Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Calgarians - I need your assistance

14+kitties
May 27th, 2010, 11:46 AM
I am looking for more information than what I can find on the web about Bill Bruce and the program he has running in Calgary. I think it was Bailey who spoke about him before but she isn't on anymore. She mentioned about the free s/n clinic for low income folks. I think she said, or I read somewhere, that licensing dogs and cats completely paid for the clinic. I was also told that Calgary has the lowest euthanization rate in the country.
I am trying to get together an info package for my vet. She has been trying to get a low cost s/n clinic opened in St. Cats for almost five years now. It's a very slow process. Right now she does as many as she can do on her own but she told me today that it is costing her about $100,000 a year! Bless her. We need many more vets like her. :thumbs up She also has a feral cat initiative.

shirley1011
May 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM
It was posted by Tig's Mom in April this year...it was an article from the Calgary newspaper...I just did a search free spay/neuter Calgary and it came up.
Sorry I can't figure out how to send you to the post!

14+kitties
May 27th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks Shirley! Funny, I just found that one too!! I will add that to my email to her. Hopefully she finds time to read it. Thanks again!!

14+kitties
May 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM
They also mentioned in that article the Meow Foundation, which is the one SCM works through. :thumbs up There is lots of info about them on line. Great!!!

14+kitties
May 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Gawd, you gotta love this man!!!!

“If you are being a responsible owner, its none of my business how many animals you own” – Bill Bruce

I found another great article on him and what he does. All shelters should emulate his methods. JMO

http://ar-hr.com/2009/10/18/%E2%80%9Cit%E2%80%99s-about-human-responsibility%E2%80%9D-the-calgary-model-for-animal-services/

A few of the replies make some great points as well. :thumbs up