 2004, 04:56 PM
His head it so BIG lol!!

I know you already checked your pm's princess :D

I say some GSD and Husky as well but maybe even some hound too!!
We'll have to see more pics when u get some ready !

Princesss04
September 9th, 2004, 05:01 PM
He does he has HUGE head and HUGE feet. How much do you think he will weigh Luba. Everyone says that he has a monkey tail. LOL. We all went and got our family pictures done. (Jutin, Meat Loaf, Charming, and myself) than in one of the pictures we took and held a pic of Mr. Cry so he would be in one than when he comes home we will go and get some more. :D

iRONKNiGHT
September 9th, 2004, 06:01 PM
his ear's are too cuteee.... floopy ears too adorable..just what you want cuddling up too you on a rainy day..

Luba
September 9th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Goodness impossible to say how much he'll weigh right now. All I know he is really really cute!

Cflat
September 9th, 2004, 07:52 PM
You are not crate training him then? He is loose in the house when you are out? If he is not trained he should not be loose. The longer he pees in the house the harder it will be to break him. I realize you have only had him a short time, but that pee smell will definitely attract him to the same spots. You should use Nature's Miracle. Are you going to go to puppy obedience classes? They are a lot of fun!

chico2
September 9th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Princess,I don't mean to be unfeeling,the puppy is absolutely adorable and you are wonderful for adopting him,but what about Cry-Baby???Did I miss something or have you given up on finding him :confused:
Sorry,I just read your Cry-Baby post....hope he comes back home :p

Writing4Fun
September 9th, 2004, 09:32 PM
As for his weight, my vet guesstimates by taking the weight at 4 mths and doubling it. She's been pretty close to the adult weight of dogs we know so far! :)

moontamara
September 9th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Are you still feeding your puppy Science Diet? My puppy came with the same food, but it's TERRIBLE! Wean him onto something good like Solid Gold.

goldenblaze
September 9th, 2004, 09:42 PM
This kid is just pure honey :D the face is one that everyone can love not just his mother's ;) The belly Luba is cute, waiting to have lots of rubs this will be a lucky pup come Monday. Good Luck

Princesss04
September 10th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Are you still feeding your puppy Science Diet? My puppy came with the same food, but it's TERRIBLE! Wean him onto something good like Solid Gold.

No not any more I went and bought him so Solid Gold lastnight. I know that is crap food I was just afarid to not do what she told me but I threw it away. :D

Princesss04
September 10th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Princess,I don't mean to be unfeeling,the puppy is absolutely adorable and you are wonderful for adopting him,but what about Cry-Baby???Did I miss something or have you given up on finding him :confused:
Sorry,I just read your Cry-Baby post....hope he comes back home :p

No Chico2 we still are looking for Cry Baby all the time. I went out again last night. I just called all the shelters and vet again so to answer your question I WILL NOT give up on finding him. Poor Meat Loaf just needed a friend so bad. So that is the reason we got him and I am glad that we did because they just love each other. Meat Loaf does not even want to eat unless Charming is there. :D

Princesss04
September 10th, 2004, 10:24 AM
You are not crate training him then? He is loose in the house when you are out? If he is not trained he should not be loose. The longer he pees in the house the harder it will be to break him. I realize you have only had him a short time, but that pee smell will definitely attract him to the same spots. You should use Nature's Miracle. Are you going to go to puppy obedience classes? They are a lot of fun!

No I do not think we will crate train we were talking about it but I do not think so, Meat Loaf was not so I think he will be fine. I came home yeterday and when I walked in the door he did not pee. Someone told me to let him sleep in the room with me at night and get up with him if I hear him so we did that last night. Normally Loaf sleeps in the bed with us but last night they sleep on their bed in our room and I got up once and Justin got up once with Charming and he did not go in the room at all last night. He did not even poop in the floor. He was pooping in the bathroom at least two times so I wonder if he got so worked up it made him go to the bathroom. So last night he had a good night so I think we will keep this up and see how it goes. I mean that is were I wanted him to sleep anyway. I felt bad talking about crating him when Meat Loaf would get to sleep with us, so we will see how this goes. :D